Help me choose a corded 3/8" drill

dwasifar

like i said before my friend has the DEWALT DWD112 8.0 Amp 3/8-Inch VSR Pistol-Grip Drill with Keyless All-Metal Chuck . It isnt  that good of a drill and was smoking a lot using a 3/8 bosch daredevil spade bit . while my 1/2 makita way older powered through the wood like no problem. 

34 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

Hitachi even ditched the green color for the chainsaws.  They used to be Hitachi green, now they're orange like every other chainsaw.  Anyway, it's a good saw; not a Stihl, but decent.

Green is actually my favorite color but the way Hitachi molds things into strange organic shrilly messes is horrible.... on the flipside there's Porter Cable's 20v subdued colors and overly Millennium Falcon look that is equally hard too like.  But looks aren't what matter to me(you should see my wife lololol JK).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

like i said before my friend has the DEWALT DWD112 8.0 Amp 3/8-Inch VSR Pistol-Grip Drill with Keyless All-Metal Chuck . It isnt  that good of a drill and was smoking a lot using a 3/8 bosch daredevil spade bit . while my 1/2 makita way older powered through the wood like no problem. 

The wood was smoking, or the drill was?

11 hours ago, CATERPILLAR said:

I've heard of a couple drills smoking easy from dewalt

• Like 2

Regarding the 3/8" to 1/2" thing: As I considered whether to move up, I had a nagging feeling that I had done it once already.  I'm thinking to myself, didn't I buy a big drill before?  Where is it now?  Why does this seem familiar?  And then I remembered - the "big drill" was the Makita 3/8" I bought in 1993, and I'd moved up from this 1/4" drill:

black-decker-7043-14-single-speed-drill-with-chuck-key-1.27.jpg

Remember when the 1/4" drill was more or less the standard?  Now you never even see them.

This, by the way, is probably why I hold a drill like a pistol with my index finger on the switch.  Look at it; there's no other way you could hold it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dwasifar said:

Regarding the 3/8" to 1/2" thing: As I considered whether to move up, I had a nagging feeling that I had done it once already.  I'm thinking to myself, didn't I buy a big drill before?  Where is it now?  Why does this seem familiar?  And then I remembered - the "big drill" was the Makita 3/8" I bought in 1993, and I'd moved up from this 1/4" drill:

black-decker-7043-14-single-speed-drill-with-chuck-key-1.27.jpg

Remember when the 1/4" drill was more or less the standard?  Now you never even see them.

This, by the way, is probably why I hold a drill like a pistol with my index finger on the switch.  Look at it; there's no other way you could hold it.

Nice I have an olde Milwaukee 1/4 hole shooter drill love it :) 

13 hours ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Here is my 1/4 Milwaukee hole shooter. When I got it the handle was melted a little and was very dirty and forward,reverse tab was broken.

20170120_190213.jpg

What do you do with all these tools you rehab?  Surely you've got more than you can use.  Do you just keep them, or do you sell them, or what?

• Like 1

What's a cord?

Sorry to sound ignorant but what is the love for corded drills?  I can see if you were at a bench doing repetitive drilling 8 hours on end but I have not plugged in my Bosch corded drill in 10 years.  Cost?

20 years ago I had a place for corded stuff because the cordless technology had not evolved to where it has today.

So school me. What are your needs that make this better?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

What's a cord?

Sorry to sound ignorant but what is the love for corded drills?  I can see if you were at a bench doing repetitive drilling 8 hours on end but I have not plugged in my Bosch corded drill in 10 years.  Cost?

20 years ago I had a place for corded stuff because the cordless technology had not evolved to where it has today.

So school me. What are your needs that make this better?

Because some of use still have a love for corded . I know I always will and because I can't afford  having all cordless and sometimes I don't have time for charging batteries and because I collect tools and restore them 

• Like 1

Some of us are in a shop. Corded drill have more power as well. When your drilling large holes thru steel you don't grab the cordless. When repetively drilling all day you dont want a cordless. Even the crane has a power source for corded tools, sometimes cordless dont cut it even when in the same catagory. Other times cordless makes sence. Like working on a ladder, who wamts cords to deal with lol. Both are great and what you do for a living makes a huge difference on what you need.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Theultimatehic said:

Some of us are in a shop. Corded drill have more power as well. When your drilling large holes thru steel you don't grab the cordless. When repetively drilling all day you dont want a cordless. Even the crane has a power source for corded tools, sometimes cordless dont cut it even when in the same catagory. Other times cordless makes sence. Like working on a ladder, who wamts cords to deal with lol. Both are great and what you do for a living makes a huge difference on what you need.

Well said ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Theultimatehic said:

Yea no doubt about all that.

I do a lot of steel work and my cordless stuff stacks up pretty well against any 3/8" corded drill I have owned.  If I had to do some drilling in thick steel my 1/2" Bosch would make sense.

I just dislike cords :)

Thanks for input.

• Like 2