20v Framer Dropped and Broken

JakeDewalt

I dropped from about 5ft up onto a Concrete driveway landed on its side.

No Longer fires nails just barely sets them into the wood. 

If I broke a spring is this how it would act

trying to diagnose before I take to service center.

Also on a Side note I ordered  the Hitachi A5 Coil Framer kinda moving away from cordless nailers.

Still plan on getting the Dewalt fixed as a in a pinch gun.

7 hours ago, framer said:

broken spring would dryfire, because it pulls the firing blade up after shooting.

you check the power switch? 1 vs 2?

Thanks for the help .

Power switch is on 2

i believe I have jammed the driver blade.

A little diagnosis sometimes it will fire the 1st shot then after that set each nail only 1/8 of an inch into the wood. 

14 hours ago, builditguy said:

I can’t help you.

As a side note, I’m considering getting the Hitachi cordless framer. Trying to get away from pneumatic.

Really like the DeWalt framer. Just thinking the Hitachi might be better.
Won’t fit my batteries though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a hard look at the Hitachi cordless and it's definantly badass seems heavier than the Dewalt. Uses compressed air to fire.

Im not buying into their battery platform for 1 tool so I decided against it .

if it ever hits the Lowe's clearance section I'll probably pick it up anyway

6 minutes ago, JRS5565 said:

Might be better to just get a new one the service center hosed me on repairs.

Mine charges me a Flat Rate of 99.99 and they call it a Tune up includes parts so getting it fixed really isn't an issue

My Hitachi A5 comes tommorrow so for now I'm running Air 

This Dewalt gun is the best and worst tool they make if that makes any sense 

1 hour ago, JRS5565 said:

99.99 Is not bad  I sent it in and the guaranteed repair cost was 199.99 max and they ate every bit of that with poor results.

I Will no longer fix  other then the springs.

Yeah I must agree with the poor results at service center Repairs.

Saddest Part is they Test the guns with 2in Smooth Shank nails. They won't test the guns in the service center for 3.25 RingShank?

18 hours ago, JakeDewalt said:

I took a hard look at the Hitachi cordless and it's definantly badass seems heavier than the Dewalt. Uses compressed air to fire.

Im not buying into their battery platform for 1 tool so I decided against it .

if it ever hits the Lowe's clearance section I'll probably pick it up anyway

Taking on another battery platform is the biggest drawback.  Probably the only thing holding me back.  Not that multiple platforms aren't aren't a possibility, but not something I want to deal with.

I'll leave it at that.  I don't want to hijack a thread.  I'll leave it for another thread.

Not sure about your experiences with a service center.  It's been years since I've dealt with one.  At that time, I had no issues.  It really has no bearing on what your experience will be.  

Hopefully someone will chime in and say, "Take it here XXXXXX, they will do a great job."

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about your gun, it’s definitely fkd, I never dropped mine on concrete but they’ve been dropped off tall decks 10-15’ onto the ground, just never had a problem with the 3 I have. I’m shooting 3 1/2 paslode galv...and 2 3/8 ring shank .......

hitachi makes real good finish guns, we used hitachi nailers, coiler and framing guns, not coil framers....but switched to bostich a year ago...

2 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Sorry to hear about your gun, it’s definitely fkd, I never dropped mine on concrete but they’ve been dropped off tall decks 10-15’ onto the ground, just never had a problem with the 3 I have. I’m shooting 3 1/2 paslode galv...and 2 3/8 ring shank .......

hitachi makes real good finish guns, we used hitachi nailers, coiler and framing guns, not coil framers....but switched to bostich a year ago...

How do you like the Bostich? My experience with them is guns tended to have jamming issues. We have a few guns at work that don't get used but the compressors get used all the time. I'm told we go through a Bostich compressor once every 2 years.

• Like 1

Question wasn't for me, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.  We switched to Bostitch.  For framers, I like the ability to adjust the depth easily.  Push a button, move it in and out, and release the button.  Huge improvement.  We had Paslode.  They were great, but had to use an allen wrench to adjust depth.  

As a side note, I will admit, we haven't gotten the Bostitch out,  since we got the DeWalt framer.  We are going to start a house soon and I plan on trying it with all cordless.  

@Jronman...I like bostich guns, the stick framer( wire 3.5 “) are heavier but shoot nice. Before hitachi we were all paslode...basically the companys I run go by price of nails ,not brands...we buy crates of nails not boxes...the cost of nails is the problems not the brands usually..

but bostich coil nailers are very good also, I think hitachi makes the best finish guns....but I do love my Dewalt “ Precision point” finish guns, with no movement of the tip ,they are awesome, but hitachi has that blow out button..very handy...

• Like 1

I have been so happy with the DeWalt framer.  Then, yesterday, it started annoying me.  I would say, half the nails I shot, were left proud by a little less than 1/8".  Not the end of the world, but I had to go back and hit them with a hammer.

Not sure what that means, but I'll keep an eye on it.

4 hours ago, builditguy said:

I have been so happy with the DeWalt framer.  Then, yesterday, it started annoying me.  I would say, half the nails I shot, were left proud by a little less than 1/8".  Not the end of the world, but I had to go back and hit them with a hammer.

Not sure what that means, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Depth Adjustment ?

PSI adjustment ?