Makita Battery cell 20700

Ned

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 8:57 PM, mtnkid85 said:

Did you guys see this?  It's on their fb page.  Of course no details on the battery itself though.

56599884_2622221551139162_90894340143049

There are actually several more photos of the battery on this page too.  No idea if its something new or not?

It says right in the description. 

"Protective cover helps prevent battery contamination"

• 1 month later...

There will be no new battery because current battery technology has reached its limits and there are no viable alternatives.

20700 and 21700 are just formats, and they bring no advantages over 18650 or any other format.

The capacity and discharge current  has not improved for over 5 years in the battery industry.

Other manufacturers came up with higher capacities because they switched to bigger formats (= bigger batteries). There's no point for Makita to do the same because they would need to come up with modified tools to fit them.

Don't be fooled by youtube hypes about 20700, Tesla, graphene and whatever. They will show all the benefits of a new proposed technology, but leave out the limitations or disadvantages that make the adoption impossible

A new battery tech has to be superior to the current tech in all the aspects. Capacity (energy to size/volume ratio), discharge currents, lifetime cycles, flat voltage curves. Also production cost has to be low enough.

I guess I should ignore the superior power I get from my FlexVolt tools with 15x 21700 cells compared to my Makita tools powered by 10x 18650. 20x 18650 isn’t too bad but let’s get real. 21700 has a number of advantages over 18650.

• Like 4

While the 5.0ah with 18650 cells is pretty good combination of size and runtime there are definately tools that can benefit from higher ah batteries.  I personally think this newest wave of compact 4.0ah and 8.0ah batteries with the 21700 cells will be a game changer on my jobsites.  Makita is free to do what they want but I think they're doing their customers a disservice ignoring battery tech that's out and available.

• Like 2

I really hope they will come out with something soon, as you mention at least jump on the train with 4ah and 8ah LIHD battery, I mean what is the reason to have bigger gap between the battery on the new 36volt tools, at least on the latest tool I have. Today I have 2 2ah and 4 4ah battery and two dual charger, so sure that works, but don't want to buy 6ah if a newer version is around the corner.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, Fireguy116 said:

Sorry to revive an old thread. But I would assume Makita is not at this point going to release any new batteries for their 18v line with the new 40v system coming soon. I’m actually concerned that the 18v line will get left behind for the 40v system. 

Makita has repeatedly stated they are committed to the 18V LXT line, including X2, and that the XGT 40V is in no way a replacement. They are continuing to release and develop tools in these lines. That doesn't mean they will develop larger 18V batteries, it is a completely different question, but at least it seems XGT won't be the reason for that? 

The way I see it, XGT could either dampen development of higher performance LXT tools (think next generation of premium hammer drill or rear-handle saw) or facilitate such development if XGT tech trickles down to LXT.  Hopefully the latter.  What do others think?

6 hours ago, Jjwillac said:

Makita has repeatedly stated they are committed to the 18V LXT line, including X2, and that the XGT 40V is in no way a replacement. They are continuing to release and develop tools in these lines. That doesn't mean they will develop larger 18V batteries, it is a completely different question, but at least it seems XGT won't be the reason for that? 

The way I see it, XGT could either dampen development of higher performance LXT tools (think next generation of premium hammer drill or rear-handle saw) or facilitate such development if XGT tech trickles down to LXT.  Hopefully the latter.  What do others think?

In just couple of Years time, Makitas current 18v platform will become the Light Duty one, while XGT would be the Heavy Duty. Therefore no need for Makita to develop and release any new 18v HD batteries (although I would welcome 18v HD compact 3-6-8 Ah for the current LTX line at any time :)) as the current LTX battery range are quite capable for the current range of tools. So it make sense if you want more than go XGT. If you see the other brands alternatives, Dewalt 60v, Hikoky Dual power, and batteries over 8 Ah these do not work in real life to an extend that it is worth using it. You either would end with one or the other. It is just too expensive and inconvenient to have such an mix and match. I am on 18v LTX for many Years now (Maintenance and Refurb business) and for the extra power when need I got my corded (mains) set and the colleagues around me on site are the same. Unless you work in a remote area without any power source all time , it might be the case you would need XGT tools, but really you can not relay on batteries only if you have to do a work day in and day out on regularly. It is inconvenient and expensive way, no employer or customer wish to pay that price. It is only the short time need, one off project, etc.

You are right that XGT will dampen the development of HPerformance 18v LTX tools BUT how much more performance, above the current 18v  LTX Heavy Duty tools, do you looking for?