Future Makita Batteries and the illusive 6ah

SchenzhenSpecial

Today I visited the DnM tool show in London, if you have a look @Ned post here:

I wanted to make a new thread as the other is dragging on a little after being derailed by usless nonsence. A few things I looked at. As Ned posted, photos of the current cordless X2 mitre saw and the spacing between the two batteries. I did take a tape measure and there's just about 4mm between the two batteries. If you considered future cells well 5mm longer this would consume 5mm between the two batteries unless they could shave .5mm from each side and they theoretically could be used while rubbing cheeks.

However I did speak to the uk Rep/Sales Manager, I believe his name is Martin and gave him the tales of speculation and his answer was basically 'where do they dream up these stories' while wearing a right grin, so he obviously isn't letting much go in terms of information on any possible future batteries but as for now they want you to presume it's not happening. It is, and the new tools are evident of this.

Also asked the question on 6ah batteries and why they're so hard to get hold of in the UK and the simple answer was, they can't make them fast enough to meet demand but they are due back in the UK before the end of the year so they will be back on shelves. Was surprised to see however, they're currently listed in Makitas new product catalogue at just over £360 each if memory serves which is an absurd figure.

They were still sellin BL1830 batteries (no indicator) and fairly cheap so I'd imagine there's a lot of old stock they're trying to clear to at least bring in the 1830B widespread.

Also heard that the 36v Rail/Plunge saw will be available in the UK this month.

1 minute ago, JimboS1ice said:

Why keep it so secret? Bosch and Dewalt are using 20700 and Metabo I think upped to 21700 it’s only a matter of time Makita

.... I think RIDGID/AEG 5.0 runs 20700s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's only worthwile being common knowledge if everyone is doing the same thing. Maybe they aren't doing what we would expect. Solid state?

It's only worthwile being common knowledge if everyone is doing the same thing. Maybe they aren't doing what we would expect. Solid state?

Doubt it for now, it’s on the horizon but I don’t think production and costs are there yet

12 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Did you check any older x2 tools like the rotary/brushed circular saw/hedge trimmer.

I think these do not have any space between the batteries. I can check Monday at work :)

The tools were there but not loaded with batteries and they were funny about me taking batteries off tools. I even got a funny look when I pulled a tape measure out of my pocket to measure up the mitre saw. I don't think they're comfortable at all with the speculation. 

• Like 2

On 08/10/2017 at 9:58 PM, SchenzhenSpecial said:

The tools were there but not loaded with batteries and they were funny about me taking batteries off tools. I even got a funny look when I pulled a tape measure out of my pocket to measure up the mitre saw. I don't think they're comfortable at all with the speculation. 

The gap is 2.5mm-3mm on current x2 tools. Spacing is bigger on the x2 grinders. New batteries are coming and they have been delayed. No information on what cells are being used 

There are shops here in UK have them too, but that is not the point about.

The stock is very limited and the majority of big Makita retailers does not have them which is my concern. Makita themself did not bring any of the 6Ah on 2 big Tools Shows and in fact promoting the 5Ah. Thre isn't ANY tool/tool set coming with 6Ah in the box. And that is the case since early Summer here in UK.

All this it does not look like to me just like Makita just can not meet the demand. 

That is just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Jronman said:

Solid state is supposed to be cheaper than Li-ion.

... when it is mass-produced in the same scale as 18650s are at the moment. We are not even at any kind of mass production with solid state batteries yet.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2017 at 6:07 PM, JimboS1ice said:

Just speculation

Sounds like smart speculation. Like everything else it won’t be Makita Milwaukee or anyone else making the cells themselves but buying from Samsung, Sony etc whenever they are able to release cells. If we aren’t hearing about solid state coming soon from anywhere else it probably isn’t coming to tools soon either.