What drives me nuts about cordless circular saws

RobertMcNjr

Why are the motors on the right hand side? Most if not all the corded circular saw motors are on the left, it drives me nuts. Most people are right handed so they rest the motor on their material while following the cut line which makes the cut more natural and true and easier, but since the motor is on the right your having it float in the air causing your cut to sometimes have an angle to it. It just feels awkward and unnatural, at least for me.

I haven't bothered to call any of the companies, mine being Dewalt to ask if they can make one with the motor on the left hand side. If their is one out there I haven't seen it yet. I don't understand why they produced it this way.

Majority of the 6 1/2" cordless saws are blade left, not sure why.

I know the Makita 7 1/4" 18v X2 and the Milwaukee fuel 7 1/4" are both blade right (sidewinder style) like you prefer.

The nice thing about being right handed and using a blade left saw (worm drive style) is that it makes it a little easier to see your cut line, I prefer this way.. My thinking is that anything that might matter if I have a little nick on the end of my cut should probably be cut on a miter saw. Also with time you get the feel for keeping the saw square at the end of the cut but I understand your fustration..

All I'll buy is blade left. Been using the same Saw Boss since I can't remember when. Bought it because it did all I needed a circular saw to do in my field, was smaller to keep in the truck and a bit easier to wield for me up in attics, taking up floor boards. After that, it seemed crazy to me to look over the saw while cutting. Like anything, I suppose it's what you're used to.

Maybe it just me but, I really don't care what side the motor is on. I have them all Side winders 6 1/2, 7 1/4, worm drive they all cut the wood. The only thing I find now is I use my Milwaukee Fuel 7 1/4 cordless all the time. The main reason no cord no extension cord nothing to worry about just grab and cut.  

• Like 1

Never even thought twice about it. I'm sure the next time I pick up a saw, I'll be pissed. Lol.

I've even had corded, cordless and worm drive saws all out on the same job and never realized it. Now that I think about it.... Last week, I had track saw, 20v circ saw & corded circular saw all out and never even thought twice.

• 4 weeks later...

The reason is to have a motor between you and the spinning blade if something goes wrong on the corded models. Electric brakes used to be rare on circ saws. I was expensive to change the manufacturing process to switch it and people were used to the blade on the other side anyways.

Most (maybe all) battery powered circ saws have electric breaks. It's easier to see the cut line with the motor out if the way.

• 2 weeks later...