Why Should I get a Plier Wrench?

redmed

I have read about plier wrenchs from you guys so when Menards had their 11% off sale I took a trip there to get one of the Kipnex Plier wrenches.  While checking them out I could not see any advantage to using a Crescent wrench.  What am I missing?

The jaws close and open parallel,they are also faster. 

I have the smaller one on my wishlist,I havent really been buying too many tools lately other than things I need for around the house maintenance wise and such.

Their quality is pretty fantastic off the bat. The parallel closing jaws grip really well and limit marring surfaces. You can use them like a ratchet by alternately loosening your grip. They can flatten small sheet metal pieces, kinda  like a mini metal brake. I use them to fix dented putty knife edges. They are just useful all around. I have a pouch for my must have tools that has a ratcheting screwdriver and my Pliers Wrench in it at all times. It can replace a bunch of other tools and  excels at most jobs, unlike many jack of all trades... 

• Like 2

I own 3 sizes. They are great, require very little pressure to grip nut very tightly. Adjustable wrenches require constant adjusting to keep them tight on the nut, then loose enough to slide on again. Plus they tend to slip and round off nuts. Try one. You will never go back to adjustable, and rarely reach for an open end.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JerryNY said:

Their quality is pretty fantastic off the bat. The parallel closing jaws grip really well and limit marring surfaces. You can use them like a ratchet by alternately loosening your grip. They can flatten small sheet metal pieces, kinda  like a mini metal brake. I use them to fix dented putty knife edges. They are just useful all around. I have a pouch for my must have tools that has a ratcheting screwdriver and my Pliers Wrench in it at all times. It can replace a bunch of other tools and  excels at most jobs, unlike many jack of all trades... 

The ability to ratchet is a plus, something I didn't think of.  They seem like they would be bulky.  I mean not be able to get a grip on nuts, in some tight spaces, due to the size of the jaws.  I rarely use a Crescent wrench because of their jaw size and thought the Pliers wrench would be just as bulky.  I usually use my ratcheting Gearwrenchs but some times have to go back and grab another one because I misjudged the size.   If the Pliers wrench ratchet pretty easily I might try out a pair.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fazzman said:

The jaws close and open parallel,they are also faster. 

I have the smaller one on my wishlist,I havent really been buying too many tools lately other than things I need for around the house maintenance wise and such.

So you have the larger one?

If so, is it too large and the smaller one would be more usefull?

When I was looking at them I was not sure what size to get.

I have read about plier wrenchs from you guys so when Menards had their 11% off sale I took a trip there to get one of the Kipnex Plier wrenches.  While checking them out I could not see any advantage to using a Crescent wrench.  What am I missing?

Check it out,

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/btp-review-knipex-pliers-wrench/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plier wrenches are great for field work where you need to expect the unexpected.  For fittings and fasteners that I know sizes in advance, I prefer a ratchet flare wrench, box end or socket where I can grab the fastener at all 6-points.  Great for snugging up AC line sets to mimimize chance of leaks. Fast action open end wrenches are also pretty handy.  SD

I bought the 10" set on a whim and was amazed at how well they grip and leave no marks. Bought the 7" set and haven't used an adjustable wrench since. The 12"er's are a bit pricey but on my list.

The 12" are great! Most one I grab though is the 10 they fit just about everything

Plier wrenches are great for field work where you need to expect the unexpected.  For fittings and fasteners that I know sizes in advance, I prefer a ratchet flare wrench, box end or socket where I can grab the fastener at all 6-points.  Great for snugging up AC line sets to mimimize chance of leaks. Fast action open end wrenches are also pretty handy.  SD

But you need torque wrench for that, if you're talking about flare fittings. Would work as the backup wrench

8 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

But you need torque wrench for that, if you're talking about flare fittings. Would work as the backup wrench

I've never seen an HVAC contractor torque a flare fitting and I've never seen any torque specs from AC manufacturers.falcon467r24b.jpg70a30-pex.jpg70series-details.jpg

• Like 1