Overload protection kicked in

Conductor562

Today was a first for me. A buddy and I were installing the tongue box on my trailer. We had my Milwaukee hammer drill (pre-fuel) and his Dewalt Cobalt bits. I gave the 11/64 bit a good coat of cutting fluid and proceeded to drill the 4 mounting holes through the 3/8" steel frame ( U beam style). This was no easy plunge to make for any cordless drill. It did a wonderful job, but when I broke through on the 3rd hole I ended up putting a bit of side load on it and the overload protection kicked in.

I've had this drill going on 3 years, used it multiple times a week, drilled every conceivable material known to man, and that was the first time I've ever had the OP kick in. It wasn't a big deal, I simply pulled the trigger and took off again, but I was surprised all the same. It's a great drill and it's handled every task I've thrown at it. No complaints at all.

The Dewalt Cobalt bits with the pilot points did a remarkable job. The 11/64 snapped on the 4th hole, but it was a hell of a hole to make as it was at an awkward angle. Ordered him a new one for $4. They impressed me.   

I was using my M12 Impact to drive 4 in. GRK RSS Screws after about the third one, i must have hit a knot or something and it kicked in. Probably not the right tool for the job, but all I have is M12 stuff so it needed to be done!

Was it the Fuel?

It has happened to me also. Just like Eric, I was mixing concrete. Then started to smoke a little. That's when I finally realized and stopped. Dumb. I need to buy a cheap corded still just mixing mortar, concrete, and the thick stuff. Hope I didn't ruin it.

Its unbelievable a cordless drill can even do it, thats why I like the Milwaukee with all the torque.

The D-Handled model in the first link is 7.5 amps which is consistent with the models typically used for mixing. As an occasional user I'd say it would be fine.

The bottom model at around 6 amps would be underpowered and probably wouldn't last long as a mixing drill.

My experience tells me you want to stay in the 8 amp ball park for mixing mortar, concrete, thin set, etc. You could get by with a 6 amp, but you'd have to try to mix small quantities which quickly becomes a pain in the ass.

The D-Handled model in the first link is 7.5 amps which is consistent with the models typically used for mixing. As an occasional user I'd say it would be fine.

The bottom model at around 6 amps would be underpowered and probably wouldn't last long as a mixing drill.

My experience tells me you want to stay in the 8 amp ball park for mixing mortar, concrete, thin set, etc. You could get by with a 6 amp, but you'd have to try to mix small quantities which quickly becomes a pain in the ass.

When I ever need to mix something, I am going to put the fuel to the test! I will make sure to have that on video! 

It's got the power, but it isn't set up for mixing. No D or side handle, no low speed setting, 3/8" chuck,and keyless.

The Milwaukee does have a side handle. Everything else still applies.

Wow! Thank you very much Chase and Conductor!!!! So helpful! I liked the price of the Dewalt you found at Lowes Chase and the Milwaukee. Great prices. And like you said for a little more a good warrant and better quality. I don't really want to buy from Harbor Freight. But like Conductor said the harbor freight one has all the features for mixing. You. Guys are great!!!!