Dewalts Mechanics tool set

Skylar87

I have it in my head that Dewalt are one of the leading manufactures/companies for the powertool industry,I guess I've never really thought about them when looking for hand tools..
I'ld be happy to see a review if anyone takes the plunge...After all,One can not have to many Dewalt tools..

Yep I thought the samething I have been thinking about maybe doing one. I just wont to see what other people thought about them before i did one. I love mine. It come with what you wont in a tool set not what you need more of!

If you can find a good deal on the Dewalts which has happened every so often they are not bad mechanics tools at that price at all. This is the set I ended up getting. It was an after Christmas clearance deal for this Husky Mechanics tool set in my local store. For 50 dollars how was it going to go wrong?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-264-Piece-H264MTSN/203203978

• 1 month later...

I have the 204 piece Dewalt Mechanic's Set and it's a really quality set.  I did a written review on sears.com  It's the only set I have seen that has all 6 points and a full line of deep well sockets.  Here the review:

I decided to upgrade my tools with the Dewalt 204-Piece Mechanics Tool Set. It comes with a sturdy plastic tool case that has a place for each piece in the set, and includes an assortment of wrenches, ratchets, sockets, extensions, nut drivers and hex wrenches. Since receiving the tools, I?ve had the chance to try them out on several auto and home projects. There are a lot of things to like about this set, along with a few disappointments, which are described below:

The Good: Extensive assortment of sockets, which are all 6-points and have easy-to-read etching. Both shallow and deep well sockets are included in 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 inch sizes. The ratchets are very beefy and have 72 clicks per revolution, which are great for tight spaces. There are 3 extensions for each size, along with universal joints and includes all three spark plug sockets. The plastic box has a place for every piece that snaps into place.

The Bad: The set is very heavy and the large rectangular case is not convenient for storing in a truck tool box. The plastic box also has no room for storing other tools such as screwdriver, pliers, additional wrenches, etc., which are necessary for a functional mobile tool box. The wrenches are incomplete and missing several key sizes, such as 12mm and 5/16 inch.

Overall, I really like the Dewalt 204-Piece Mechanics Tool Set and recommend it for anyone looking to upgrade their tools. Best suited for garage use because the box is bulky and has no room for carrying additional tools.

trogo pretty much hit it on the head with his review. The sockets offer a good selection 7/16-1", 13-24 MM{no 20,23) in deep and standard 1/2" drive , 1/4 -7/8", 10-21MM (no 20) deep and standard 3/8" drive 5/32-9/16", 4-14MM deep and standard in 1/4" drive. All 3 ratchets are similar in design, but vary in size,. button release for socket retention, a lever for direction change, an oversize oval cross section with some texture on the sides of the handle about an inch wide on the 1/2" drive and 5/8" on the 1/4" drive. The finish is a high polish chrome. There is some knurling at the base of the sockets, not very deep or wide and about a 1/2 to 1" wide stripe (again not very deep) on the extensions. Overall I  would say the socket portion of the kit would meet most people's expectations of a good tool box. It also comes with some Allen and Torx drive sockets as well as some standard L shaped Allen wrenches.

On to the part that I found wanting, the set comes with an 11/32, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 and 5/8 combination wrenches, On the metric side it came with 10, 11, no 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 MM. That is it on both of them. I would have preferred the wrenches go from 1/4 to 1", at least they should have gone to 3/4, and the inclusion of 11/32 instead of 5/16 is baffling. On the metric side They should have started at 8 and not left out the 12 (which is one of the most popular size heads) and gone up to at least 19 but preferably 22MM.  

As for appearance and finish I would compare them to Snap-on. I haven't used them long enough to tell you whether the chrome plating will hold up like Snap-on's. In general I find there are two thinkings in tools, really smooth, polished and easier to clean up, and the rougher easier to grab texture when dirty or oily which takes a little longer to clean and degrease after the job is complete. These tools definitely fall into the first group like Snap-on or Mac would, in comparison Craftsman or SK would fall into the latter

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I got the 204 piece set when they were on sale. Excellent set. I bought the 118 piece set to gift, and bought the smaller 25 piece 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sets in smaller cases for easier carry. What little I have used them, they have performed very well. And the ratchet has held up to some 8 foot drops. Funny story I'll share in another thread.