Pulled the Trigger... (New Firearms Thread)

fm2176

20 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

The SCCY CPX-2 looks like a nice handgun.  Always like the black body with the silver upper.  That S&W Bodyguard looks like a nice one also.  Might have to check those out.

It seems well made and tolerances aren't bad, but most reviewers consider it to be what it is...a budget gun.  Speaking of which, the Exchange also had a Hi-Point for $180.  The Hi-Point is often considered "junk", but in my opinion it provides low-income persons with a viable means of self-defense, much like Jennings, Jimenez Arms, and other low price/low quality guns.  I wouldn't choose a Hi-Point for concealed carry, but if it was all I could afford for a bedside gun I'd choose it over a bat.  Worst case scenario, it's a solid projectile to throw at someone.

I actually had a Hi-Point once, unbeknownst to me at the time.  A coworker at the Caddy dealership had a .40 S&W Iberia he offered me for $100.  I bought it but never carried it with a round chambered.  No idea how many rounds may or may not have gone through it (I fired a mag or two while I had it), but the gun was extremely loose, with an exposed trigger bar that seemed unsafe.  My memories may be a bit blurred, but at the time I already owned my Beretta and knew that the Iberia was not a pistol to carry for personal defense.  IIRC, I gave or traded it to a friend.  It wasn't until fairly recently that I looked up the model and saw that it is made by Hi-Point.

SCCY and similar companies (I'm really out of touch with modern budget manufacturers, and just found out that even Century Arms is in the game now with Canik) are a vast step up from Hi-Point and their ilk, IMHO.  I doubt we'll see these brands competing for military or law enforcement contracts, but I have no doubt that some regularly train with and carry these with full trust that they'll perform if needed.  

On 12/20/2021 at 10:51 AM, Eric - TIA said:

What do you think of the Polymer80 - P80?

The 80% gun companies are legal under current law and from what I've heard, most offer quality products.  I had to look up P80, but I think I've been on their website before.  I like the concept--80% finished gun frames/receivers that require a slight bit of craftsmanship to complete--but I'm wary of how long these will be legal, and what might happen to those who buy such kits if and when they are declared illegal.

I had the (mis)fortune of turning 18 under President Clinton, when the Assault Weapons Ban was in full swing, and as I shared in my yet-to-be continued Crime and Criminals thread, I feel like I was made an example of due to the type of firearms I owned at the time.  Those who are old enough to remember the '90s remember the stories of ATF raids on gun owners, and nearly everyone has heard of both the Waco Siege and Ruby Ridge, which were both based on firearms charges.  Needless to say, I'm a bit distrustful of federal agencies and I don't want to give them an excuse reason to investigate me for something I legally own.  Heck, I live fairly close to the FBI Academy nowadays, so I'm doubling down on not owning anything that would raise eyebrows in all of the Alphabet Headquarters an hour north of me.  😇

The media and anti-gun activists already have a term for P80 and similar companies' products: "ghost guns".  Like bump stocks, pistol braces, and the "assault weapons" that were banned from 1994-2004, these things are vilified as making communities unsafe and turning otherwise law-abiding citizens into dangerous criminals who are plotting to overthrow democracy as we know it.  Or something like that...

Again, I like the concept.  I doubt I'd buy one of these anytime soon, though, primarily due to my cynicism and the possibility that any of us could become a felon overnight if certain legislation is passed.  Heck, if I lived in certain states, I'd face well over a hundred charges for possessing "high capacity magazines" right now.

So, I'm currently looking for a good place to do some regular shooting.  It kind of sucks not knowing anyone around here anymore, as until a few years ago I had a few choices of private land to shoot on within a couple of hours.  As I told my wife, if I decide to pursue a law enforcement career I feel a need to train vigorously.  Heck, regardless, I want to train with my carry pieces, especially weak hand with a backup gun (BUG) such as one of the Kel-Tecs, the Taurus .38, or the new SCCY.  I hope to never have to resort to deadly force as a civilian, cop, or even during my remaining military service, but I guess I'll have fun in the meantime.  

Additionally, my son and his girlfriend will be old enough to get concealed carry permits in the coming months.  I've already discussed gifting a couple of my pistols to them, but want to impart some knowledge gained from years of experience carrying.  For example, how camouflage complements concealment...e.g. my Kel-Tec P32 with pocket clip looking like a knife so long as it is in a good holster that prevents printing.  Also, carry something good enough for the budget and always have a reload or two, especially for semiautomatic pistols (my experience is that a failure to feed is the most common failure in detachable magazine fed weapons).

The G17 has truly grown on me, and while I haven't carried it in a few days, the Glock Combat Holster (very little retention if open carrying, but an inexpensive and quality holster nonetheless) has stayed on my belt.  I'm really liking the thought of adding a G26 and maybe a G19 to the collection, enabling me to adapt my carry piece to the weather and my wardrobe without requiring too many different holsters.  The double magazine carrier I bought for the G17 could be kept on my belt, and I'd have the choice of swapping out mags (or not, if I have the G17 mags while carrying a G26).

In the end, those of us here who enjoy shooting or who believe in having the proper tools for self-defense will mostly differ in preferences and opinions.  I went from a lifetime Glockaphobe to actually liking my new Glock 17 enough to consider getting its baby siblings.  Heck, I was also eyeing some of the Slimline Glocks last week.  I'll continue updating this thread with my new purchases as they're made.  As stated previously, if I'm buying from a licensed dealer, especially on a military installation, the proper authorities already know what I'm buying.  Funny enough, out of the four handguns I've bought since September, I've been put in a "delay" status for three of them.  Just like old times, but now the system's automated, so I only wait for 45 minutes instead of three hours.  🔫

Yes, having private land to shoot is nice.  I use to be able to shoot at my buddy's place until he moved.  Being around Chicago, we only have public places which are always filled up, so I miss the day of going to my buddy's house to shoot.  I love shooting and practicing and wish I could practice more, especial with my conceal.

I was able to visit Moab with Wheel tools and we built a P80, which I have and like.  Would like to shoot more with it but finding the time is hard.  I am the same way you were with having Glockaphobe and need to get over it.

• Like 1

I recently found this channel and have enjoyed their content so far.  The video below reinforces some of my long held beliefs about self defense firearms.  The KISS principle applies, IMHO, but I'll modify the acronym to Keep It Simply (Mostly) Stock.  These attorneys differentiate between function enhancing and cosmetic modifications to carry or home defense guns.  I agree, modifying a firearm to increase its functionality for you (the individual) is one thing.  Adding extraneous things to make a firearm "cool" can be used as a weapon against you in court.  

As a new Glock owner, I recall reading about the "New York trigger" in the late '90s, which the NYPD adopted to increase the trigger pull weight from 5.5 lbs to 8 lbs.  This decreases the chance of negligent discharges, though it probably goes against what most private citizens would want.  On the flip side, modifying the trigger pull weight to 3 pounds might be considered "dangerous" and a prosecutor might successfully argue this in court.  Another matter is slogans being printed on a gun.  Much like posting signs (i.e. "No trespassing.  Violators will be shot, survivors will be shot again"), this could open up a prosecutorial argument that someone who used deadly force had been looking for a reason to do so.

As always my posts are nowhere near legal advice, but a column by Massad Ayoob from one of the gun magazines I picked up in the mid-'90s has always stuck out.  He shared his experience when called as an expert witness in a self-defense case, where a homeowner used deadly force during a burglary.  The homeowner had a Beretta 92 equipped with a laser sight, flashlight, and extended magazine (thank the Beretta 93R for larger capacity factory mags, much like Glock owners can thank the Glock 18), and from what I recall this was used against him in court, ending with him being convicted of manslaughter.

For this reason, my Mossberg 590 with bayonet lug, 8+1 capacity, Side Saddle, and Speed feed stock sits in the closet, with the plain Jane police surplus Winchester 1200 Riot serving as the home defense scattergun.  

4 hours ago, regopit said:

Today I fell into a deal I could not pass up. A Scar heavy in 308 and a PSA AR-1o in 6.5 CREEDMOOR and a Wilson combat 45

I'm sure that still wasn't a cheap purchase though. I would like to get a Scar but the prices are just crazy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DR99 said:

I'm sure that still wasn't a cheap purchase though. I would like to get a Scar but the prices are just crazy.

It wasn't to bad. Back in the late 70's I shot high power rife competition. I had 2 FN30-11 sniper in 308 Karl Kaps scope, and the Anschutz target sight. I made a straight up trade one of the 30-11's for the Scar.

• Like 2

I finally found a seemingly decent holster for the G17, and just received one for the Taurus revolver today.  The Glock holster is locally made by Southern Custom Tactical and is a kydex inside-the-waistband (IWB) style while the Taurus holster is a leather belt slide style made in the US by Outbags.  I've been using the Glock Combat Holster quite a bit, mostly for concealed carry, though I will open carry at the flipper house.  I've been using a TEGE brand (made in China) dual magazine carrier for the Glock, which was inexpensive but seems to be fairly well made and is adjustable.  It is a bit bulky but conceals well under a vest, jacket, or heavy shirt.

Whenever I replace the S&W Model 19 I hope to locate my old holsters.  The favorite was a paddle-style that I could keep in the truck while working but could conceal in uniform if needed (this was during my days as a Recruiter).  I also have/had a pancake style holster for it that worked well along with a leather police surplus speed loader pouch.  After buying the Model 29 and the Taurus I got a cheap nylon speed loader pouch but have yet to use it, opting instead to keep the couple of reloads in a jacket pocket.

As I renew my dedication to daily carry and look to optimize both my carry options and my gun handling abilities, I need to locate the rest of my old carry holsters and such.  Being left-handed usually means a big lack of holster options in stock, but some 12-20 years ago I was able to get some bargains on quality holsters for my Beretta 92F, Para Ordnance, and of course the Model 19.  Law enforcement supply stores usually had a few left-handed holsters in the clearance bin, especially for those handguns that were falling out of common use on the pistol belts of law enforcement officers.  Basically, if it wasn't a Glock or a SIG I could probably find a good belt holster for it at the time for pennies on the dollar.

Finally, for now, I may look into other carry options, particularly for the revolvers and pocket pistols (e.g. Kel-Tec P32 and Beretta Tomcat, along with a possible .380 in the near future).  I've almost always carried strong side on the hip, with the exception of using a thigh holster in the woods on occasion, but the little Taurus or especially a .32 would carry well in an ankle rig, while the Model 29 almost begs for a shoulder and/or chest rig.  I like the thought of having a variety of holster options, as how I carry in an urbanized area will almost always differ from how I carry on my property, in the woods, or while working.  

My renewed carry permit should be here in a week or two, and I'm almost due for another gun...if I can afford one this month.  I've been compaaring the G19X to the standard G19 Gen5 but may end up going for another pocket pistol or a Baby Glock instead.  Also, I've never owned a SIG Sauer or HK pistol so those are on the list to eventually research and consider adding to the collection.  

• Like 1

No new handgun (yet), but I did look at some yesterday.  The Glock 19X caught my eye recently; I've been so out of the the gun knowledge circle I didn't even realize it competed against the SIG P320 to replace the venerable M9.  My 92F will always have a place on the rack and on my person, but I'm liking the simplicity and time proven performance of Glock.  Also, the "point and click" nature of them, with nearly identical function and characteristics regardless of caliber or size.

Anyway, the G19X is essentially a Gen 4 model with a few Gen 5 features.  It's Coyote brown in color, which is perfect for the modern military veteran.  Most of us seem to like emulating our uniforms and equipment.  Me?  Not so much.  So, I found out about the law enforcement equivalent--the G45.  Similar to the G19X but a true Gen 5, lacking the 17+2 round mags, but in a traditional black finish.  I think I'm sold.  When I get one it will fit the G17 holsters and the mags will be interchangeable (Gen 5 mags won't fit Gen 4 pistols like the 19X), giving me the option of six 17-round mags if I want to carry them (doubtful, unless I'm carrying for a job).  

I mentioned the G45 to a coworker and he mentioned that his wife's G19 MOS is for sale, so there may be both a second and third Glock in the house soon.  He also mentioned having access to a range.  I guess he shoots competitively and is sponsored by them.

Quantico sells the G26 Gen 5 for $469, a bit lower than elsewhere.  When I get back to Richmond I'm going to check Blue pricing at the police supply store I used to frequent.  First responders and military can save $100 or so buying through that program.

I did spot a Taurus Model 85 Air weight for $299.  My first handgun was the Model 85 (steel frame) and this would be a nice carry option, but I have the steel 856 now.  I did grab a couple of speed strips for it to complement the two speed loaders, so now have four reloads if needed.

At some point I need to get some good self defense ammo.  The Federal 9BP Hi-Shok round was my preferred carry cartridge in the '90s and has a very good reputation for accuracy and reliability.  I found 1000 rounds for under $600 but am going to shop around a bit.  The ball ammo I have for my semiautomatic pistols and the semi-wadcutters for the revolvers has worked for well over a century, but the point of carrying is to protect myself, loved ones, and perhaps innocent victims.  Well, the true point is to avoid situations and never have to even think about drawing a firearm or resorting to violence, but in this day and age we never know what may happen.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:51 AM, Eric - TIA said:

I am a huge gun fan but don't know that much about them.  Never grew up with them and just haven't taken much time to learn about all the different versions around.  I always pick up some knowledge from your post, thanks.

I didn't grow up around them either.  Never went shooting as a kid and didn't get my first gun, a Remington Sportsman 48 with 28' barrel and Poly-Choke, until I turned 18.  

The fun that comes along with shooting really got me interested years ago, the history of the surplus firearms I started buying in the '90s fueled the flames, and the practicality of gaining further knowledge and training kept me going and recently rekindled my interest.  

• Like 1

It would be great if there were more places to shoot.  Twenty years ago I had a couple of options.  My best friend lived and worked on a dairy farm with plenty of land to shoot on and my brother's best friend's family owned another (out of use) farm.  Both offered great shooting areas out to a few hundred meters for rifles, but nowadays I'd feel much better with a good backstop to avoid any possibility of a round hitting something I don't intend to.

Whenever I'm able to hang up the uniform, I may be able to shoot in my backyard again.  I only have an acre, but the drainage ditch behind my property makes a good backstop for pistol and shotgun shooting, and ten years ago the neighbors had no issue with me shooting occasionally.  We'll see, if I do decide to go into law enforcement I'll have access to the department or agency range, but having the ability to shoot on my own property is nice.  

• Like 1

It's nice being able to do what I want on my property.  When I first moved to Louisiana as a Recruiter, I used a VA loan to buy my house.  My criteria were simple: no HOA and preferably outside of the city.  My Realtor kept trying to entice me with newly built 1200-1600 square foot houses in developed communities, with the requisite HOA.  I kept looking, found a 2000 square foot house with two built-in garages (a double and a single, so I have as much as 2600 sq. ft. if I convert them to living spaces), and signed the paperwork.  The house is over forty years old now; the prior owner bought it from the builder who originally planned to live there himself before a divorce changed his plans, so I need to do a little updating once I retire.  I might have a tool or two to help with renovations, and before the family decided to commit to moving with me I planned on just turning half of the house into a workshop.  It's not the fanciest or largest, but I have privacy in the backyard, it's on a dead end street with neighbors who watch out for each other's property, and though I'm nowhere near old yet, it's built on a slab with no more than a few inch step anywhere in the house if there are ever mobility issues (twenty years in the Infantry takes a toll).  It's the largest house on the street as the builder developed the entire neighborhood and started with the house he intended to move into.

Much like I always notice things in the house I currently rent in Northern Virginia that point to it being a rental property (self-adhesive tiles placed over previously installed ones, wood floors placed over linoleum, etc.) I find my house kind of speaks to its history.  It has a nice built-in desk, built in bookcase, and had premium (if older) appliances when I moved in, including a double wall oven and countertop cooking surface.  It also has linoleum flooring in the living room and had a mix of premium and budget light fixtures, adding to the story that the homebuilder was making it "his" but decided to simply finish it with the materials he had on hand when he decided to sell it instead.  It's a mix of circa 1980 nicety and cheesiness.  

Anyway, I'm rambling due to boredom.  The family has been sharing COVID-19 for the past two weeks, mice decided to move in during the power outage a few weeks ago (the dogs got two--the lab brings them to me while the mountain cur seems content to merely corner them until the lab or I take care of it like she did a possum a month or two ago [the possum wasn't harmed, I finally got her inside], funny how breeding leads to different temperaments--and no-kill traps have been effective, so we're almost in the clear), and teleworking is getting old but is still preferable to driving back and forth to work.  If (when?) I go into work this week I might have another addition to this thread.  The Glock 26 Gen 5 at Quantico is still tempting at $469, and if Fort Belvoir has a Glock 45 it may come home with me instead.  I like the G17 and find it easy enough to conceal inside the-waistband (IWB) or even outside-the-waistband (OWB) with a good outer garment, but the shorter slide of the G45 would be nice, and also provide three more 17-round magazines that work with either pistol.  In a couple of months I'm probably going on a Hawaiian shirt spree again.  I found years ago that a Hawaiian shirt coupled with shorts or pants a size or two up are nearly perfect for concealed carry.  The pattern on the shirt helps to camouflage printing and stepping up a size is conducive to IWB carry.  During these winter months, the Wrangler vest I picked up at Sam's Club has been great.  Coupled with a work shirt it covers the G17 and the vest pockets are perfect for carrying the Taurus .38 SPL, either in one of the hand pockets or the inside pocket.  Bundled up for the weather back in December, I was able to successfully conceal the G17, SCCY, and Taurus at one time, with a few reloads.  Admittedly, that was a bit excessive, but I wanted to test the concept of carrying multiple handguns as I always like having at least one backup.

On 11/16/2021 at 7:25 PM, fm2176 said:

Okay, I guess gun types don't frequent these forums.  :)

But...I bought a Glock 17 today.  It came with three 17 round magazines and the store was out of additional ones (I really wanted to have four mags with one in the chamber for 69 total), so I bought a 33 round mag and the Glock Combat Holster.  Now I just need to find more ammo.  Carried a .45, .38, and .32 this past weekend, and probably going with 9mm, .38, and .44 this weekend.

Hey Will. Sorry for the absence but life sometimes takes us on new adventures. Anyways just retired from sp as a Sgt and task force commander. Being newly retired with a 2 year old, a 5 year old and my Wife and not having a cruiser armory in my drive I now carry with credentials ( I never did before but due to unprecedented social and political events my Opinion and Attitude has changed) and my home is as well defended as it was when I had my cruiser at home.  I am not a gun nut and I do not get into politics but like most American Cops I fully support and encourage Citizens to own and TRAIN with firearms. Great topic starter! Also I am sure you know about Palmetto State Armory but if not check them out. Very pleased with their service.