Bye bye dewalt :(

Roasty

Damn man that's horrible, you had like 20 batteries...I'd cry if that happened to me. I've been contemplating looking into GPS'ing a few of my bigger tools in case this happens I have a small window to catch the thief. 

Check your insurances to see if you're covered, might get lucky. 

3 minutes ago, JakeDewalt said:

Yeah he is not in the states.

Lesson Learned guys Secure Your Investment and Livelyhood.

Happens to the best of us. I was stolen from 3 times in 2016 out the work truck. 

Cant get insurance for your tools in Ireland unfortunately. Only thing u can do is alarm and secure your van to the best of your ability. You'd nearly want a german shepherd in the back over here 

Welcome to the club bro. Mine worked out to being just under $12,000 stolen. Kinda makes your blood boil. Most frustrating part was that I knew who stole my stuff both times and so did the sheriff's department but there isn't anything they would or could do. My only advice is don't lose any sleep over it because then they aren't just stealing your shit they're also stealing your time and piece of mind. I know it's pretty much impossible to do now that your whole livelihood is gone. I was able  to just stop what I was working on and  drove truck for a month. Hope you're still able to make it work. I feel you bro.

• Sad 1

Damn, that sucks.  A burglary started my descent into tool-buying madness a few years ago.  Fortunately, I didn't have much in the way of cordless tools back then, but the thief took a generator, lawn mower, air compressor, and a bunch of other tools, guns, and my TV.

If anyone is interested, I have a spreadsheet I built a few months back while on 24-hour duty.  I still haven't updated it with serial numbers, but it has tabs for various brands and everything from a description of the tool to the place and date purchased.  Maybe updating it will be next weekend's project.  I'm also planning to make a video of my tools with screenshots of the serial numbers.  It's a pain to take individual pictures, and a YouTube guy that explained how he protected his video game collection brought up that video is one of the best ways to prove ownership. 

Holy shit man. I'm so sorry this happend to you. Here in Finland we have insurance that covers theft from a locked work van. I have never had any tools stolen but that shit happens to people who don't deserve it and trying to make a livelihood with those tools. Hope things work out for you.

Skickat från min LG-H815 via Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'm from Australia :) appreciate the support, lucky I have some spares laying around to get me by for the time being.

its a crazy time for tool thefts here ATM. Trailer cars and everything being nabbed. Working out insurance now so hopefully I can recoup abit back. Just lucky they didn't take my flex table saw or mitre saw.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear @Roasty

3 out of 5 times this year I've been in Bunnings before 8am and there have been Tradie's who had their tools stolen overnight.

One of the staff once said how high the amount of theft has been lately.

It might be a sign of the times in the "lucky country"; the cost of living getting out of control and people getting desperate. Most people wouldn't steal if they were doing ok.

Still a bad thing to do.

10 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Damn man that's horrible, you had like 20 batteries...I'd cry if that happened to me. I've been contemplating looking into GPS'ing a few of my bigger tools in case this happens I have a small window to catch the thief. 

Check your insurances to see if you're covered, might get lucky. 

I wish a tool company would inbuild gps in to there tools, none of this Bluetooth crap!

A bluetooth wrist band that is the "key" to enable a tool (you have to have the key on you for it to work). Have any of the manufacturers using bluetooth done anything like this?

It doesn't have to be a wrist band, maybe the key could go in your pocket, on your belt, put it wherever you want. It just has to be near the tool for it to work (~1m). No key nearby, no work.

Just like using a key to start your car. You could pair multiple tools to a key ( so all your tools work with the same key), or have a key for each tool.

Maybe even have your mobile work as the "key", so you have to have your mobile phone with you for them to work.

Again, I've probably just described exactly what Dewalt/Bosch/Milwaukee are doing already. I haven't paid much attention to the bluetooth stuff coming out, it just seems mostly not worth the effort (a solution looking for a problem, which is 99% of the software industry this decade).

1 hour ago, D W said:

A bluetooth wrist band that is the "key" to enable a tool (you have to have the key on you for it to work). Have any of the manufacturers using bluetooth done anything like this?

One Key and Tool Connect tools have locking features. Bosch might but I'm not sure. Not sure if anyone uses these features. Would seem cumbersome to open up an app just to set how the tool locks. I think the locking options are either schedule based which is tool is unlocked for x amount of time then auto locks, instant lock which is tool locks cause you told it to lock, and finally an out of range lock which locks the tool when the app loses contact with the tool. If there was a more convenient way to lock the tool or set other settings of the tool other than phones, I would think connected tools would take off better. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jronman said:

One Key and Tool Connect tools have locking features. Bosch might but I'm not sure. Not sure if anyone uses these features. Would seem cumbersome to open up an app just to set how the tool locks. I think the locking options are either schedule based which is tool is unlocked for x amount of time then auto locks, instant lock which is tool locks cause you told it to lock, and finally an out of range lock which locks the tool when the app loses contact with the tool. If there was a more convenient way to lock the tool or set other settings of the tool other than phones, I would think connected tools would take off better. 

Yeah the update to one key that let you do this came out after they were stolen. I had the DeWalt batteries with the feature, but I didn't activate it because it was cold and I just wanted to go home.

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

That does sound kinda clunky and not suprised that few are using it.

Something outside of your phone, like A wrist band or something you put in your pocket that automatically enables the tools when in range/close proximity (~1m), and the tool by default doesn't work if nothing is "enabling" it (I guess it would transmit every 10 seconds or similar to keep it active).

This could be bluetooth or the same tech used for credit card paypass/touch, RFID chip etc. You do nothing but go near the tool (like hold it) and it works. Put it down and its locked.

Or a simple manual button like a keyless entry for your car. Click, beep beep, on for all tools in your tool box, tools default to off after 20 minutes of not being used.