New Hitachi battery framing Nailers

JRS5565

• 2 weeks later...

Looks cool but 10.6 lbs with 3.0 battery. Claimed 400 shots. Paslode is 7.2 lbs. 9000 shots per battery and 1200 per fuel cell. Maybe could see having both as the paslode does most and the hitachi for heavy duty. Hitachi only good down to 25 degrees. Paslode has come a long way with temp. The paslode is just so light and convenient so for now I will stick with it and pull out the Hitachi pneumatics when I need speed, power, and production. 10.6 lbs ouch. 

• 2 weeks later...

This nailer uses a similar mechanic as Milwaukee battery nailers. Skips the fly wheel and uses some kind of air chamber mechanism. I wonder if it will have shooting issues like the Milwaukee nailers. Seems like it shoots well from videos I have seen.

The dewalts do work better when warmed up first when sitting frozen on the truck all night 690/692. I am gonna get one of these paper tape hitachi guns perhaps next time a 15 or 20% sale pops up at acme. This Hitachi might be a damn fine gun however I am Dewalt biased so it will have to be good for them to get me to try anything else they might offer.

11 hours ago, jrs5565 said:

The dewalts do work better when warmed up first when sitting frozen on the truck all night 690/692. I am gonna get one of these paper tape hitachi guns perhaps next time a 15 or 20% sale pops up at acme. This Hitachi might be a damn fine gun however I am Dewalt biased so it will have to be good for them to get me to try anything else they might offer.

If it out performs the Dewalt in consistancy to drive the nail to the correct depth I will drop the Dewalt dead in a heart beat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My order for the Paper Tape version should show up on Tuesday. Acme dropped the price down to 390 with an extra battery and also have an 11% sale going on right now. As the freeze hit this area hard yesterday its going to be cold tested as it will live in a KUV truck. Videos I have seen so far have made this look good lets hope it will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had it for five days so far has been quite nice. It is heavy but I have gotten use to it just like the change from air to the Dewalt 690/692. The rafter hooks useful but leaves the tool at an odd angle Dewalt is better to grab once placed. The batteries have no lights which is odd I grabbed two more at Menards so I can rotate thru the day. It must come with Hitachis basic charger it seems damn slow and the fans loud. The battery does not shoot as many nails as Dewalt gun however I have not used anything smaller then a 6ah flex in the Dewalt so I could be wrong as the Hitachi is only 3ah . The Hitachi hits harder and places nails better then the Dewalt guns it is worth having and I got a great deal from Acme`s 11% sale which was actually 20% so $312 shipped with a second battery included.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I’ve had these guns for about 9 months now and while the framer is powerful and has been fault free the rafter hook is an absolute pain to hook onto tool belt, so I’ve gone back to the paslode for any roofing work. The 15 ga da bradder is junk in my opinion. It is only useful for putting 38mm brads into softwood. Any thing longer and it won’t sink them consistently as with use on anything harder. This gun has been back to the supplier twice for long periods but it still has the same issues. I don’t know if mine is faulty or it’s just a poor gun. I regret this purchase as the combo cost around $1300 au and I don’t use either gun often now.

• Like 1

I’ve had these guns for about 9 months now and while the framer is powerful and has been fault free the rafter hook is an absolute pain to hook onto tool belt, so I’ve gone back to the paslode for any roofing work. The 15 ga da bradder is junk in my opinion. It is only useful for putting 38mm brads into softwood. Any thing longer and it won’t sink them consistently as with use on anything harder. This gun has been back to the supplier twice for long periods but it still has the same issues. I don’t know if mine is faulty or it’s just a poor gun. I regret this purchase as the combo cost around $1300 au and I don’t use either gun often now.
Just switch the giant framer rafter hook with the 15ga rafter hook and your problem is fixed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the NR-1890DR (21-degree plastic collated version) in a package deal on Amazon with an extra 3.0Ah battery and 4000 3-1/2" nails. Wow I've only used it a few times so far but it is way better than the Dewalt, it's quick, and sinks the nail every freakin' time! and best of all it doesn't need to "warm up".  I have used Dewalt's two speed unit and it is shall I say "finicky" to put it kindly, and early in the morning it seems like it hasn't had it's first, second, or third cup of coffee, not sure why it takes so long to "warm up". So when purchasing the Hitachi I honestly had low expectations, mainly from my experience with the Dewalt product, I had read some good reviews but it blew me away! Wow it is so much better and I have to agree the rafter hook is overkill, C'mon Hitachi!  It's big, ugly, and effective, and I bought a framing nailer to sink nails in framing and Hitachi has got that right.  The charger is loud and not intuitive though I hear they have a newer version that is more close to the competition with red for charging green for fully charged etc... but the one I have works so for now I'm good to go.  I probably wouldn't recommend it for full time production work but as an avid DIYer, small job tasks and renovations it's ideal.  Lastly I sure wish they would make a hard case to fit this thing in, I just dislike the bag because everything winds up at the bottom under the 10lb nailer in those bags. If they made an aftermarket hard case with storage for the nailer, charger and two batteries I would buy it today.

I've used the framing gun, although heavy it drives nails like a genuine pneumatic gun. It drove nails flush into redgum and cypress pine where the paslode didn't, every time.

I would still use a paslode gun if I were a chippy on a roof as I think the paslode is faster and it is definitely much lighter. Generally no hardwood is used on the roofs here in au either. My friend who bought one said it did pay for itself within a large job or two by not having to buy gas so there is a big cost benefit for framers. It is much better than the Dewalt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 6:49 PM, OldDominionDIYer said:

If they made an aftermarket hard case with storage for the nailer, charger and two batteries I would buy it today.

In Finland the kit comes in a hard case. Its basically a Makpac in Hitachi green and grey. Just ordered the paper tape one last night from a clearance sale, because of name change to Hikoki

Edited by aessu
fixed typos
  • Like 2