M12 ratchets

unclebud

I have several M18 gen 2 tools. I am wanting to get into the M12 line. I am trying to decide between the 3/8 and 1/4 ratchets. (2457 and 2456) models. Am also wandering why the 1/4" is $10 higher. I am a mechanic at a Caterpillar dealership, I use both 3/8 and 1/4 regular ratchets  daily. Do you guys have a preference on which of these ratchets to get ? Any and all info would be appreciated.

Can't speak for everyone but for myself I have the 1/4" and it seems to me to be a little stronger for some reason. I'm not using it to wrench larger fasteners but you can use it to crack lose a tight nut/bolt if you have too. And it doesn't feel like it's going to break on you. They tend to run a little slow but faster then manual. I would recommend giving them a try.

I have the 3/8" m12 ratchet, didn't really consider the 1/4" to be honest, I have all the 3/8" sockets I need to get down to the smaller heads on different fasteners.  I don't work on automotive or equipment like you do for a 1/4" to be something I would consider. I really like the 3/8" ratchet, it can tighten down bolts while I hold the nut while running unistrut or like material, and it gets it tight enough just on its own.

I guess if I was in your position, I would buy both! Because I can never have enough m12 tools!

• Like 1

Can't speak for everyone but for myself I have the 1/4" and it seems to me to be a little stronger for some reason. I'm not using it to wrench larger fasteners but you can use it to crack lose a tight nut/bolt if you have too. And it doesn't feel like it's going to break on you. They tend to run a little slow but faster then manual. I would recommend giving them a try.

Seems to be a little stronger than what? just wondering what you were comparing it to

I'm always scared to really pull on my 3/8 because it feels like something will break. My coworkers will lean their whole weight into pulling their 3/8 and they have no problems. The ratchet just feels deceptively weak. Get the 3/8. Don't know how it will compete with a pneumatic.

I guess I will start with the 3/8. I did email Milwaukee and asked if they had any plans to make a brushless ratchet this year, since the 2457 has been out for 4 or 5 years, and his reply was they have no immediate plans to offer a brushless ratchet.

I do agree with pulling on the 3/8" ratchet doesn't seem like a good idea, so i tend to hold it closer to the head when I need to give it some extra torque, just so the plastic body isn't compromised. 

I got a used snap on air ratchet a few years ago and that thing I can wrench on it like a regular ratchet and it feels like it can take it without a problem.

I guess I will start with the 3/8. I did email Milwaukee and asked if they had any plans to make a brushless ratchet this year, since the 2457 has been out for 4 or 5 years, and his reply was they have no immediate plans to offer a brushless ratchet.

You never know those guys reps are last in line when it comes to new tools.

Could the 1/4" feel stronger because you're wrenching on smaller bolts?  I have both, but I have yet to use the 1/4."  It is annoying that they are the same size body, but I guess the diameter is set by the battery pack.  I often wish that you could swivel the body (or the head, depending on your perspective) so that the trigger isn't smashed again whatever you're trying to loosen.  I use the 3/8" a lot, but often need an extension.  I generally use an impact to loosen, but I like to use the ratchet to tighten things down since there's almost zero change that it will overtorque the fastener.

Just get the 3/8 and use a reduced, the 3/8 Rachet Kit comes with a reducer I think.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess that both the 3/8 & 1/4 are the exactly the same except for the drive.  Glasseyi probably just has a 1/4 that was assembled better than the 3/8.   I would follow Jimbo's advice and get the 3/8 and use a reducer for 1/4 stuff.  Myself I use the M12 3/8 all the time but when it comes to 1/4 stuff I usually just grab a regular 1/4 ratchet with a extension, loosen all with the ratchet real quick then spin the nuts/bolts off with the extension & socket like a screwdriver.      

I would guess that both the 3/8 & 1/4 are the exactly the same except for the drive. Glasseyi probably just has a 1/4 that was assembled better than the 3/8. I would follow Jimbo's advice and get the 3/8 and use a reducer for 1/4 stuff. Myself I use the M12 3/8 all the time but when it comes to 1/4 stuff I usually just grab a regular 1/4 ratchet with a extension, loosen all with the ratchet real quick then spin the nuts/bolts off with the extension & socket like a screwdriver.

The 1/4" has a little less pounds of torque than the 3/8"

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Received another email from Milwaukee today, stating the 1/4 and 3/8 M12 ratchets will be around for another year. I was so hoping for a brushless fuel ratchet. I am going to get the 3/8 this week and when the new ones come out I will get one of them.

Could that because the 1/4 head has slightly less mass than the 3/8?  Otherwise the rest is the same.

the mass of the square drive has nothing to do with how much torque the motor can deliver. the extra mass (of the 3/8 drive) that the motor needs to turn would, if anything, reduce the torque that can be delivered to the fastener, but it would be so tiny that it's inconsequential.

I would guess that both the 3/8 & 1/4 are the exactly the same except for the drive.  Glasseyi probably just has a 1/4 that was assembled better than the 3/8.   I would follow Jimbo's advice and get the 3/8 and use a reducer for 1/4 stuff.  Myself I use the M12 3/8 all the time but when it comes to 1/4 stuff I usually just grab a regular 1/4 ratchet with a extension, loosen all with the ratchet real quick then spin the nuts/bolts off with the extension & socket like a screwdriver.      

The whole drive (well almost whole) assembly is different, which includes the anvil.  This is why the 3/8 creates more torque.