How you know its time to invest in Flame Resistant Gear...

Stercorarius

So I had my head up my ass today and ignored some basic safety and situational awareness rules when it comes to sparks. I was cutting some 1/2" by 3" bar stock in the field with a skinny wheel on an angle grinder and started to feel nice and warm all the sudden. Looked down and it took me a while to process that the sparks had caught my pants on fire. Luckily I caught it before it grew to anything bigger than a match sized Flame. Got some weird looks patting this one out. Learn from my eff-up and keep yourself out of the spark trail.

ffa91e92b7fdfc16c4eb57c45c9ae699.jpg

• Like 2

Lord oh mighty, looks like somebody forgot to wear the protective gear for the family jewels. Better make sure everything is ok, and next time be smart, work smart, your life may depend on it. Thanks for sharing the story, I am sure you won't be able to hide this from your wife, and she won't be happy about needing to buy you a new pair of pants. lol

Lol. I'm 18 and single man so I just have to worry about buying my own pants.

Ive done that before,being in metal working and welding and such it does happen. I remember one time years ago i was grinding down a bunch of welds with a bit huge grinder the wheel musta been 8 or 9 inches in diamter or so,dont think it had a guard on it.  Before long the sparks ate a hole in the front of my shirt.    The worst is when you have cutting oils and such already on your clothes.

Ive done that before,being in metal working and welding and such it does happen. I remember one time years ago i was grinding down a bunch of welds with a bit huge grinder the wheel musta been 8 or 9 inches in diamter or so,dont think it had a guard on it. Before long the sparks ate a hole in the front of my shirt. The worst is when you have cutting oils and such already on your clothes.

Yeah man. I've got a few too many shirts that look like this.

2177a67ea50e5bea7de4e0377b057be8.jpg

It took me too long to invest in some of those leather sleeves that you pull on over your shirt. It took flash burning my left arm from wrist to shoulder to the point where it looked like old brown leather the next morning, then it peeled twice over the course of several weeks. That one was from arc welding piping for several hours on a 110 degree day in a short sleeve white t shirt. I always wear sleeves on any extended welding now, don't need skin cancer.