Flexvolt Miter Saw

fm2176

Okay, so I finally gave in despite having two 20v Max miter saws.  Home Depot dropped the price to $400, and even though the free stand promotion seems to have ended, $388 out the door was too good to pass up.  

The portable power station kit is $399 right now, and the table saw has dropped to $250, so at this rate I may get those to have a second set of Flexvolt batteries.

I'll admit that the 120v Max saw is appreciably heavy.  Maybe it's age catching up, but I grabbed the saw and quickly decided to beeline for the lumber department to find a cart.  This will most likely reside in the shop (when I move out of this apartment), along with one of the 20v Max saws, at least until I get the mobile stand.

With this purchase, I'm quickly running out of tools to buy; still need a table saw, planer, and dust collection, but that's really about it.  Even if I don't use the cordless capability, the corded option was one of the main reasons I bought this saw.  I guess a bonus is that I'll be able to run the power station off of four 6Ah batteries (three FlexVolt and the XR I got free a few weeks ago) if I get that.

• Like 2

Okay, so I finally gave in despite having two 20v Max miter saws.  Home Depot dropped the price to $400, and even though the free stand promotion seems to have ended, $388 out the door was too good to pass up.  

The portable power station kit is $399 right now, and the table saw has dropped to $250, so at this rate I may get those to have a

Thanks for the heads up ..... just received my refund of the 2 I bought last week [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, framer said:

those tools have been sitting for a while at some stores. so eventually they cut the price to move them.

Mine has 2016 dates on the tool and battery.  Compare that to the last few DeWalt 20v Max tools and batteries I've gotten, all of which are dated 2017 and have boxes that looked like they just came off the truck.

48 minutes ago, denrusso said:

$400!?!?  Was that for the saw only or the saw with the two battery packs?  Is this pricing store specific?  My local HD still has them at $699 (saw with batteries).

Thanks,

dr

That was for the full kit containing the adapter and two batteries.  Most of the stores that are local to me dropped the price for $560 to $400 a couple of weeks ago, though one store jacked them back up to $799 during the stand promo.  

By now it may be hit or miss.  I saw one display still on the rack a couple of days ago.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fm2176 said:

That was for the full kit containing the adapter and two batteries.  Most of the stores that are local to me dropped the price for $560 to $400 a couple of weeks ago, though one store jacked them back up to $799 during the stand promo.  

By now it may be hit or miss.  I saw one display still on the rack a couple of days ago.

It is all about what will be "regular stock" at that particular store. One store may be keeping the FlexVolt display, while the next one up the road will close it out and maybe it will get the 36V Makita display in it's place. I have one Home Depot about 12 miles away and another about 25. You can get much of the 20 Volt MAX line at one, while the other has it for promotions and closes it out several times a year, yet they kept the FlexVolt display. One of them has several sizes of ToughSystem available most of the time while the other has it for black friday deals in packages.

Since I figured it out a little bit, I know one will have an item all the time should I find I need it, while the other with a little patience might yield the bargains after the holidays. For example instead of $99 for the small blower and bluetooth speaker, $49 for each. Sometimes you might wait a little too long and the item sells before you grab it and other times it drops a little lower. I ended up with a  HDX 1 1/2 to 2 gallon compressor for $14 one time. I wasn't really looking for one but at that price, it was a great buy for my airbrush.

So 

12 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

It is all about what will be "regular stock" at that particular store. One store may be keeping the FlexVolt display, while the next one up the road will close it out and maybe it will get the 36V Makita display in it's place. I have one Home Depot about 12 miles away and another about 25. You can get much of the 20 Volt MAX line at one, while the other has it for promotions and closes it out several times a year, yet they kept the FlexVolt display. One of them has several sizes of ToughSystem available most of the time while the other has it for black friday deals in packages.

Since I figured it out a little bit, I know one will have an item all the time should I find I need it, while the other with a little patience might yield the bargains after the holidays. For example instead of $99 for the small blower and bluetooth speaker, $49 for each. Sometimes you might wait a little too long and the item sells before you grab it and other times it drops a little lower. I ended up with a  HDX 1 1/2 to 2 gallon compressor for $14 one time. I wasn't really looking for one but at that price, it was a great buy for my airbrush.

So basically I should never make a purchase from homedepot.com!  I'm going to try and visit a few stores this week to see if I can spot a deal like this...

Thanks,

dr

1 hour ago, denrusso said:

So 

So basically I should never make a purchase from homedepot.com!  I'm going to try and visit a few stores this week to see if I can spot a deal like this...

Thanks,

dr

Depending on the proximity and number of locations near you and your schedule, store visits can result in much better deals.  Factor in the discounts that can be applied to anything not requiring a coupon (special buys and such; two discount codes can't be used), and the deals, while hit or miss, can be spectacular.  My first Milwaukee purchases were almost designed to go quick--the Fuel d-handle rotary hammer at 75% off and the 5.0Ah starter kit next to it at 50% off.  $130.50 plus tax for both if my math is correct.

The normal clearance sections at most stores I've visited are located on end caps.  There is usually a tool focused end cap and one with plumbing and miscellany.  Additionally, there is almost always an electrical clearance section tucked away in or near electrical and sometimes an outdoor section in lawn and garden.  Occasionally there will be a table set up at the front of the store with tools (most new but some displays) and hardware.  Some stores will have a tool display near the contractor entrance or tool rental.

Most importantly, browse the aisles.  Many clearance items never leave their original location.  Also, check for odd places for items.  Some of the podium ladder I picked up last year at 75% off were in the paint department.

14 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

Depending on the proximity and number of locations near you and your schedule, store visits can result in much better deals.  Factor in the discounts that can be applied to anything not requiring a coupon (special buys and such; two discount codes can't be used), and the deals, while hit or miss, can be spectacular.  My first Milwaukee purchases were almost designed to go quick--the Fuel d-handle rotary hammer at 75% off and the 5.0Ah starter kit next to it at 50% off.  $130.50 plus tax for both if my math is correct.

The normal clearance sections at most stores I've visited are located on end caps.  There is usually a tool focused end cap and one with plumbing and miscellany.  Additionally, there is almost always an electrical clearance section tucked away in or near electrical and sometimes an outdoor section in lawn and garden.  Occasionally there will be a table set up at the front of the store with tools (most new but some displays) and hardware.  Some stores will have a tool display near the contractor entrance or tool rental.

Most importantly, browse the aisles.  Many clearance items never leave their original location.  Also, check for odd places for items.  Some of the podium ladder I picked up last year at 75% off were in the paint department.

Thanks for the pointers - will give this a try!

Thanks,

dr

7 hours ago, denrusso said:

Thanks for the pointers - will give this a try!

Thanks,

dr

There are usually yellow "clearance flags" at the end of the aisle where the clearance items are consolidated. Learn to spot them at one store and you will see them easily at every other Home Depot you walk into. There is an Aisle that goes side to side at the front of the stores that is just behind the cash registers and the seasonal sales, then there is a row of aisles that run perpendicular to that with various item in it with lumber, tools, plumbing, electrical and more items then about halfway back in the store there is another aisle that runs parallel to the front aisle. It is usually along that aisle that you will spot those "clearance flags".

Happy hunting!