Video Review Festool Ras115 and Dust deputy cyclone

NERemodeling

here is #2 guys.. tried to up my game a bit this time, i didn't actually do any editing just paused and restarted the video a few time while filming! haha   thats a big step for me :)

Most of the video is actually about a specific application of the tool but it does give a good idea of how the tool works, how well the dust collection works and how the dust deputy cyclone separator works. 

I built my own box for my dust deputy and if anyone is interested i will put together a post or video about how i made it. 

in the quick usage part of the video i will just say that the ras was obviously a lot faster and easier on the arms but also removed more material than scraping...   using the ras in this application is fast, it probably only took a little over an hour to do all the touch up shaving in the room 

hope you all enjoy the video, if your feeling crazy, head over to youtube and click like, leave a comment and even subscribe. 

if you have any specific questions feel free to ask

thanks man, ill try to get to a review on the box soon 

the dust deputy i have is the steel version http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD001002&CatId={2C6BB449-99F9-4CB9-BC27-CAF1BB570002}

i don't necessarily think its worth going with the steel version for the money.. i bought mine years ago, i don't think it was 130 at the time and I'm not really sure why i went steel in the first place

i do think it is worth getting the anti static model, especially if you are going to have it connected to a dust extractor that incorporates antistatic hoses etc. http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD001004SD&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}  its $20 more than the base plastic model. 

That's what I was wondering about with the dust deputy's.  I'm looking at picking one up and building something to collect the dust in.  I'm not a huge fan of using a bucket or two and dragging it along with either a dust collector or a regular shop vac.

i hear ya.. I'm happy with my setup, it works well and is very sturdy

I would kill for a good shop vac and dust deputy right now, I am tasked with cleaning out all the rails of the in floor frame rack in my school auto body shop and they have been open for probably a decade so there is a 2 by 3 inch steel channel that's full to the top with dirt, bolts, pencils and slide hammer studs and all rusted but the opening is only about a 3/4 inch slot running down the rails and I have to empty the shop vac at the end of each class in order for to have any suction left.

NER great video. I'm a spray foam contractor and our general rule of thumb is "do not overspray". We have air powered grinders running off of our compressors to shave it down as efficiently as possible, and I have to say your method is one of the best I've ever seen. Another great video, we all appreciate you taking the time to make them. That festool system is great, and the ingenuity on your part made it even better!

NER great video. I'm a spray foam contractor and our general rule of thumb is "do not overspray". We have air powered grinders running off of our compressors to shave it down as efficiently as possible, and I have to say your method is one of the best I've ever seen. Another great video, we all appreciate you taking the time to make them. That festool system is great, and the ingenuity on your part made it even better!

Wow man, coming from a foam contractor that means a lot to me!!  I'm glad to know I'm doing something right :)   just so its clear, I don't do the actual installation of the foam. I subcontract that to a local company.. 

I just switched subcontractors  because my last one just didn't do the quality work i expect.. i often had to shave and even touch up spots on his jobs, also he was always trying to cheat by spraying thin in areas with deep joists and its harder to gauge the thickness by eye.. that doesn't fly with me.. this was a new installer sub.. this guy is actually really good, i was much happier with his work, and this job required him to really get those bays as full as he could.. he finished the job as we were in the start of a 15" snowfall so he was itching to get the trailer out and back to his shop. i told him i would finish up the shaving to help him out. 

im not sure about that. isn't the midi and ras115 recalled in the us and canada

great video though. im suspired at how efficient the separation is with those really light weight particals

The RAS and MIDI are recalled in Canada only..     all good in the US :)

the light weight particle separation is what really amazed me too.. to tell you the truth i was not expecting any where near results like that.. i think it was pretty obvious in the video that i was shocked when i popped open the vac..   I've used the cyclone plenty with sawdust and heavier debris so I'm well aware of how good it works but i just never expected it to work that well with the foam..

Wow man, coming from a foam contractor that means a lot to me!! I'm glad to know I'm doing something right :) just so its clear, I don't do the actual installation of the foam. I subcontract that to a local company..

I just switched subcontractors because my last one just didn't do the quality work i expect.. i often had to shave and even touch up spots on his jobs, also he was always trying to cheat by spraying thin in areas with deep joists and its harder to gauge the thickness by eye.. that doesn't fly with me.. this was a new installer sub.. this guy is actually really good, i was much happier with his work, and this job required him to really get those bays as full as he could.. he finished the job as we were in the start of a 15" snowfall so he was itching to get the trailer out and back to his shop. i told him i would finish up the shaving to help him out.

yeah, I gathered that you sub it out. Tough to find good help, it sucks when the guys that under fill or do work improperly give the business a bad name. On the other hand, there's more and more operations opening all the time so it's easier to kick the bad ones to the curb.