DREMEL 3D Printer !!

EEtwidget

Just saw this posted and I wanted to share. DREMEL has just released a $999 3D printer - " Dremel 3D Idea Builder " and is being sold by Home Depot. An in-depth review would be a cool TIA segment. Lets get TIA a 3D printer, really just because I want to play with it, :)

post-28428-0-47320800-1410967229_thumb.j

http://3dprinter.dremel.com/

http://makezine.com/2014/09/17/dremel-3d-printer-idea-builder/

That's kinda weird. I would have never though Dremel would have a 3d printer I'm sure they are just slapping a Dremel label on another companies unit. A 3d printer is one of those things I would love to have and use the hell out of it for a few weeks and just end up collecting dust.

I've been in a work related seminar all week, and ironically in one of the "case study / scenarios" we acted out, someone was selling 3D printers.

Asking price.... $15,000....fake money, and fake scenarios...but this post helped a build a punch line that had a class of 25 corporate types rolling around on the floor. Thanks EEtwidget!!! ;D

The coolest 3d printers i have seen are the metal sintering ones. It's awesome that you could print out something that's actually metal and not plastic or some other resin. I saw a whole thing about the 3d printing tech Ford is developing and using. The auto industry is moving so much faster now cars and trucks have 8 speed transmissions in them now, and they are talking about adding even more gears!! Before it took 10-15 even 20 years to bring out a new transmission or new engine. It was really just reworked products most of the time. Look at the Ford E-series van it hardly ever changed from when the latest full redesign released back in like 92/91.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm with you DR99. A grand, plus supplies, for a toaster that makes plastic doorstops?  I don't think so. I'll save my money 'till They offer a reasonably priced 3D printer that will let me make metal parts.

Imagine; select and load the metal wire you want, program it in, and the operation adjusts the heat range and print speed to the wire you're using to make a copper, brass, aluminum, or even low carbon steel part. Granted it would be a much more serious shop tool but it could serve so many useful purposes.

But you could then make those unusual parts you want and can visualize or even draw but can't find at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Ace Hardware. It might even give rise to a whole new one-of-a-kind-parts cottage industry.

We may have to wait a few more years but, till then, melting plastic string to make purple colored doo-dads sounds too much like Playskool or Mattel. 

• Like 1

Humm. I guess you guys don't prototype. The 3d printer has it's uses, proving a design in plastic before milling metal can save more then the cost of the printer. Besides that, printing a form that can be casted = Metal part. I have even printed replacement parts for tools. It's a tool like any other, know how to use it... Have a use for it, and it's great. Try to hammer in a nail with slip jaw pliers, don't get mad at the tool for not performing.

Regardless, the low price of this printer reflects the advancement in tech. My 3d printer at work is over $30k, sure it's a lot better, he'll it can even print an AR Lower, I wouldn't fire a Dremel lower... Still, we are headed in the right direction.

To tell the truth, the "toaster printing plastic doorstops" thing is funny, but very ignorant. It's not the material that limits the design, it's the user. I can build amazing things with a 3D printer, it's sad you limit your creations to doorstops.

It don't matter if you are building a bird house or a family home or a bicycle wheel or a motorcycle, the industrial industry is either making things or repairing thing and since 1784 or thereabouts when James Watt came up with the steam engine we have advanced, you can thank Alan Pritsker around 1960 for simulation modeling, the beginning of kinda what this 3D printing is... is it for everyone? no but neither is a CNC router. Tools like this are not altogether new they are just being introduced to the general public......look at something we take for granted a computer or smart phone for example,......can you imagine the tooling it takes to make them but yet all we do is run down to the nearest retailer and demand a bigger better faster one .........this tool is not intended for altogether end results it is intended to produce items before the item you would use....hey maybe in 30 years we will be able to go to wal-mart and for $69 buy a T-675 alucorp producer and make our own toasters by a push of a button......at this point 90% of us would naturally think of this tool as a novelty buy it for a grand play with it for a few weeks, let everyone and their dog try it and then let it sit........but there are 10% out there that will make use of it no different than we make use of our impact driver each day or mitre saws........

3D printers are really amazing machines. Like EEtwidget and comp56 have said, they are not for everyone. Of course marketing will make everyone think they need and want one. If you are into designing and inventing then they are a good option. Even using them for building replacement parts. If you crack the case of a battery pack you can print a new one out and just replace the internal components. I had a cracked cover on a compressor that was discontinued. Luckily a buddy of mine has a 3d printer, and with a little time doing some modeling, I had a new functioning cover that cost pennies to print. Spools of plastic are cheap. Although the dremel spools are twice as much (they have to remake the money they are losing by selling this thing for only $999 compared to other companies). 

All in all the dremel model is an ok entry level model. I know staples is either already selling other models or is gonna start.

EE

I only mentioned the doorstop because - of all the ideas on the Dremel website for things to make with their 3D printer, the doorstop stood out as being the most useful and practical. If that makes me "ignorant" then I guess you're right.

I suppose you're also right about the prototype possibilities for small parts in a manufacturing situation. I was thinking more in the relatively low budget one man home shop situation. I could buy a jointer, a planer, plus a few quality hand tools for the price of the Dremel 3D printer that can only produce a plastic final product.