Need Some Help Choosing A Combo Kit!

pingman222

Hey Guys! Newbie here and i'm looking to get some insight to choosing a new combo kit from santa.

My last cordless drill was a sears craftsman special 19.2V monster that was terriby uncomfortable to use for the 7 minutes of battery life that it would give.  Needless to say, i'm due for an upgrade.  My wife and I will be moving to a new house in January and we will need the tools to do everything there from the very basics of just hanging stuff (large mirrors w/ lags) etc to finishing the basement, building the deck and fence, and garage shelving etc.  I will not be using these for everyday professional use, so keep that in mind!

I've been reading lots about these specific tools i've listed and it's probably made it more impossible to make a decision, i know in the end, all of them will probably be capable enough for my use, but i'm curious to see what others think!

I'll start with the 12V's.  I'm not sure anyone will recommend these when my uses include deck building, but lets just see!

Milwaukee M12 Brushed - 2494-22 - $118 - Good size, nice and compact, the cheapest of the bunch and still not terrible on the power scale.  Smaller included batteries but overall a decent kit for the money.

Milwaukee M12 Fuel - 2597-22/2594-22 - $339/$299 accordingly if you choose the hammer drill or not.  Not sure i need it but its always open for discussion!  3x the cost of the brushed line (not currently on sale anywhere, might change after x-mas?).  This would be my ideal set for size/weight/power/features however, the cost is pretty prohibitive to be honest.  I have a milwaukee service factory near my work here and they have a reconditioned set for $249, but i think the extra money to go new would be worth the full warranty easily.

Bosch 12V CLPK22-120 $165 - Again, impressive size and power in such a small package.  Decent reviews on the PS41 impact, i like the looks and size of the bosch for sure, just not certain it will have enough power for my needs?  Price is decent as well on sale right now.

Onto the 18V's

Milwaukee 18V brushed 2691-22 - $189 + Free extra 2AH battery - Well priced, free bonus battery, and 18V power.  I find the M18 line really isn't THAT much bigger than the M12 with the smaller batteries, so i think i could live with this size of tool if i had to.  The price is good and the bonus battery makes it better.  The only downsides are that the included batteries are 2x 1.5AH and the bonus is a free 2.0 AH.

Bosch 18V CLPK233-181L Brushless - $240 - Price isn't terrible, but its getting up there.  Only includes 2 - 2AH batteries, but it is a brushless model.  The sizes of the tools are quite impressive and they felt good in the hands, and the 1/2" sq. drive chuck on the impact could come in handy for me as i like to work around my cars doing general repairs and maintenance.  The storage box it comes in is quite nice though compared to the tool bag you get with the Milwaukee's.

With all this info, can anyone nudge me towards what i think i should be getting here?  Thanks in advance everyone!!!

• Like 1

welcome to the forums, not one to say what to buy......fuel kits are worth the wait when on sale M12 

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-2594-22-m12-fuel-12v-cordless-lithium-ion-1-2-in--drill-driver-and-impact-driver-combo-kit/miln2594-22,default,pd.html?ref=cj

$199 plus a free bare tool....

• Like 1

I would go 18v because you never know you might want to pick up a jigsaw, recipsaw, or circular saw down the road. A recip saw has a million different uses around the house I use mine for pruning my shrubs. They don't have any buy a tool kit get a tool sales right now at least at the Home Depot.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, comp56 said:

welcome to the forums, not one to say what to buy......fuel kits are worth the wait when on sale M12 

http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-2594-22-m12-fuel-12v-cordless-lithium-ion-1-2-in--drill-driver-and-impact-driver-combo-kit/miln2594-22,default,pd.html?ref=cj

$199 plus a free bare tool....

I would jump all over that....if i wasn't in canada lol.

2 minutes ago, DR99 said:

I would go 18v because you never know you might want to pick up a jigsaw, recipsaw, or circular saw down the road. A recip saw has a million different uses around the house I use mine for pruning my shrubs. They don't have any buy a tool kit get a tool sales right now at least at the Home Depot.

This is something i never considered either actually.  I could see a sawzall or a circular saw coming in handy.  My father in law has all these items, but none are cordless and i hate having to borrow if i can add to my collection down the road.

I originally "counted out" 18V because i wanted "light and compact", however that was before i really started looking at stuff and realizing the 18V tools of today are much much more user friendly than the old ones.

not a combo but this kit was selling @ home depot for $99 in Canada not long ago

20160302_174142.jpg

Not bad...I still wouldn't mind having a couple different tools though, I know alot of applications would overlap for my non-precision needs. I know for sure though that If I pick anything up soon, I'll keep it packaged up and see if anything else pops up during boxing day that's better.

I'm kind of leaning towards 18V now that I consider the future expansion of tools. I could definitely see some saw needs in there somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'd definitely start out with an 18V system. You're 10x's more likely to find a 12V too small for a job than you are an 18V too big. 18V just gives you more versatility and capability. You'll definitely be buying more tools, you can count on that. Cordless drills are a gateway drug. One day you're trying to collect enough tools to assemble an IKEA desk, the next thing you know you've got tools stuffed in the kitchen cabinets because you have no place else to put them and the UPS man knows your garage door passcode and your dogs names. 

As as far as which brand, you really can't go wrong with any of the big 4 (Milwaukee, Dewalt, Bosh, or Makita). Each of those lines will both fit your current needs and allow you a great deal of expansion. Milwaukee and Dewalt would be my suggestions, but any of them will suffice. Go to your nearest dealer, play with them a little bit, and see which one tickles your fancy. 

• Like 2

You said you are not a professional, so brushless is not going to be that huge an advantage to you. Getting reconditioned tools cuts costs too and comes with the same warranty as new most of the time. On here folks some folks seem to as rabid a fan for a tool brand as a lot of football fans, I am not going to recommend a particular brand, because most of them are pretty reliable at this point, but as a homeowner don't write off Ryobi or Porter-Cable, They are going to get you bang for the buck. Having a factory service center nearby also is big plus in my book

Make a list of the potential tools you will want, you may find that you can't get some of the tools you would like in 12 volt. Some form of a drill/ hammer drill (you mentioned finishing basement, hammer drill is what you want to drill concrete).You mentioned fence, that means a saw of some sort of a saw. Like someone else mentioned a reciprocating saw works great with pruning tasks, they also work great with demolition during remodeling. They are also pretty tough to cut a straight, square line with, it takes practice. A jig saw is great for cutting curves and will cut straight lines but cuts much slower than a circular saw. As far as circular saws go a 6 1/2 blade is pretty much the minimum if you are going to cut 2 X materials.

Right now is a great time to be looking, a 4 or 5 piece kit to start with is not hard to find right now. $299 will usually get you started with a drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw and a light or an impact driver in place of one of the saws and that is from one of the big manufacturers Conductor562 mentioned, going with one of the more homeowner oriented brands, you can find them starting at around $129. Good luck in your quest.

2 hours ago, DaveJr. said:

You didn't mention it but why not look at Ryobi or Rigid? Both are quality tool brands with out a huge price tag.

Not sure if you're talking to me or the OP, but I'll be glad to give you my reasoning. Both were worth mentioning, as is Porter Cable, but based on the fact that the OP shared links from Milwaukee and Bosch, I assumed he had decided on a premium line of tools. To me, that excluded Porter Cable. They aren't terrible tools, but they are a clear step down from the big 4.

Ridgid....well, I'm a little disappointed in Ridgid at the moment. With my less than pleasant experience with the R4221, and a brewing reputation for battery issues, I'm leery of recommending them at the moment. I haven't sworn them off yet or decided to sell my Ridgid stuff off out of pure disgust, but they aren't on my "buy now" list either. 

Ryobi is is under appreciated and are definitely the market leader in bang for your buck, but something subconsciously prevents me from classifying them on the same level as the big 4. A Ryobi drill would certainly be better than the one he has, but it's also basically a more modern version of the same thing. 

If if he has the budget for Milwaukee, Bosch, etc, I would absolutely recommend going that route. My philosophy is that if you buy the best you can afford, you won't be disappointed. In some situations I can see going cheaper, but it sounds like the OP has plenty of work ahead of him and if so, he will appreciate the additional quality over the long haul more than he will the few bucks he saved. Especially with a staple item like a drill.

That's my view of it anyway, but I certainly understand that everyone has their own. 

• Like 1

My brushed M12 drill is more powerful than his old drill, in fact, I realized about two months ago that it was more powerful and faster than the old corded shop drill. If he has masonry to do then M18 hammer drill is the way to go but a Fuel M12 will be plenty of drill and impact, imo. 

That being said, it's nice to be in both lineups. The M18 is more stable sitting on it's battery, I like that for working on uneven ground.

As much as I love Milwaukee, I think you'd benefit from looking at Makita as well. The have an 18v sub-compact which is tiny bbut powerful, same battery can be used on their larger tools and double the batteries for their 36v line. That's damn hard to compete with, essentially three platforms with one battery...I imagine they're going to push this sub-compact 18v line because the drill/impact have been very well received.

• Like 1

My brushed M12 drill is more powerful than his old drill, in fact, I realized about two months ago that it was more powerful and faster than the old corded shop drill. If he has masonry to do then M18 hammer drill is the way to go but a Fuel M12 will be plenty of drill and impact, imo. 

That being said, it's nice to be in both lineups. The M18 is more stable sitting on it's battery, I like that for working on uneven ground.

As much as I love Milwaukee, I think you'd benefit from looking at Makita as well. The have an 18v sub-compact which is tiny bbut powerful, same battery can be used on their larger tools and double the batteries for their 36v line. That's damn hard to compete with, essentially three platforms with one battery...I imagine they're going to push this sub-compact 18v line because the drill/impact have been very well received.

Wife and I made the trip to home depot yesterday and checked a few things out. I looked at the m18 brushed kit for $189+free extra battery and liked everything about it. It fits the immediate budget and having the extra battery gives options for adding a future bare tool too. The m18 brushes kit was $299 but included a free sawzall or circular saw. It's more $$ and you get brushless, but the extra dollars im not sure are worth it as the difference over the regular m18 is the price of the free tool, and going with the reg m18 I would have the bonus battery already too. After holding the m18 and m12, I'm finding the sizes both something that I can easily live with. The 18V compacts seem to definitely be the way I'm going to go.

Going with Milwaukee seems good to me too as their local factory service center is right across the street from where I work.

The reason I still look and consider the Bosch kit is because of the useful chuck on the impact. I do work around my cars and of course it's not a dedicated impact wrench which I have, but the Bosch gets a few bonus points for being able to just throw half inch sockets straight on, which I own lots of.

I did see the Makita compact line, actually my wife noted it more specifically as she was looking at the aesthetics of all the drills lol. She noticed those anniversary edition black/white Makitas and was immediately drawn to them, maybe I will have a closer look.

It'll be boxing day here in a couple weeks and perhaps there will be better deals for combo kits come that time, I don't mind waiting for that as well, but I was thinking I would jump on the promos right now and just return the kit if something sweeter came along during boxing week.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am quite impressed with my Dewalt 18v lineup, especially the brushless models. However, having also entered the Bosch 12v world, I find myself reaching for these little fellas more than the big boys.

If it was me today, I'd be taking a hard look at the Makita tiny 18v tools. They look to be top of the heap at the moment, imo.

I will echo what others have said about going with higher power than you think you need right now. You never know when you will need it, and for the price difference, it is worth it. 

I would consider the DeWalt DCK299P2. I am very impressed with mine and there are lots of video reviews that you can check out. One I really liked is by Jimbo on here which shows off the drill part of the combo kit. Check it out. I can tell you from my experience the impact driver is equally impressive. 

On 12/3/2016 at 8:42 AM, wildroamer said:

I am quite impressed with my Dewalt 18v lineup, especially the brushless models. However, having also entered the Bosch 12v world, I find myself reaching for these little fellas more than the big boys.

If it was me today, I'd be taking a hard look at the Makita tiny 18v tools. They look to be top of the heap at the moment, imo.

I also use my 12V stuff more than my 18V, but I were only going to have one, it would have to be 18V. 

The smaller Makita stuff might be a happy medium. But I'm sure that's what Makita was going for.

• Like 2

I also use my 12V stuff more than my 18V, but I were only going to have one, it would have to be 18V. 

The smaller Makita stuff might be a happy medium. But I'm sure that's what Makita was going for.

Agreeded I reach for my m12 stuff usually first just size to power fits the needs but the new sub compact makita is 12v size in an 18v package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I agree with @wildroamer my Bosch M12 tools are really quite wonderful. Super compact and a great lineup, second only to Milwaukee in lineup but I prefer Bosch 12v over Milwaukee M12 tools. Having said that I use my tools in a wood shop and not in the field so having a super specialized range of tools is not as important to me but Bosch has a very large lineup.

• Like 1

thanks for the help everyone.  I'm headed back to some of the tools stores today as KMS tools here is running 15% off any 1 item (including combo sets), or 20% off makita.  So i'm going to go see if anything looks good in the makita line.  The LXT211 or the DLX2180 seem to fit the bill and with an extra 20% off seem like a good deal. 

If not, i still like the M18 set with the extra battery deal, and getting an extra 15% off that wouldn't be bad at all!

Just an update, i ended up grabbing from Home depot (canada), the milwaukee M18 Brushed Set of the drill-driver and impact driver.  When it really came down to it i knew that all the big name tools would do the tasks i ask of it for my needs, so it came down to cost effectiveness and bonus'es.  I got the set with a bonus 2.0AH battery, for $150 CAD taxes in.  It was regular $200 but they match+10% a competitors price who had it for $189+15% as a one-day deal.  Not too shabby, and i picked up a 56 piece shockwave driver bit set as well for $24.

I figure at that price and with the extra battery, it opens up the spot in the future to add a hackzall or sawzall, or perhaps the multi tool and i've already got a battery for it.  Let the collecting begin!!

• Like 2

You will not be disappointed! and I agree starting out at 18V is the way to go and Team red have a very large lineup for you to tackle anything you mentioned above. You will eventually want to get some M12's for the more delicate stuff as this is exactly what I did but I only did Fuel stuff for the extra power. Have yet to regret my decision. 

Great purchase.  I'd like to add that the M12 Fuel tools are a lot more powerful than you might think.  I built an entire deck using my M12 impact driver and drill.  I got out the M18 to sink the 6" lags, but for the endless screws attaching the decking, the M12 was a lot easier to pick up and use.  I suspect that it could even have done the lags as well.