Pulled the Trigger... (New Firearms Thread)

fm2176

Here's a couple of questions.  Do you carry or keep pistols with rounds chambered?  Also, what kind of safeties do you prefer on a handgun?  

For me, the answer to the first question depends on the firearm being carried and the environment I'm in.  If I'm out I'll have a round chambered in my primary, though that's often a moot point since I like the little Taurus revolver so much.  If I'm carrying a mouse gun as a backup in my pocket, I generally only chamber a round when I'm out of the vehicle.  I like carrying a gun on both my strong and weak side, not in hopes of ever using them, but just in case.  My neighbor's pit bull type dog bit my arm years ago when I first moved to Georgia and if he wouldn't have let go, I had the Kel-Tec P32 ready on my free side.

As for safeties, I generally only use them if carrying an M1911.  My Para-Ordnance is the exception, as it is double action.  The Beretta's another exception, as I've trained enough with them that utilizing the decocker/safety is second nature.  Otherwise, I like revolvers (no safety), mouse guns (the Tomcat has a safety and is technically able to be carried cocked with the safety on, but I carry it safety off and hammer down), and full sized pistols (as a lefty, I've gotten pretty decent at manipulating non-ambidextrous controls but still prefer safety off).

Speaking of safeties, are there any preferences for magazine safeties or lack thereof?  My two most recent handgun purchases are both Rugers, but the LCP Max can fire without a mag in it (this is prominently stamped into the side of the pistol) while the EC9s packs a mag safety.  I'm not too particular, but I have heard stories of people, especially cops, losing control of their service weapon and dropping the magazine to avoid getting shot with their own weapon.  

I put the sights on the AR-556 this morning, and have to admit, I like having an AR again.  Over twenty years of training and qualifying with, carrying in war zones, etc. the M16A2, M16A4, M4, and M4A1 makes it probably one of the better choices for a retiring Soldier or Marine.  Not a knock against Sailors or Airmen, but most get nowhere near the trigger time we do with the Stoner designed weapons system.  I do miss my MAK-90, though, and another Kalashnikov may be on the short list to purchase.  Or another FAL.  Damned firearms addiction...I guess DeWalt and Milwaukee aren't getting my money for the foreseeable future.  🇺🇸

11 hours ago, fm2176 said:

Here's a couple of questions.  Do you carry or keep pistols with rounds chambered?  Also, what kind of safeties do you prefer on a handgun?  

For me, the answer to the first question depends on the firearm being carried and the environment I'm in.  If I'm out I'll have a round chambered in my primary, though that's often a moot point since I like the little Taurus revolver so much.  If I'm carrying a mouse gun as a backup in my pocket, I generally only chamber a round when I'm out of the vehicle.  I like carrying a gun on both my strong and weak side, not in hopes of ever using them, but just in case.  My neighbor's pit bull type dog bit my arm years ago when I first moved to Georgia and if he wouldn't have let go, I had the Kel-Tec P32 ready on my free side.

As for safeties, I generally only use them if carrying an M1911.  My Para-Ordnance is the exception, as it is double action.  The Beretta's another exception, as I've trained enough with them that utilizing the decocker/safety is second nature.  Otherwise, I like revolvers (no safety), mouse guns (the Tomcat has a safety and is technically able to be carried cocked with the safety on, but I carry it safety off and hammer down), and full sized pistols (as a lefty, I've gotten pretty decent at manipulating non-ambidextrous controls but still prefer safety off).

Speaking of safeties, are there any preferences for magazine safeties or lack thereof?  My two most recent handgun purchases are both Rugers, but the LCP Max can fire without a mag in it (this is prominently stamped into the side of the pistol) while the EC9s packs a mag safety.  I'm not too particular, but I have heard stories of people, especially cops, losing control of their service weapon and dropping the magazine to avoid getting shot with their own weapon.  

I put the sights on the AR-556 this morning, and have to admit, I like having an AR again.  Over twenty years of training and qualifying with, carrying in war zones, etc. the M16A2, M16A4, M4, and M4A1 makes it probably one of the better choices for a retiring Soldier or Marine.  Not a knock against Sailors or Airmen, but most get nowhere near the trigger time we do with the Stoner designed weapons system.  I do miss my MAK-90, though, and another Kalashnikov may be on the short list to purchase.  Or another FAL.  Damned firearms addiction...I guess DeWalt and Milwaukee aren't getting my money for the foreseeable future.  🇺🇸

My weapons are always Condition 1 for rifles. Condition 0 for the Glock. Everyone in my home, including the kids are trained to shoot. Weapon is either on my body or locked up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fyrfytr998 said:

My weapons are always Condition 1 for rifles. Condition 0 for the Glock. Everyone in my home, including the kids are trained to shoot. Weapon is either on my body or locked up.

I don't currently have a gun safe and plan to reinforce one of my walk in closets and turn it into a gun/safe room.  Once I do I'll likely keep a few firearms in a ready status in there as well as at various locations around the house.  I'm thinking Burt Gummer's wall in Tremors, albeit a bit less cool.  😀

I might head up to Quantico for an optic and picatinny rail adapters today.  I also need to go out to the garage and dig out the old foot locker with my SureFire weapons lights and Safariland mag pouches. I should have a dozen or so mags out there as well, but won't be getting more ammo until the move.  Despite being a big fan of iron sights, that long rail on top of the AR-556 MPR needs something to dress it up, and eventually I may look into a visible laser of some sort as well.  Who knows, if they're available on the commercial market maybe even an IR laser and a set of PVS-14 equivalent night vision.  The latter would be great for night hunting coyotes and boar.

6 hours ago, fm2176 said:

I don't currently have a gun safe and plan to reinforce one of my walk in closets and turn it into a gun/safe room.  Once I do I'll likely keep a few firearms in a ready status in there as well as at various locations around the house.  I'm thinking Burt Gummer's wall in Tremors, albeit a bit less cool.  😀

I might head up to Quantico for an optic and picatinny rail adapters today.  I also need to go out to the garage and dig out the old foot locker with my SureFire weapons lights and Safariland mag pouches. I should have a dozen or so mags out there as well, but won't be getting more ammo until the move.  Despite being a big fan of iron sights, that long rail on top of the AR-556 MPR needs something to dress it up, and eventually I may look into a visible laser of some sort as well.  Who knows, if they're available on the commercial market maybe even an IR laser and a set of PVS-14 equivalent night vision.  The latter would be great for night hunting coyotes and boar.

Dude, seriously, get one. A lot of people don’t understand civil liability and it goes as far as weapon security. If for instance, you park your car in a parking lot and someone breaks in, stealing a firearm. Most courts will hold the owner of the firearm liable for civil responsibility. So yeah…some educationally challenged, EDP, discriminated subject, from a bad home with a bad upbringing, drug addiction, etc etc etc, breaks into your car. Steals your firearm. Shoots some poor person during a robbery attempt. The firearm is located, an investigation ensues, most LE Agencies will not go after the gun owner however… A litigious citizen (or non citizen- yeah they have rights too) files a wrongful death suit and Shazam. You owe money. I’ve heard people bitch about using a gun for home security and shooting some PoS dead on their property and most cases across the USA are considered justified having said that, the aforementioned weapon security can get you in a bowl of hot fudge real quick in civil court and civil suit for a justified shooting can and Will too. 
Having said that after thirty years of public service (25 as a Cop)… better tried by 12 than carried by 6. Especially when my family is at stake.

• Like 1

Also please don’t take my thoughts as insult. They are meant as supportive guidance with a lot of background. You are military and have done great things in service to our Country. When it comes to suit most people don’t care.

• Like 1

Not taken as an insult at all.  As for a safe, I had one...the keypad broke while in storage and it took 15 minutes tops to break into it with a hammer and wrecker bar.  I paid $1000 or so in 2000 and got beer money for scrapping it last year.

I plan to secure my firearms against burglars and thieves, and am thinking that putting a steel core entry door on the closet, coupled with some reinforced (possibly steel or concrete) walls is the way to go.  I plan to buy another fire resistant safe for documents and particularly valuable firearms.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fm2176 said:

Not taken as an insult at all.  As for a safe, I had one...the keypad broke while in storage and it took 15 minutes tops to break into it with a hammer and wrecker bar.  I paid $1000 or so in 2000 and got beer money for scrapping it last year.

I plan to secure my firearms against burglars and thieves, and am thinking that putting a steel core entry door on the closet, coupled with some reinforced (possibly steel or concrete) walls is the way to go.  I plan to buy another fire resistant safe for documents and particularly valuable firearms.

I think that is smart. Having said that, I have a simple safe at home. Any measure for firearm security is a home run when it comes to an affirmative defense against litigation. And to add to story telling, a local Police Chief in New Hampshire was found guilty of a firearms violation when his son took his duty weapon and committed suicide. The poor guy lost his son, and was found in violation of law (being a cop opens you up to higher standards, a normal citizen would not have been dealt with as harshly - we should know better). The reasoning for the charge was the Chief’s weapon was hanging on the wall in his security holster on his gun belt. Lousy lousy lousy lousy situation. I really felt bad for the Chief AND the investigating Officers. You had said something about politics in law enforcement. Our County Attorneys are elected officials. NOT appointed. Need I say more?

• Like 1

Late night photo, a bit of old (my Mossberg 590 bought in '97 or so) with an M9 bayonet mounted for good measure, a bit of new (the three new Rugers, with the AR-556 sporting a Sig  Sauer ROMEO7 red dot, vertical foregrip, and SureFire), and a little purple and blue.

138623330_IMG_20220422_2253422.thumb.jpg.6b168588894661f020adb4c70eb92be2.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 3:58 PM, ChrisK said:

I think that is smart. Having said that, I have a simple safe at home. Any measure for firearm security is a home run when it comes to an affirmative defense against litigation. And to add to story telling, a local Police Chief in New Hampshire was found guilty of a firearms violation when his son took his duty weapon and committed suicide. The poor guy lost his son, and was found in violation of law (being a cop opens you up to higher standards, a normal citizen would not have been dealt with as harshly - we should know better). The reasoning for the charge was the Chief’s weapon was hanging on the wall in his security holster on his gun belt. Lousy lousy lousy lousy situation. I really felt bad for the Chief AND the investigating Officers. You had said something about politics in law enforcement. Our County Attorneys are elected officials. NOT appointed. Need I say more?

That is a very sad situation, but it doesn't surprise me at all that a prosecutor went after him.  I've shared the story here, and often shared it during discussions in various college courses, but I realized how politics affect the justice system at the early age of 18.  Having the Virginia State Trooper give the judge his opinion that no private citizen should be allowed to possess certain weapons (in this case, a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and heat shield) at my appeal was a shock at the time.  In retrospect, it was '97 and the shotgun was technically an "assault weapon".  I also learned the value of hiring the right attorney...the traffic attorney my brother recommended was not well versed in gun laws.

I'd need a big safe for my collection these days.  The old one weighed 550 or so pounds and I think was a 36 gun.  Originally I had an 800 pound safe on layaway but had to downgrade.  It was moved seven times, often by myself with an appliance dolly.  I plan to secure most of my guns, and if a gun wall is built, it will be inside the reinforced closet and likely have cable locks preventing someone from just grabbing a rifle.  Also, and a key thing some don't consider, without ammo the primary purpose of a firearm is gone.  I think that even something as simple as locking up ammo separately can be of benefit and would be viewed favorably by a judge or jury.

I've worked in four Arms Rooms in the Army.  Got bamboozled into the first when my First Sergeant asked me to move with him to Headquarters Company and become the Armorer.  I thought I'd be fixing guns, but at the unit level in the Army it's mostly accountability.  I was the only person with experience when my company in The Old Guard found itself in a bind, but that Arms Room had some really cool historical weapons, so I managed to keep my unaccompanied access for three years, even after technically going back to a platoon.  Later I was an alternate for a Brigade Arms Room, and wouldn't you know it, as a new Drill Sergeant I was made the Company Armorer, spending a week or two after each cycle monitoring weapons gauging and turning in or drawing weapons from Weapons Pool while my peers got some needed time off.  In the Army, there's a two lock standard, meaning vault door and individual locks for each weapons rack or cage.  The heavy vault doors are only rated for 10 minutes of forcible entry resistance, though.  Of course, the few times my alarm was triggered, the Military Police were there in only a few minutes, usually pretty paid back but the first time it happened at Fort Campbell they rolled up in force. 

Destroying my thin steel and fire board safe when I had to made me realize that almost every safe or vault is like a lock--something to keep honest people honest.  

While I still need a proper holster for the EC9s, the pocket holster I bought for the LCP Max and P32 covers it well enough and provides just enough coverage to prevent an exposed trigger (something I'm really careful about when pocket carrying, as I have a tendency to mindlessly put my keys or a pen in a random pocket).  Of course, training will lead to muscle memory and eventually to a big NO when it comes to foreign objects in a gun pocket.

The IWB holster I picked up for the LCP Max is great!  I carry it weak side, and a couple of days ago carried it with the G17 in an IWB holster strong side.  Even with two IWB pistols I was able to work, though I need to adjust the Glock holster as it bugged me how low the pistol sits.  I've got to dig for it, while my previous pistol/holster combos offered a much easier/better draw.

I also picked up some CCW friendly clothing, including button up shirts a size or two bigger than normal and shorts and pants with a couple extra inches in the waist.  Tank tops and t-shirts were also on the list, as an undergarment (or two) is preferred to avoid metal to skin contact.

Ordered a Galco VHS 4.0 shoulder holster for the Model 29.  Given the fairly large frame I don't think that belt carry will be too practical, and this will allow open carry in the woods as well as concealed carry under a large and heavy enough shirt or jacket.  Also just received five more P-Mags I ordered last Friday...just have to order some more ammo, most likely after I move.  I picked up single point slings for the AR-556 and Mossberg as well, but need to find or buy an adapter for the shotgun, or just reinstall the 25-year-old tactical sling I had on it for years.  The AR sling has a new (to me) push button swivel connector, for which there's a compatible attachment point on the stock.  I think I'll still look for another means of attachment, though, as the rifle sits a little low for my tastes while slung.

I think I'm about good on firearms for the time being and need to focus on accessorizing and buying ammo.  I still may look into another Glock but need to find my Streamlight weapons light and see how it feels on the G17.  If I like it, I need a weapons light compatible holster, and I'm also considering adding a light-equipped fore end to the Mossberg 590.  If I decide to get another long arm anytime soon, it will possibly be a Benelli tactical shotgun, model to be determined.  I may also look into a more modern light to replace the SureFire M951 I currently have mounted to the AR.  I used on of those on both my M4 and M249 back in the day, but it's a 20+ year old design and far more compact, light, and brighter lights are now available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Once you get the shoulder holster, let me know what you think.  I have been on the fence about getting one but just never went through with it.  I just want a good one that is easy and comfortable.

I'll let you know, hopefully it gets here before I head back to the flipper house this weekend.  I ordered a vertical holster, the N-Frame Smith and Wesson will probably ride better in that, but if I like shoulder carry I may get a horizontal rig for one of the semi autos or the Taurus 856.  I still want to replace my .357 as well, and the K-Frame Model 19 might be conducive to horizontal carry, though my long gone revolver was a great belt carry gun.  I'm also debating getting an ankle holster for the J-Frame Taurus (or a future S&W purchase) and/or one of the subcompact semiautomatics.

I bought a Magpul Picatinny rail for the AR to mount the SureFire to and subsequently ordered some "airsoft" aluminum rails for the M-LOK in case I want to mount my Harris bipod or other accessories.  

It's nice living in a friendly enough state (for now) to be able to own what I want, and nicer to know I'll be moving to a state where guns rights will likely not be restricted in my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

The shoulder holster arrived a few days ago.  The strap retainers were nowhere to be found, so after I adjusted it I taped up the excess until I receive the retainers from Galco.  A quick email resulted in a fast response from the company and I am more than satisfied with the customer service, but then again we are talking about a $200+ holster.

The Model 29 Classic draws smoothly from the shoulder rig, and is easily covered by a lightweight button up 2x shirt.  I have to be wary of it printing, but in the winter I should have no problem carrying the .44 under a heavy jacket.  It is much more accessible than a belt holster when driving, and I may look into Miami Classic or more VHS holsters for some of my semi automatics and smaller revolvers.

I disassembled the Mossberg for the first time in well over a decade, and the 25 year old Side Saddle shell carrier had the forward threads strip after I removed the rear bolt.  I can probably get another base plate, otherwise I may replace the entire carrier.  I did note the reason my 590 has a metal trigger guard...it's actually a 590A1 and the prominent marking was hidden by the Side Saddle that wasn't removed for so long.

• 3 months later...

No new guns, but I have plans to build a 25-meter rimfire range in the backyard.  My neighbor shoots occasionally but his backstop also served as fill dirt and needs refreshing.  He fires from his pool deck to angle down into the drainage ditch behind our houses.  I did my fair share of plinking when I lived here before, even occasionally breaking out a centerfire rifle, but want to put some steel targets out there.  Right now plans are:

1. Check state code and parish ordinances to ensure I'm not violating anything.  Truth be told, I'll still shoot on occasion if I want or need to (venomous snake, etc.).  Here in semi-rural Louisiana a day without gunshots is weird.  It's like the city, only you know instead of someone being murdered it's probably some redneck out shooting bottles or poaching alligators.

2. Get adequate dirt to build a berm at least 5' high and a few feet thick.  I'll check to see if there are any requirements or recommendations for actual size and design (u-shape, etc.).

3. Clearly mark left and right boundaries.  Probably not needed, but 21 years in the Army has indoctrinated me.

4. Buy more steel rimfire targets.  Build small platforms for more fun things like 2 liter bottles and 12 ounce cans.

5. Build a firing stand/table so I have a stable sitting position and place to put weapons and ammunition.  Standing, kneeling, and prone are easy enough.

6. Start investing in 2-3 suppressed .22 rifles and pistols.  I'm thinking an AR platform, along with maybe Ruger and  Walther pistols.  It's been years ago, but suppressed P22 kits used to sell for $500 or so.

Right now this is just an idea.  I plan to join a range to fire the fun stuff, but having the ability to step outside at any time and get some sort of trigger time is better than nothing.  As for the suppressors, I figure they will help keep the neighbors happy.  A .22LR isn't too loud, but if my daughter and I want to shoot a few hundred rounds every weekend I can see it getting old quick.  I'll keep the forums updated, back to the garage and nice rainy day.

• 3 months later...

Added a couple more over the weekend: a used Ruger PC Carbine and a new Ruger Security 9.  I've heard mixed things about the pistol, but it will likely be my car gun as opposed to a daily carry piece.  

I've wanted a PC Carbine for years, and my store had one with a Bushnell red dot optic on it I've been placing on display every time I open.  I pulled the box a few days ago and found the muzzle nut, two new in package spare mags, and the paperwork for everything.  MSRP is $759, the mags and muzzle brake are roughly $40 each, and the optic goes for $60 online, so for about $550 out the door I feel like I got a deal.  I picked up the pistol for mag compatibility but after paperwork was started found that the Security 9 mags work in the Carbine while the SR9 mags included with the Carbine lack the cutout to lock into the Security 9.  It's an easy fix if I want to modify them, but with three 15 round mags for the pistol and three 17 round mags for the Carbine I probably won't break out the Dremel.  Besides, the Glock mag well is likely going into the Carbine anyway, since I have the 33 round mag for my G17 and a few of the 17 round ones, with plans to buy a G45, which will add three more mags.

The job is going well, and I get to handle every new gun we get.  No shooting or anything else fun, but I acquire the guns in our firearms system, receive orders in another system to notify customers their firearms have arrived, and once sold dispose of the guns and file the paperwork.  We have tens of thousands of ATF forms on hand, and occasionally I have to dig through them to fulfill a trace request for a gun used in a crime.

1 hour ago, Eric - TIA said:

Sounds like a great deal to me.  I haven't picked up anything or gone shooting in a while so i am not going to lie, I am jealous.  

Well, I found out Saturday morning that the VA rated me at 90%, so a gun or two a month is in the unofficial budget.  I want to get the Glock 45; it really doesn't do anything my 17 won't do, besides maybe conceal a slight bit better, but the three additional 17 round mags can be used for either when I carry them.

I'm planning to buy an FN 509 at some point, Springfield Hellcat, and a SIG Sauer or two--probably a P365 and a P320 M18.  Also, we got the new S&W Equalizer in, so one of those or an M&P is on the list also.  As I tell customers semi-jokingly, I feel the need to own one of each to provide better customer service.

Speaking of which, a couple of the younger guys are not fans of Ruger pistols.  Despite buying my two carry guns less than a year ago, though, I usually recommend them and a majority of the time the customer makes the buy.  The EC9s (9mm sub-compact) and LCP Max (.380 I keep as a backup/pocket pistol) are excellent for the price.  The new Security-9 was $369 or so prior to discount and feels good in the hand, so if it proves reliable it's going on the "recommend" list as well.

14 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Sounds like you  have some nice things planed for the one or two a month. I still don't own a Glock but when I do get my next one, it's going to be a Glock.

Glocks are decent service pistols with a reputation that varies depending on who you talk to.  A lot of law enforcement agencies carry them because they're reliable, simple to operate, and above all else, won't break the bank.  The 19X lost to the SIG P320 to become the Army's next service pistol, but they simply removed the Army mandated safety and released the gun on the Civilian market to decent reviews and sales.  Of course, you have the ubiquitous thug life appeal of them, and people like me who hated the ergonomics and overall feel until I bought my G17.  I'm more tolerant about different pistols now than I was 10 years ago.  Finally, on the subject of Glock opinions, their slogan of "Glock Perfection" is kind of a meme.  The aftermarket parts market is probably larger than it is for any other pistol besides the M1911, and a lot of Glock lovers spend under $600 on the "perfect" gun only to put another $1000 in parts and optics on it.

I found out yesterday that the VA raised my rating to 100% Permanent and Total.  Big increase in compensation, other benefits, and a much lesser chance of being reevaluated and having my rating lowered.  Sucks in a lot of ways, but everything over the past 20+ years has added up to this point. 

• Like 1

I tried our online ordering system last night.  Ordered a shotgun and a .22 rifle, both of which I knew we have, but the latter of which was ordered Store to Store.

I picked up the shotgun earlier, and made an impulse buy of a Canik handgun.  The Canik is nice enough so far, but I'll have to wait until next week to put it through it's paces.

Picked up my Chiappa Little Badger today, and went ahead and bought the scoped green version of the same rifle.  They seem like excellent survival/backpack guns.  While they are single shot they are much smaller and lighter than my Marlin Papoose and less awkward than my Henry US Survival (AR-7).

Going forward I guess I'll have to show a little discipline.  It's easy coming into work, seeing something, and just buying it, but there are a lot of home projects to work on.  I still plan to fill out the collection a bit, though, in the name of customer service.  The SIG Sauer P365 and Springfield Hellcat are on the list since they're big sellers.  Due to pricing I might add a Taurus G2 or G3 and a Stoeger 9mm, as well as eventually a Henry lever action or two.  

22 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

I have never heard of Canik but just took a look.  They look very cool.  Let me know what you think.

I've heard great things about them and plan to accessorize mine as a competition pistol.  Mine is the TP9SFx, which is designed for target shooting, so a red dot optic is going on it soon, and I might add a light to make it a bedside gun if it proves reliable and accurate.  

I used to swear by Federal 9BP "Hi-Shok" ammo but due to availability I've been feeding my 9mms with Winchester 115-grain Silvertips.  A quick search shows that I can get a case of 9BPs for a little over $500, so I may order some in the next month or two.