What's the latest tool you purchased?

Mr. Yellow

I couldn't find a topic like this and I see this subject turn up on a lot of forums. TIA should have it too!

Not sure where to post this as tools can be handtools, powertools or accessories...

If there is such a topic already, please discard this one :)

My latest purchase, is a hand sanding block from Mirka. Known For their amazing Deros orbital sander.

I have a carbide sanding block, but I don't like it that much. Due to the shape it frequently slips out of my hand. The Mirka seems a lot more ergonomic. Not cheap though, but hey, you can even attach it to a vac :D

Oh and it's yellow!!!

It's a 70x125mm sanding block with velcro backing. Also got me a couple of boxes of their Abranet sanding pads. It's not widely available but bought it at eBay from a guy in Germany. Just waiting for him to ship it.

$_57.JPG

I never heard of Mirka before until a while ago when I read about their new orbital sander. They seem to be a welknown brand in automotive... with pneumatic sanders and electrical sanders which require a power converter.

Now they have some models that no longer needs the convertor and have a brushless motor. It's their Deros line of sanders. I've got one on my wishlist. It's one supercool sander everybody is raving about.

Deros_machine_lager.jpg

Looks like this line of sanders will hit the States next month.... http://www.mirka.com/en-US/us/

Their hand blocks come in different sizes. I only got the small one though.

Festool comes out with a new one (or is it out already?) with a model that is similar to the Mirka.

All I know is that I will be buying a Mirka sometime next year. Unless DeWALT steps in.... (wishful thinking)

The DC units...well, they are smaller and lighter, but you have to drag a power convertor with it. Too much of a hassle I think.

Who makes the better sander Festool or Mirka?

I'm not sure DR, I've got a Rotex RO90 and ES125 sander. While I've been in the shop l, Samantha has been upstairs with my Midi and ES125 grinding through the big bedroom pine knotty boards. I've never used the Mirka but supposedly they are the best. My two Festools are hands down and ten yards ahead of that, the best I've ever used and the DC is unbeatable. I might try the Mirka out next time I go down to Woodcraft but I can't see buying another sander.

I never heard of Mirka before until a while ago when I read about their new orbital sander. They seem to be a welknown brand in automotive... with pneumatic sanders and electrical sanders which require a power converter.

Now they have some models that no longer needs the convertor and have a brushless motor. It's their Deros line of sanders. I've got one on my wishlist. It's one supercool sander everybody is raving about.

Deros_machine_lager.jpg

Looks like this line of sanders will hit the States next month.... http://www.mirka.com/en-US/us/

Their hand blocks come in different sizes. I only got the small one though.

are these strictly orbital or can these be locked to spin also?

Wow I'd like to respon intelligently to that but I guess it's like telling a drunk dude to stop peeing on the street. Sometimes you just have to let the dog wag his tail...;)

Just kidding. I happen to like my new yellow tools. They're kind of like a mentally challenged cousin. Sure he breaks a couple of things and picks his nose in public and then eats it....but he's family :D

• Like 1

The 3 big tools I would like from festool is the Kapex, TS55req tracksaw and one of their dust collectors. Their drills and drivers don't interest me as much not saying they are not great but I don't think their is a big of a bonus over other brands. Plus centrotec bits are not cheap

• Like 1