Wood Chisels

FrosBros82

• 1 month later...

I sharpen my chisels using water stones. 1200 and 6000 grit. There's plenty of information out there on the web and YouTube regarding sharpening techniques. Plate glass, adhesive spray and sand paper worked for me for several years.

Let me suggest a set of Stanley Sweetheart chisels. There's a smaller and larger set, as well as individual pieces. They're socket chisels, which allow the handle to be easily knocked loose to lighten the tool for sharpening. I struggled with low quality Ace Hardware and Stanley FatMax tang chisels for a long time. The tang style handle was heavy and awkward to sharpen for me.

• Like 2

I second Fazzman with his Marples Chisels suggestion. 

Here's an amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Marples-M444-SB6-6-Piece-Chisel/dp/B0000224EV

They were recommended by Finewoodworking and The Wood Whisperer as a good set of starter chisels.

Of course these are more geared to furniture and cabinet making tasks, and are probably not well suited for general construction.

i've used the stanley fatmax chisels for years and while they aren't bad, they aren't great either.. they really don't seem to hold an edge very well. 

i just started looking around at a new set also and and considering the stanley sweethearts.. a few others are on the list but the sweethearts are on the top so far.. if i end up buying something new ill let you know which way i go and what i think of them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Marples are they the go to chisel here in Ireland, I've been using them for the past 14 years for finish work. I've always one other chisel for rough work, currently the Stanley foldable one.

First off welcome to the forum Turner! Are the Marples made in the UK still or are they outsourced to China now?

First off welcome to the forum Turner! Are the Marples made in the UK still or are they outsourced to China now?

I'm not entirely sure where there made nowadays, I know both my sets are over 5 years old and both have the word Sheffield on them but can't remember if it just says Sheffield steel or made in Sheffield. I'll double check that tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...