Big mistake on my part

chadlanthier

So when I was doing my fireplace project it was minus 15 outside and with a lot of snow outside. I decided it was a great idea to cut the stones I needed in my shop with a grinder. The cuts went quick and the fit perfect, but now there isn't a corner in my shop that doesn't have stone dust in it. I also mixed concrete in there and managed to get some concrete splatter on my dewalt heater and compressor. The shop truly looks used now, it's going to take a while to clean up the mess.

• Like 1

How the heck do you even prevent that? I was cutting stucco with my angle grinder and a concrete/masonry diamond disc and the dust was everywhere is a seconds. I don't have 3 hands to hold a shop vac at the same time!

FYI, if you need an amazing diamond cutting disc, don't hesitate to buy the Hilti. Very clean cut, very "hot-knife-through-butter" smooth.

https://www.hilti.ca/cutting%2c-sawing-%26-grinding/diamond-cutting-discs/r4631527

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The worse one is a class k kitchen fire extinguisher, imagine spraying straight dawn dish soap everywhere

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would suck, I almost bought one of those recently.   i have a couple Kidde A,B,C extinguishers mounted out in the garage,one near each door. thankfully i have not had to use one yet. I try and be pretty safe.

That would suck, I almost bought one of those recently. i have a couple Kidde A,B,C extinguishers mounted out in the garage,one near each door. thankfully i have not had to use one yet. I try and be pretty safe.

Stick to an abc extinguisher for residential, best friend for a grease fire is containment, usually they burn themselves out, if it's small enough you can use salt to suppress it.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maybe get one of those Cyclone dust Deputies running and then blow everything up into the air for it to suck up using a leaf blower or air compressor. Wear a mask if course lol

ya when I sanded my entire living room I use the shop vac with a dust deputy and after about 5-6 hours of sanding the room was clean as a whistle

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I have a question for a fireman, which is you Jimbo. So in my kitchen I have one of those medium size fire extinguishers with the hose on it, its whatever class that shoots out powder. Well, when I was a child and curious I quickly pressed the trigger and made a blast, it was only a half a second blast! But that tiny bit caused the needle on the gauge to go from green, to in between red and green, basically the middle.

So its not fully discharged obviously, it can probably still put out one fire maybe. My question, where the frick do you take those extinguishers to get recharged? Its an old extinguisher too, probably at least 20 years old.

Throughout the country they have various dedicated businesses that service fire extinguishers, more common around than you think, I have two within a 10 minute drive from me.  They will recharge you extinguishers and make sure that they are fully operational.  White powder is a dry-chem extinguisher which will extinguish class a (wood, paper, couch), class b, (flammable liquids and gases) and class C, which is anything covered above that is energized. So a dry chem extinguisher is commonly called an ABC extinguisher.  The ones with the big cone on them are a CO2 extinguisher and those are for class B and C fires.  They also make extinguishers for class D fire which are metal fires such as magnesium or lithium batteries.  Class K is for your kitchen which usually is a steal tank and its a film forming soap like liquid that smothers grease fires.  

If you have a grease fire your best friend in the oven is salt, it will suppress the grease.  

But I would google search for your area where your local extinguisher maintainance facility is, and see what they charge, you might be able to get one cheaper.

56f13d82a88b5_ScreenShot2016-03-22at7.36

Heres a nice little chart that explains fire classes!

• Like 2