Hard Cases? where are they?

akagai

• 5 weeks later...

It seems like most of their tools are going to bags now.  Getting harder to find the hard cases.  I guess it makes the kits a bit less expensive?  It does come with an interesting little bag for some type of use, but I would not want to put my max drills in them and still have a bunch of room to put other junk in and mess up the kit!  if it had seperated compartments for each piece then maybe. A small hard case for this kit would have been sweet, just for the two drill kit and a light...seems like a good idea.

It seems like most of their tools are going to bags now.  Getting harder to find the hard cases.  I guess it makes the kits a bit less expensive?  It does come with an interesting little bag for some type of use, but I would not want to put my max drills in them and still have a bunch of room to put other junk in and mess up the kit!  if it had seperated compartments for each piece then maybe. A small hard case for this kit would have been sweet, just for the two drill kit and a light...seems like a good idea.

Hard cases do offer better protection, but offers little room inside VS a bag, for a DeWalt bit set kit, 3rd battery, Flashlight etc. would hardly call those just mentioned "junk" and mess up the kit!

• 4 months later...

I would gladly pay a few bucks more for the option of having a hard case.  I like the protection hard cases offer, along with the fact they they are easier to stack.  It would be nice if they had a case molded for the 12v Max stuff with extra room for stuff like the 3rd batter that Lowe's offered for free upon kit purchase for a while.  That and perhaps a little detachable bit case or something.  I mean the bag is alright, but I'm just a hard case (guy).

• 2 weeks later...

You can find it here.

I've just had a stack of Toughsystem cases coming in last friday. Gonna move all the powertools to these boxes. The extra space I can use to add accessories. Most accessories I have stored seperately which is not the best solution cause often I have to walk up and down to get that one accessory. No more.

content

I've seen some of the new XR tools that come in a DS150 case with a hardplastic molded tray to keep the tools, but some others just have foam. Wonder which direction DeWALT will go with these inserts.

Seriously, how did you get those?!?!?  Those stacks are better looking than some of the ones at the pool.

You must visit the wrong pools then ;D

I'm in Europe and these launched together with the new 18v XR line of tools on July 1st.

They are hollow inside but each one comes with it's own accessory.

The small one (DS150) can be used as an organizer, like in the picture, but it's loaded with those removable boxes. Also the holder inside the lid can be removed (2 screws)

DS150_1.jpg

The middle one (DS300) comes with a tool tray:

ds300_1.jpg

The big one (DS400) has a removable tool holder for screwdrivers and chisels.

dewalt-toughsystem-ds400-organiser-tool-box-1-70-323_store.jpg

Okay I was back in Home Depot today looking at some lighting for my garage.  I walked along the front of the store on my way to exit and stumbled upon a display that I obviously missed when I have been in there past week or so.  It was an end cap and featured not only a good portion of the new hand tools, but also a couple of tool boxes as well.  one box in particular seemed like it was exactly what I was looking for.

In this first pic you can see the box has a compartment that separates from the bottom.  Upon opening it I noticed that it appeared to have sufficient room to hold my 18v dc925 that's currently in a bag, and my older 18v dc988 that I just put a new transmission in today.  I took the box to the tools and began inserting the display models inside to see if they would fit, and they fit perfectly.  Great!  Pencil me in for two of these babies!

dd81b669.jpg

As you can see below, things changed once I got home.  The newer drills obviously are not as long as my older drills.  The 988 I have fit, but it was a bit too snug and caused difficulty latching the box on the side I had it sitting.  The 925 I have was a no go no matter which way I put it.  After that I went and got my 12v max stuff and pulled it out of the bag, lo and behold they were the perfect fit for the top portion.  My impact is obviously on the left with the 3rd battery, the drill/driver on the right.  In the center I had to sit the charger on it's edge lengthwise and kind of wrap the cord around it for it to fit properly.  I suppose I could have removed the two little compartment separator thingies but I felt this way would keep things a bit more in place.  There's a compartment above the drills/charger that has the capacity to hold a lot of bits and tips, but I only put in a few my most used tips to avoid fishing for what I need.  I'm very happy with how this turned out.

561ed763.jpg

For the bottom, you can see how I had to place everything to fit it and still get the top portion back on.  This works just fine for me.  I have always had a bit of a desire to have all of my DeWalt drills in one case and this does the trick nicely.  The 988 is on the left, 925 on the right....charger and aux handle in the center.  Both drills fit very well without the batteries attached, and there's a little wiggle room around both of them.  The top compartment fits on without hitting anything on the bottom either.

e9409e81.jpg

I bought two of these boxes at just about 25 bucks a piece.  In the process, I eliminated three of those silly bags that I really dislike for tools.  I'm happy as a lark!  Now what to do with the old bags?!?!

I'm not sure what I'll do with the other box yet.  I still have a DeWalt recip in a bag, along with both corded and cordless grinders that are all in bags.  I'll see what I can figure out with those this evening and post pics if I can get that stuff to fit in one box.

Yeah, the price was spot on I thought, which is quite surprising considering every now and then some of the DeWalt stuff is high.

There was a smaller one there that I'm considering getting once my new 535 worm drive comes next week, unless it comes in a case which....I'm doubting it either comes with a bag or nothing.

Yeah, the price was spot on I thought, which is quite surprising considering every now and then some of the DeWalt stuff is high.

There was a smaller one there that I'm considering getting once my new 535 worm drive comes next week, unless it comes in a case which....I'm doubting it either comes with a bag or nothing.

No case or bag with the warm drive.  FYI

Archived