Kitchen Remodel

Hugh Jass

A kitchen my partner and I remodeled has been featured on the tile manufacturers website, so I thought I'd share. I urged against having so much white, I didn't think it was ever going to work (unless you're into hospitals). But once the backsplash went in and color was added it became my favorite project to date. What's not shown in the picture is the under and over cabinet led lighting when casts color across the counters and ceiling, which really sets it off.  

http://mercurymosaics.com/gallery/bullard-kitchen/

• Like 2

Thats a pretty backsplash there dude, is that your kitchen or just a model of what you guys are getting?

Not mine, a clients. I don't have that kind of money, lol. That kitchen was expensive. She had oak cabinets before and wanted to brighten the space. The island top used to be a floor to ceiling wall with cabinets extending to the end. We cut it down to open the space up and give more light from the kitchen to the living room and provide the island/bar space. 

Looks great. I love the sink and industrial faucet.

That sink was a pain in the ass to install. It turned out fantastic but I'd never do it in my house for what it costs. The spray rig on the other hand, that one was a top of the line fixture but there's cheap ones on the market now, and I plan to upgrade to one soon in the house I'm renting. It'll probably go with me when I move out too, lol. 

• Like 1

I like white but accents can make a world of difference in making it not be too sterile. I'm putting in a new kitchen and went with a white shaker-ish cabinet (it's a flat panel but has an extra crevice around the edge for more detail) but decided to go white cabs with dark soapstone counters and a gray island with white quartzite top for contrast.