16 members have voted

1. 1. How do You Buy Your Tools

• Save up
    • buy and Sell Used Tools For More Money
    • Use Credit Card and Worry Later
    • Side Job Money Pays for My Tools
    • I don't Buy Tools
    • Work Supplies Tools Don't Have to Buy

I like to,think I follow the forum and TIA for this very reasons. What I can't find out about a tool I look here on the forum, or ask questions. Then the hard work begins, trying to find the best price. I start with my goto tool stores. HD first, as a base price. They are pretty low on price on everything if they carry it. Then out to the old internet stores I have bought from before. Starting with ILH Canada, with conversion rate what it is, if they carry it then it will be a bargain. If not then I move on to Acme, Toolnut, Toolbarn and so on. The best is when a forum member spots a deal somewhere and posts it for all,to,see. Sweet hook up. And I thank you Comp. for ILH.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[emoji848]

• Like 1

I check around and then depending in what it is I see what the average price is on eBay, lot of brand new tools from kits obviously buyer beware, I'm pretty impulsive with buying if you guys have noticed.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I see something I want on here in a sale someone posts and buy it. More often than that, I am working on a project at work or for myself and hit a point where I have to have a tool to finish it and I buy the nicest rendition of that tool that I can afford at my local tool supplier, iif they don't have it I either go to the locally owned Napa or to the HD depending on the tool.

22 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

Yo Comp listen here man, I used to put all my tools on credit. I saw a tool and I wanted it and I wasn't going to let money get in the way of it. Ohhhh that new tool, so sexy, you can't wait to start using that shit! But once you get the tool, you have to be careful not to loose all your shit.

But I learned a hard lesson about charging things to credit with a 19% interest rate.  The quick answer is to not do it. I know I know, when we were all in HS kids always were saying DO IT, DO IT. But its a conspiracy I tell you, you go and do it, and you find yourself yanked into the financial abyss of Davey jones locker.

Its better to save up for the tool that you want to buy, but you can save up just the same from money you make on a side job, or your day job. Heck, if your really smart, find some lonley slut somewhere, and you can make it big letting her give you a BJ.

So, how do you secure a tool? Well you just do it!

Wow protoolnut, did you have to include your second last sentence, it doesn't even make sense......

I used to shop by what was on sale or the cheapest. Now I try to shop for quality at the best deal. Plus auctions are where I buy a lot of my stuff. I sell stuff from auctions too. Credit cards for the cash back or cash.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I buy out of necessity. If I am doing a project that requieres something specific I will buy it. I am a saver by nature so that's how I roll.  I'm also a cheap tightwad and proud of it. So even if I have the money to buy something it takes a while to part ways with the cash. 

Now if I need something at work that's another story, company Home Depot card helps me in that situation. 

• Like 2

I never live outside my means, so as much as I would love to use the credit card to buy an awesome tool, and worry about it later, I can't. I just save up and buy them as I go. There are a few of my tools that work provides, but they are used by everyone, the larger specialty tools such as sewer line tracers, or propex tools, etc. But my own tools are mine, and work policy is if they are broken while on the job, work will replace them. So far that's only included bits and tape measures, and sawzall, and some other miscellaneous items. I need to get a well puller, and some SDS plus bits, and work will pay for that, but I don't take advantage of the system, I have a great boss and place to work, so I just don't over do it.  

• Like 2

I like buying tools at the the lowest price I can, so in saying that I shop around, so in saying that I do a lot of research, in saying that I will use a credit card for an online purchase but only after I make a payment to cover the purchase before I make the order so it is like I paid cash.......

• Like 1

I ended up getting the Chase card from Amazon, I get 3 points per dollar spent on Amazon, 1 point everywhere else. As long as I can pay the card off within two months I am okay using it. Plus the points add up fast with Amazon purchases giving me a $30 here, $20 there extra for consumables. I also like to pay cash but would still prefer to use my card so I can get points and then put that can on the card.

• Like 1

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎17 at 5:06 AM, PROTOOLNUT said:

Yes but think about it, with a 19% interest rate, that interest racks up quickly. And, if you make the mistake of making minimum payments, you will suffer that interest severely. I don't recommend using credit. If you absolutely have to have the tool right now because its a need and not a want, then I recommend getting a low interest loan with your local credit union. If your credit is really good, you can get interest rates around 9.5% to 12% APR.

Otherwise, just save up and buy it when you got the money. But please for the love of everything holy, don't use credit!

You can efficiently and safely use your credit card for purchases. I don't buy something unless I have the money. frequent purchases like gas, and groceries have the highest return for points. I typically use my credit card for gas, and pay it off the next day. No worries of the interest rate as long as you paying off on time, or in my case right away. Now, I don't personally enjoy using my credit card.. but I am young and establishing my own credit rating so when it comes time to take out a loan for a newer vehicle, or buying a house I have an established, and excellent credit rating.

• Like 1

I save and pay cash when i'm ready.

In my mid 20's I was irresponsible with the use of CC's and quickly got in over my head. My wife and I pretty much have sworn them off and hardly ever use the one's that we do have.

My biggest issue now is going through the posts and determining all the goodies being a Need or a Want.

Seriously, you guys are like crack dealers. :)

• Like 2

For those of you that don't know just a couple years ago I got into super CC debt man when we bought our house everyone and there momma gave us a credit card and boy did we use them swipe! Swipe! Swipe! It was fun till all the bills started racking up on us, thank God this year we paid over 25,000 off and as of right now we are debt free!!  Very very big lesson learned!! If I can't afford it I save till I can.

• Like 3