Wow, be safe. I wonder what tool it was though

DR99

Makes you wonder how many people aren't following safety rules, are unwilling to follow them, or don't even know what the safety rules are. Like my work for example. I put in effort to keep safe but its hard when others don't care as much. I could be like use a vac with your tool will ya and they could be like na its too inconvenient. Monday was a great example. We had a tin roofing job on an old wood frame barn. Not only was the roof slick, we were instructed to walk on the trusses only. To me it looked like the boards nailed on top of the trusses, that were kinda like the sheathing, were not very strong anymore and some even wore/rotted loose. One of our guys actually slid off the roof. He didn't get hurt or anything but it could've been worse. They actually attempted to be "safe" by having a guy stand at the ridge with a rope tied to himself and a guy working below.

Damn, two reminders of how dangerous tools can be.  I'll admit to having done questionable things back when I was invincible, but having survived Iraq and Afghanistan I'm not willing to risk my life using tools.  Heck, these days I even drive the speed limit or slower if conditions are bad.

Safety features on saws have spoiled me to the point where I don't like using older saws without them.  For example, I had to use my brother's old corded DeWalt circular saw late last year for a project we were working on.  I'd used my PC 18v for the previous few years.  Needless to say, the lack of a brake on the DeWalt surprised me initially.  I'd grown so spoiled by such a basic feature that I forgot that some circular saws don't have a brake!

• Like 3

Wow that is crazy! that is only about 45 mins south of my house. I always try to be safe but cringe while watching my coworker be a idiot most the time I can't even watch.. he didn't listen to me when I told him to watch out for kickback but this proves that it happens more then most ever think. He literally laughed and said ya right I'm stronger then that saw I just shook my head

Do those big concrete saws even have blade guards on them?

As far as the idiot with the chain saw - I can't tell you the number of people that I've seen using chain saws with zero protective gear and every one of them will defend themselves by saying that people that are hurt by chain saws are the ones that don't know how to use them.

*sigh*

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, khariV said:

Do those big concrete saws even have blade guards on them?

As far as the idiot with the chain saw - I can't tell you the number of people that I've seen using chain saws with zero protective gear and every one of them will defend themselves by saying that people that are hurt by chain saws are the ones that don't know how to use them.

*sigh*

The same is true of nearly every dangerous item and its so-called "professional" users.  I know Soldiers who think they are incapable of making a mistake when it comes to firearms, and almost anyone who is into guns has seen, or at least heard of, the DEA agent who shot himself in a classroom.  I passed through Gastonia, NC around the time Kyle Busch got ticketed for driving 128 in a 45 mph zone (he was featured on the cover of the local arrests tabloid).  I'm sure if someone asked him at the time he'd have stated that he was a professional who knew what he was doing -- not some local yahoo with a souped up 350 and no track time.  From my experience, guys who ride sports bikes take a disproportionate amount of risk, doing stunts on the highways and zooming around vehicle ten times their size.  Again, though, "it won't/can't/whatever happen to me, I know what I'm doing".

I, for one, don't want the last thought going through my mind to be, "I was wrong".

• Like 1