Highest drain tools

Babysaw

I haven't tried all types of tools, but out of the tools I have, I've found Angle grinders are the hardest on batteries. I was able to run a 6.2ah LiHD Metabo battery completely flat in 2-3 minutes (remember, this battery also has big 20700 cells!). I must say though, I've never used a cordless circular saw so perhaps they are harder on them. 

I've found the Dewalt 20V hedge trimmer is the easiest on batteries out of all the tools I own. I'm amazed at the runtime it gets (and it's brushed). I assume the other brands hedge trimmers are similar. 

• Like 1

The 60v compressor and table saw can suck down 9 AH batteries fast if used hard.  Also the chainsaw can drain a 9 in what seems like a few minutes when pushed hard bucking.  My circ saw and grinder can drain a battery fast but typically only get used in spurts so it's never an issue. 

Easiest would be lights, radio and dcf887 impact.  Nail guns run an amazing long time too.  

• Like 1

20v compact blower eats the 1.5ah in 1-2minutes constant and 9.0 in about 20 minutes you wouldn't think that little thing would suck so much power and the mower eats 2 5.0s in like 4 minutes the grinder does go thru batterys pretty quick under constant use as well I think like 7 minutes on the 5.0

• Like 2

Mine is the Dewalt 2speed framer. Unless I’m running a 5.0 or a flexvolt the 4.0s can’t keep up. As a matter of fact because of this I deep 6d them. Also my M18 sump drains them fast but the 9.0s give me about forty minutes vs the 5.0 at something like 20

• Like 1

ChrisK brings up and interesting follow up: how do you prioritize your batteries? 

I run fours and fives in my impacts and drill and a flexvolt 6/2 in my planer and 575 babysaw. I usually run my DCB091 power adapter too all day with whatever is laying around, for my phone and the kid’s bose speaker, which honestly kicks ass. 

ChrisK brings up and interesting follow up: how do you prioritize your batteries? 

I run fours and fives in my impacts and drill and a flexvolt 6/2 in my planer and 575 babysaw. I usually run my DCB091 power adapter too all day with whatever is laying around, for my phone and the kid’s bose speaker, which honestly kicks ass. 

I run 5.0 in my rotary hammer drill/hammer drill/recip saw, 2.0 in my service impact and lights. I like light and portable for service, big batts for all day use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have a couple 2's for light and compact then I have a handful of flex 2/6 for flex tools and runtime for 20v max tools.. I also have a handful of 5.2's from Festool for a couple cordless tools in their line I have and a few m12 2.0's for a heated jacket and stapler.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2018 at 1:13 PM, Jronman said:

so far looks like the mower requires the most power?

And also the only 2x20v Dewalt tool, yes? Seems like a fault in logic when you already have a 2x60 mitre saw with an ac adapter. They could have made a kickass mower with two flex batteries and the option to cord it for heavy duty activity. 

What tool/activity gets a battery the hottest? I’m on the fence about the flexvolt sawzall because I don’t want it to torch my three good 6/2 flex batts. 

60v chainsaw. Hands down. I cut up a 45’ long branch varying between 18 and 12” that came off a giant old oak at my wife’s grandpas house yesterday. About 30 cuts, bucking hard. Then had to take down a couple small 4-6” caliper trees that were smashed by the monster. Probably another 25 cuts or so. Went through 5 x 9 ah batteries and a 6 ah. Some charges went much longer than others (guessing wood density and how straight the cut was?). One cut in particular taking off a branch from the main was two passes (only 16” bar) from downbranch and two pass releif cut from the truncates end. That cut alone ate up a 9ah battery. 

So complaints about battery life aside, it was the first time I’d used the chainsaw on anything more than small stuff playing around. I brought my gas saw along thinking that the cordless just wouldn’t keep up. Holy cow was I wrong. I never even opened the case on my gas saw. Flex volt completely blew me, my father in law, and grandpa away. I’m totally sold on this things ability to replace 75-80% of gas saws. This saw is a BEAST!

The Old 20v grinder can really do a number when cutting cast iron or old plaster... but nowhere near the chainsaw.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2018 at 3:04 PM, dilloncorr said:

60v chainsaw. Hands down. I cut up a 45’ long branch varying between 18 and 12” that came off a giant old oak at my wife’s grandpas house yesterday. About 30 cuts, bucking hard. Then had to take down a couple small 4-6” caliper trees that were smashed by the monster. Probably another 25 cuts or so. Went through 5 x 9 ah batteries and a 6 ah. Some charges went much longer than others (guessing wood density and how straight the cut was?). One cut in particular taking off a branch from the main was two passes (only 16” bar) from downbranch and two pass releif cut from the truncates end. That cut alone ate up a 9ah battery. 

So complaints about battery life aside, it was the first time I’d used the chainsaw on anything more than small stuff playing around. I brought my gas saw along thinking that the cordless just wouldn’t keep up. Holy cow was I wrong. I never even opened the case on my gas saw. Flex volt completely blew me, my father in law, and grandpa away. I’m totally sold on this things ability to replace 75-80% of gas saws. This saw is a BEAST!

The Old 20v grinder can really do a number when cutting cast iron or old plaster... but nowhere near the chainsaw.

Begs the question, should we be unhappy with battery life or pleased with cordless power/battery drain capability? I’d rather have to keep switching batts 

Begs the question, should we be unhappy with battery life or pleased with cordless power/battery drain capability? I’d rather have to keep switching batts 

We take it for granted, the power and portability of these tools.
Batteries are becoming comically large and heavy, and for what? People want tools that are awkward and heavy just to save a battery change? Those batteries just aren’t practical on most small tools.

I love the size and weight of Makita batteries.
I really hope they don’t introduce boat anchor batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/10/2018 at 8:22 PM, Babysaw said:

Which cordless tools work a battery hardest for you? 

Which tools are easiest on your batteries? 

I would say that my cordless 6 gal. shop vac drains batteries like no other especially since it is often used continuously for minutes at a time. My rotary hammer also uses batteries quickly, but that is generally only used in spurts so the battery tends to last longer as a result.

9 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I love the size and weight of Makita batteries.

Keeping a small form-factor is Makita’s calling card. Pretty much guaranteed whatever uber-powered batteries they release will be among the most compact on the market.

I get mixed reports about what size cells Ryobi is using in their latest batteries. Some claim they are actually still using 18650s. What makes this interesting is they have released a compact 4Ah:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-LITHIUM-HP-4-0-Ah-High-Capacity-Battery-P192/301913865

If it’s true that Ryobi’s getting 18650s that can hold 4+Ah at prices that keep them within their price points it would make for a great reason for Makita allegedly scrapped whatever their next larger battery was going to be.

4Ah 18650s exist apparently, too:

https://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/en091225-3/en091225-3.html

I could definitely deal with Makita releasing batteries in their current form factor making 8+Ah. Although how much they’ll likely cost could be prohibitive.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2018 at 5:36 AM, HiltiWpg said:

Why not? If you don't like it, just don't buy it. I could see myself getting one or two for stationary tools like the miter saw or wheeled tools the 6 gal. shop vac (it is made by Ryobi, but I have an adapter that lets me power it with Makita batteries). For those applications, weight is not nearly as much of a concern. I don't see why "boat anchor" batteries can't coexist with smaller ones.

Edited by cliu