He, who shall not be named...

JMG

43 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

And how about those Red Sox? Maybe up against the Yankees once again????

You know, I only recently learned that the term 'Yank/Yankee' is actually derogatory! I was using the term here occasionally interchangeably with American. 

So if I've offended anyone, many apologies! Would a northern state or southern state American be more offended by the term?  Or is it ok for an American to use the term?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dwain said:

You know, I only recently learned that the term 'Yank/Yankee' is actually derogatory! I was using the term here occasionally interchangeably with American. 

So if I've offended anyone, many apologies! Would a northern state or southern state American be more offended by the term?  Or is it ok for an American to use the term?

well they have a Major League Baseball team called the New York Yankees so it can't be to bad....

• Like 1

The southern states use it more as a derogatory nickname for northerners. I'm personally not offended though...carry on my wayward son!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Means nothing to me personally

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, dwain said:

there you go, I thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Yes you have the Yankees as a team name, but you also have the Redskins ... 

Not sure if this is old information but during the Civil war, the North were called the Yankees by the Southern Confederacy, not sure if that stemmed from anywhere prior to that...

7 hours ago, ChrisK said:

And how about those Red Sox? Maybe up against the Yankees once again????

Never bothered me Dwain. Normally it's those tea sipping Brits that have their panties in a bunch about losing a collection of colonies ;)

Some people from the south use it and interestingly enough, I am a New Englander . That is normally a derogatory term. But I take more offense that we are calledYankees  when it's all the name of an evil baseball team located in New York. But regardless, when I'm called a Yankee by a Southerner, I normally respond "yeah? Git over it. You lost, we won. Or is hard cause your Mom and Dad are brother and sister?" The reason it's used in this term is due to a little disagreement that started back in the 1700s and ended in the later half of the 1800s. The greatest irony here is that I was born in the South :D

In a nutshell? Nah, I don't take offense to it. I kind of like it. Unless they are saying I am a fan of the NY Yankees. I don't even like baseball but thats like saying I like to have relations with cows!!!!

• Like 3

New yankee workshop

I love that show! Too bad it's only reruns now.

Funny though I have never caught any episodes of the Old Yankee Workshop or even the Yankee Workshop.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've been a Yank a wanker but my wife just calls me a Dick. As in why do you have to be such a Dick. 

We try to be a little more conservative than that so she didn't use that strong of a word, its the non verbal stuff that really let's me know I'm being an "issue"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Not sure if this is old information but during the Civil war, the North were called the Yankees by the Southern Confederacy, not sure if that stemmed from anywhere prior to that...

Started in the revolutionary war, remember the old tune "Yankee doodle?"

Interestingly enough, in the US a Yankee is a northerner but the rest of the World(mostly British former/current colonies) refers to any American as a Yank/Yankee. So according to the British a man from Alabama driving a General Lee clone is a Yank.

3 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Started in the revolutionary war, remember the old tune "Yankee doodle?"

Interestingly enough, in the US a Yankee is a northerner but the rest of the World(mostly British former/current colonies) refers to any American as a Yank/Yankee. So according to the British a man from Alabama driving a General Lee clone is a Yank.

Thats right!! Forgot about that lol

• Like 2