Couple new toys

builditguy

I've been wanting the 20v sds for quite a while.

First time I've seen one in person. It's quite a bit smaller than I was expecting. No problem with that. Probably even better.

The drywall screwgun was more for convenience. One less cord to drag around.

Then again, isn't that the whole point. bf85db2310a51ca18858453807c28771.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

The SDS is Model # DCH273.  The drywall screwgun is Model #DCF620.

For the SDS I have been wanting one for so long.  We have the standard drill/hammer drills, but they never really do very good for drilling concrete.  If you need to drill a mortar joint, yea, concrete block, yes, slowly.  If you need to drill concrete you might as well forget it.  

We've been carrying around a couple larger SDS drills.  I don't know the model that's in my truck, but it's a Bosch.  It's big amazing.  Drills and chips like crazy.  The downside is that I have to drag out a cord and get out the bigger drill, for small jobs.  A few holes for Tapcons and it seems like such a waste of time.

I read all the reviews and watched reviews on youtube.  Hopefully it will do everything I want.  I'm not looking to replace the Bosch, just one that will work better than the Drill/hammerdrill.  

For the drywall screwgun, I also read and watched all the reviews I could find.  I liked the way the Bosch only turned on, when pushed, but I'm on the DeWalt 20v platform so buying another brand seemed foolish.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not opposed to other brands.  There are some other brands that I like.  The problem comes in transport and compatibility.  I only have so much room in my truck.  If I start adding different brands of batteries and chargers, that's a spot that I loose.  If I stick with one brand, I can keep a couple chargers and a handful of batteries, then everything else can be used for tools.

Usually 2 batteries will get me through the day.  I can't even remember when I got out a charger.  The 20v batteries last so long.  When one goes dead, I just stick it in the truck and get out another one.  When I get home, I have a couple chargers set up in the garage.  I stick the dead ones on and either get them later or get them in the morning.

I am well on my way to a cordless jobsite.  Wouldn't work for everyone, but for remodeling I don't see why it wouldn't.  

Have been eyeing the DCH273 for a while now. Just waiting to see when a friend is coming down from US and can hopefully carry one for me. I could use a corded Bosch one but working on ceilings becomes difficult with them. Base structure of homes in India is built using rebar enforced mortar. Thankfully the walls are made of bricks which are easy to work through with a normal hammer drill.
However, if I am right, when using a core holesaw, you have to use normal drilling mode, right.

3 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Great deals I've seen on the 273 ,,,I think I love the newer 293 sds plus but holding off to compare the new Flexvolt sds max...haven't heard any reviews on either but the 273 reviews are all 5 star...good choice !

Unless they have more than one flexvolt SDS coming, they won't compare. The Flexvolt is a 1 9/16" class drill and the 20v 293 is a 1 1/8th" class drill. 

That's apples and firetrucks. 

Thank you, question; is the added weight bigger motor and wider holes it can drill worth the extra loot for the flex ? I'm usually drilling 5/8 to 1" holes in foundations,,am I going to burn up the new 20v max 293 because it's near its limits    ,or can it handle it ? I'd rather go 20v max 293 for weight and size...

11 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

Thank you, question; is the added weight bigger motor and wider holes it can drill worth the extra loot for the flex ? I'm usually drilling 5/8 to 1" holes in foundations,,am I going to burn up the new 20v max 293 because it's near its limits    ,or can it handle it ? I'd rather go 20v max 293 for weight and size...

Funny I'm trying to figure out which to go for but for the opposite reason, I drill small holes often and I'm afraid of going too big and snapping my bits. 

For you the question is do you use your SDS for anything smaller than 1/2", if so I'd go for the 293, if not, get the big guy. For the little bit of added weight you're going to be doing a lot less work yourself unless you drill overhead a lot. For me I'd rather heave a larger tool for less time than a lighter tool for a longer time but you might disagree. 

I also just discovered that there is another Flexvolt unit coming out (DCH-333) which seems to be the 293 converted to 60v, same stats but it might fit in between the 20v price and the big boy Flexvolt. Probably waiting till end of the year or next year for that one though.  CH

Right now I use a giant ,heavy ,old Makita 1 1/2"( I think) it's a corded beast...but it's dying,so I'd rather go cordless now...plus it's over kill I think, with these newer cordless powerful ones ...it's a little outta my expertise deciding being a framer....

.  but a necessary part of framing, there is so much hardware to install on a house it's insane...

4 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Ya...a lot of 1/4" and 3/8" for tapcons...but usually use a hammer drill for those..is the sds max 293 a better tool for those sizes also ? 

I want to think so, started a thread earlier today to midogrumpy to find out myself. 

But...you already having a 1 1/2" SDS I'm thinking you'd be unimpressed with a 1 1/8" cordless SDS. I'd go big if I were you and head right for the 1 9/16" class, and if you found it really necessary after a period of time, buy a smaller SDS. But if you've been getting by with a hammer drill, you can use the hammer drill for ordinary stuff but with the big bits, that's not an option. Cover your bases and get the biggun'. 

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I want to think so, started a thread earlier today to midogrumpy to find out myself. 

But...you already having a 1 1/2" SDS I'm thinking you'd be unimpressed with a 1 1/8" cordless SDS. I'd go big if I were you and head right for the 1 9/16" class, and if you found it really necessary after a period of time, buy a smaller SDS. But if you've been getting by with a hammer drill, you can use the hammer drill for ordinary stuff but with the big bits, that's not an option. Cover your bases and get the biggun'. 

Framer Joe is pretty much where I'm at.  We get into situations where we need to drill alot of 1/4" holes or 3/16" holes.  For tapcons.  

Currently (or until yesterday) we would get out the big Bosch, drill the holes and then use an impact to put in the screws.  We have found this is the most efficient method, for us.  

Getting out the big Bosch was the annoying part.  Finding power, running cords, making sure the cords don't have a nick, making sure doors are propped open, you know  appeasing the OSHA gods.

We used the drill yesterday, for just a few holes.  For what we wanted, it was perfect.  I like the smaller size.  If I were drilling larger holes or chipping alot of brick, it may not be the tool for the job.  For having a very good hammer drill, for smaller holes, I can't imagine it much better.  

Since we have this one, I may look at the other sizes for the other trucks.  

So far, for 1/2" or smaller holes, I recommend this drill 100%.  Once we put it to the test, on larger tasks, I can give more information.    We are tearing out a 12" block wall, today.  I'm curious to see what drill comes out of the truck.  I'm going to keep my mouth shut and just see what they choose.  I'm betting they grab the new cordless.

The 273 works perfectly for tapcons. It works fine for 1/2" redheads.

In a pinch, I used it to bore a hole for a fence post in a 4" deep concrete pad. It took an hour and 3 batteries. It Would have been faster with my Bosch sds max, but due to room in the van, I don't carry that anymore.

I would think the sds max in flexvolt would be ideal. Only slightly bigger than the 273/293 but big enough for an occasional 1 1/2 hole through a foundation or a 6" hole through a pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new sds is the only drill they used.  I only saw one hole drilled.  The rest was using a chipping bit.  I would say this wasn't a full test for the drill.  Alot of hand work in that job.  

I noticed a couple things.  They used the same battery all day.  The drill was actually running for over an hour, in about 5 minute increments.  They would chip on some mortar in the tight areas and use hammers in the larger areas.

Since the drill has the cushioning in the gearset, it takes a little to get used to.  When drilling down, I don't think it makes a difference.  When using the drill horizontally you have to push it a little harder, to get it to engage.  Just a difference, not a deal breaker.

At the end of the day, my main guy told me he really liked the drill.  The only part he was upset about is that it got dirty.  

I don't think I could ask for more.  It appears that it will do exactly what we needed.  I may go for a bigger one, for the next purchase, but so far, no complaints.  I mentioned above that I kind of liked that it was on the smaller side.  Everyone mentioned they like the smaller size.