Dewalt tablesaw (which one should I get )

Turner85

So I'm in 3 minds as which one to get. Basically my needs would be ripping down 2x and less thicker materials. Not necessarily sheet materials as I'd use my track saw for that purpose. I'm slightly concerned about the flexvolts power even though I've seen it rip 2x material with ease but that's been done with a brand new blade each time. I'm guessing runtime would decrease rapidly as the blade dulls and the other negative would be hooking upto an extractor as you wouldn't have a plug to plug into the extractor. Is it true they are bringing out a power source as mentioned in concord carpenters review which would solve both concerns I have meaning I could buy the flexvolt. Then when it comes to the other two (dw745 and dwe7491) is the 745 lacking in features being an earlier model. I know it has smaller ripping capacity but again that's not a huge concern. Any opinions be greatly appreciated 

FlexVolt runs an 8 1/4" blade, so the options are limited there. Concerning the corded saws, the DW745 is an older model and there are a few changes that were made along the way to it. Early saws had a simple guard system that was held on by 2 bolts, later had a modular guard system. It's similar sized replacement is actually the DWE7480, The DWE7491 and DWE7490 are replacements for the slightly larger DW744,and come with with a rolling stand (DWE7491) or X stand (DWE7490) and 32 1/2" or 28 1/2" rip capacities respectively. The later models are more open and have onboard storage for the guard parts and riving knife as well as a T slot miter groove which the older saws didn't. Price wise the new saws cost about the same as the saws they replaced, so if it were me, I'd go with one of the later saws, that just leaves you to decide do you want the compact saw, the X stand version or the rolling stand version. 

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

Also the 745 arbor is too short for a dado. I had the 745, great saw, light easy to move and well made and the fence is rock solid but that arbor would only allow for a double stacked blade. 

I've never had use for a dado stack yet Chris but always like to have the option to do extra things. Besides the extra rip capacity does the bigger saw have any other advantages over the 745 like is it more powerful or are they basically the same saw but ones bigger

Just bigger with the larger arbor dude! Great saw, I had the newer 745 with the slightly larger rip capacity but the 91 is a fantastic machine. I ended up getting an appropriate sized saw for my shop and sold the 745 but I miss the little guy!

just get a 7.5 hp 460v Powermatic tablesaw and attach it to a trailer. Now it has become a job site tablesaw. Not only can it cut through a 3/4 in piece of plywood, it will rip through your house, the kitchen sink, and even your neighbors backyard. It will then run up a mountain eat a bacon sandwich and run back down without a sweat 

I can't recommend a saw for you, because I don't know how you use one.  I can give you my input, regarding how I use a saw.

I love the DeWalt fence.  Best there is.  For me anyway.  I don't know the model, but I've had a DeWalt portable table saw for probably 20 years.  Couldn't be happier with the performance.

If I were buying one today, my first choice would be the flexvolt.  Second would be the newer smaller job site table saw.  This is based on how I use a table saw.  Mine stays in the trailer, until I need it.  I'm getting older and it is harder to carry around.  When I was younger and stronger, I thought it was really light.  I would also get a stand with wheels.  This goes back to my personal preference.  

Also, I don't use the table saw everyday.  Probably average once a month.  I just need a few small rips here and there.  I would probably use it more if it were lighter.

20 hours ago, WigWagWorkshop said:

I wish DeWalt would come out with a cabinet table saw, but until them I been thinking of doing a Comp conversion, but DeWalt colors.

--Look through posts to see the wonderful work of Comp, and his Milwaukee repaints.

They had the DW746 which was the first "hybrid" saw and they do go through Ebay every so often. I would love one or a SawStop contractor's saw if I had more room in the basement. Then again I can't even justify replacing my DW744 yet.

• Like 1

On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 3:24 PM, JMG said:

I noticed the 745 on sale at the local Lowes this morning for $296 & change.

I'm in Ireland. Where there's no value even when on sale. I paid €600 yesterday for the 745 with rolling stand

So I ended up purchasing the 745 with rolling stand.  Reasons I went for it over the flexvolt which I was really close to buying, first was the blades, I like to buy good quality blades that are worth sharpening and there isn't much of a choice for the flexvolt over here in Ireland and second I'm also in the market for a dust extractor and the flexvolt being cordless just meant I'd have to switch the vacuum on and off manually when used together. I should have it today and have a couple of jobs for it straight away, looking forward to using it

• 4 years later...