DHP484 New Compact Brushless - Comparison Pictures

kornomaniac

Hello all !

I just received Makita's new compacts yesterday. Atleast the hammer drill model :)

Here are some comparison pictures between the old model DHP480  and the new DHP484 

On the left side:  Old DHP480

IMG_20160827_130855.jpg

On the Right side:   New DHP484

IMG_20160827_130858.jpg

We see a much higher speed. 2000 rpm's against the old 1550 and an aluminium gear housing instead of plastic :)

Size comparison in height:

IMG_20160827_131336.jpg

The new DHP484 is noticably shorter.  About 2 centimetrers :)

Size comparison from the back:

IMG_20160827_131001.jpg

Also here we see the body of the new DHP484 is slimmer :)

Size comparison from the top:

IMG_20160827_131400.jpg

Now the new Model is on the Left of course.  We see it's alot shorter again but a littlebit bigger in the Width?

And finaly a weight comparison:

IMG_20160827_130843.jpg

IMG_20160827_130827.jpg

5 Grams heavier ! :D

All in all very good upgrades :)  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Hello all !

I just received Makita's new compacts yesterday. Atleast the hammer drill model :)

Here are some comparison pictures between the old model DHP480  and the new DHP484 

On the left side:  Old DHP480

IMG_20160827_130855.jpg

On the Right side:   New DHP484

IMG_20160827_130858.jpg

We see a much higher speed. 2000 rpm's against the old 1550 and an aluminium gear housing instead of plastic :)

Size comparison in height:

IMG_20160827_131336.jpg

The new DHP484 is noticably shorter.  About 2 centimetrers :)

Size comparison from the back:

IMG_20160827_131001.jpg

Also here we see the body of the new DHP484 is slimmer :)

Size comparison from the top:

IMG_20160827_131400.jpg

Now the new Model is on the Left of course.  We see it's alot shorter again but a littlebit bigger in the Width?

And finaly a weight comparison:

IMG_20160827_130843.jpg

IMG_20160827_130827.jpg

5 Grams heavier ! :D

All in all very good upgrades :)  

This is the new BL hammer model  in Australia DHP483Z

image.jpg

On August 29, 2016 at 4:49 PM, JimboS1ice said:

It is small, not a fan of compact hammers, I used it on my m12 Fuel once and wish I never even did that

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed Jimbo. It's a task that they're not really well suited to, and they add a bit of weight and length to a tool that otherwise focuses on how light and compact they are. Compact drill/drivers: fantastic.

4 hours ago, Bremon said:

Agreed Jimbo. It's a task that they're not really well suited to, and they add a bit of weight and length to a tool that otherwise focuses on how light and compact they are. Compact drill/drivers: fantastic.

One the makita BL cxt 12v max the hammer adds 14mm to the overall length and bugger all weight. Comparing it to the BL drill/drive 

6 hours ago, Makita_2233 said:

One the makita BL cxt 12v max the hammer adds 14mm to the overall length and bugger all weight. Comparing it to the BL drill/drive 

That's still over half an inch on a tool that's meant to be minuscule, and likely not very much fun to drill concrete with. I'm not calling out Makita on this; basically all hammer drills add that amount of length. When you're using a full size drill it doesn't matter as much. 

11 hours ago, jeffmcmillan said:

14mm is a decent bit for such a compact drill meant for tight spaces

The problem with compact hammer drills is the same as larger hammer drills just worse.  If I could always have an SDS drill on hand and never tough a hammer drill again I'd be happier.

6 hours ago, Bremon said:

That's still over half an inch on a tool that's meant to be minuscule, and likely not very much fun to drill concrete with. I'm not calling out Makita on this; basically all hammer drills add that amount of length. When you're using a full size drill it doesn't matter as much. 

Sometimes an sds is not really suitable, too much impact joules. An example of where a small compact hammer would be good, installing wall plugs in a house with old brick ( soft brick ) and the dill dia is only 6mm or 1/4 

2 hours ago, Makita_2233 said:

Sometimes an sds is not really suitable, too much impact joules. An example of where a small compact hammer would be good, installing wall plugs in a house with old brick ( soft brick ) and the dill dia is only 6mm or 1/4 

Every reputable manufacturer I can think of makes a small, high rpm, low impact energy rotary hammer for small holes and softer materials.  If it's hard enough that I can't use a twist bit, I want a rotary hammer.

37 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I agree with Jeff. The M12 Fuel is an awesome little unit, for example, and if I drilled small anchors regularly I'd buy the right tool for the job. 

Ah, the M12 rotary? i had to do a double take because I first thought you were talking about the drill

59 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I agree with Jeff. The M12 Fuel is an awesome little unit, for example, and if I drilled small anchors regularly I'd buy the right tool for the job. 

I agree on that. What I was getting at if you don't drill small anchors regularly a hammer drill will get the job done for a few holes around the house 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Every reputable manufacturer I can think of makes a small, high rpm, low impact energy rotary hammer for small holes and softer materials.  If it's hard enough that I can't use a twist bit, I want a rotary hammer.

Yeah I know and thought about buying the m12 rotay hammer for small holes but I only drill 7mm and below diameter holes a few times a year. I mostly drill 12mm-28mm and got the makita BL rotary hammer, the milwaukee  m18chp and a few corded hilti's

27 minutes ago, Makita_2233 said:

I agree on that. What I was getting at if you don't drill small anchors regularly a hammer drill will get the job done for a few holes around the house 

Yeah, the majority of my drills are hammer drills for the same reason but I'll likely transition to hammer-less compacts and leave the hammer function on my full size units. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...