Refurbished Tools

StayGold661

Hey all so I recently bought a rigid X4 impact  on amazon and it's refurbished so it's discounted. TotAl cost was about 120$. NOW I know it doesn't come with a lifetime warranty but the battery itself is 80 bucks on amazon so I figured it was a smart buy any thoughts or experiences with buying refurbs? 

Refurbished tools are not a bad deal if you get them at a good price, You real have to check prices to make sure you are getting a good deal. Home depot has the  The RIDGID 18-volt x4 Compact Drill and Impact Driver Combo with FREE Radio 2 Lithium-Ion batteries and a charger For $179.00

• Like 1

I've bought several refurbished tools without any issues whatsoever whereas I have bought new tools with issues! Just make sure you are getting manufacturer refurbished tools or authorized repairers and most of them come with a one year warranty! Regopit is right on too, you can fine great deals but cross check those deals through CPO, or Big Sky Tools or other respectable sales sites. Sometimes you will see large changes in prices. Punda mentioned CPO and I buy most of refurbished tools through them or Big Sky, i would also trust HD as they are the authorized dealer and have appropriate service centers. I have bought my Honda (American made) lawn mower, two Echo weed walkers and an awesome Grill through HD and they were all certified. No problems and have had them for five years and they work awesome.

With a coupon, or a price match, I'm almost always able to buy what I want new at a decent discount. The savings on the refurbs have never really been substantial enough to entice me. I do like to save a buck, but I'm a contractor, so it's a business expense, anyway. With everything made in China nowadays, my prefered method is stalking older quality stuff that's up on Craigs cheap, just avoiding the beat looking stuff. 'Course, I'm talking corded tools, there.

Chris is right, that's the way to go fur sure if your on a buget or if your just a DIY guy, shit even if your in the trades and you can wait for it to ship out to you. Another place he mentioned was Home Depot but every once and a while the rental tools will go up for sale for a decent price usually

I never thought that the deal CPO had on Milwaukee tools ($20 off) was worth the thought of somebody else pawing at my tools before I got them... but then I'm a bit of a germophobe and a bit OCD...

Ironically there wasn't much price comparison I bought it on amazon but it was sold by CPO outlets haha I'm actually pretty anxious to get my hands on it from what I understand it's a brand new battery so at least if the tool kills over its only 50$ for the tool itself so it's not to bad of a loss of it goes south

We buy a lot of recon stuff from 3-4 brands and all from CPO.  If you are only going to use it once or twice, the go recon.  We will also give recon stuff out as gifts (also a good excuse to go buy new). 

We also have a cattle feedlot and I will only by those guys recon tools as they are hard on stuff and don't always remember to pickup stuff everyday so it gets rained on or left in the mud which I cant stand.

I've bought several Recon'd items and never had an issue. You still have to watch when buying cordless tools to make sure you're getting current generation batteries, but that's not as big an issue as it was a couple years ago as most manufacturers are well into their current platforms.

Had a problem with a Recon i bought from CPO. It was a milwaukee DryCut with a Retail of 650 + change. I guess the repair shop never took the time to find out what the problem was and just set it to CPO to sell. I got it with a striped worm gear on the vice. Took it in for warranty and got it back a month later with a brand new vice. 

I know they fixed it under warranty with no cost to me, but i'm still pissed that they didn't fix it right the first time and i ended up having to deal with the problem. 

I'm going to get my refurbished nailer tomorrow or Thursday and send an update and some photos when it comes in. This is the fifth toe I've bought from CPO. Conductor is dead on about batteries. Generally when you buy from CPO they send the older lithium so but I bought my M12 multi tool and it came with red lithium packs so..... The unit I bought is supposed to have the Ryobi black compact battery and is pictured as such but I'll send some pics regardless.

I think the plumbing related tools are Emerson.

Yes, Emerson actually owns the Ridgid brand and has since the mid 1960's. They manufacture most Ridgid items. The power tool line is made under license by TTI for HD.

Some of the Ridgid cordless plumbing power tools are not compatible with the TTI cordless tools sold at Home Depot. Ridgid has had slide packs on their 18v tools for a long time even their nicad tools were designed that way from the start. I don't see any company changing from their current platforms anytime soon. Just an FYI its never really economical to buy replacement batteries. It's fine if you need more because you need longer runtime I understand that, but its not worth it as a replacement on a bad pack. I haven't seen at any point where you were not that far off money from a new tool with batteries.

Don't tell them but I have bought a couple Makita batteries over the years just so I could return a bad one that didn't last very long and still looking almost new, so in that respect you get them both at 50%.  I just couldn't handle that some batteries last 5-6 years and some only 5-6 months it seemed.  Also Makita's battery warranty was pretty light at only a year compared the red and yellow stuff.

Most of my electronic items ( laptops, digital camera, wireless router and else) are refurbished/reconditioned items. I hate paying for full retail price for stuff. I always get good deals and luck finding refurbished or display model in walmart. I way rather prefer buying refurbished then used tho and I haven't had any problem for the past (knock on wood:)

I bought a couple recond. tools from cpo. No problem and still working strong. Only thing is I found they aren't too much of a price drop compare with buying brand new from my local stores. Besides they are running special like 20% off. But sometime I still find better price on clearance or closed out deal here at the store.

Beware on buying used or refurbished tools on ebay. Make sure it is factory or authorized refurbished, Not seller refurbished. It can void your warranty.

Also one more thing. Be sure to get your Rigid tools and batteries registered to claim your life warranty in the future. I heard friends were having hard time on dealing with their bad battery exchange with out proper register.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...