"Tool Only" storage dilemma

Patrick Fithian

Forgive me if someone has already addressed this somewhere on the forum already.

I've been a fan of DeWalt battery powered tools for years, and recently decided to replace my older 18V tools with the newer 20V versions rather than have them repaired, and I found that I had a large number of options on how the tools could be packaged.

Tool Only

Tool & Battery only

Tool, Battery & Charger in a plastic case

Tool, Battery & Charger without a case

Tool, Battery & Charger in a tool bag

Multiple tools, Batteries & Charger in a tool bag

Paired tools, Batteries & Charger in heavy duty case with custom insert.

My first tool, a hammer drill, I purchased in the "Tool, Battery & Charger in a plastic case" configuration, since I needed both a battery and a charger for the new style battery.  When I started looking at my next tool, the circular saw, I realized several things. 1). All of the DeWalt plastic cases have different dimensions, and do not stack up in an efficient way.  2). I don't necessarily need a charger for every tool.  3). I would rather have the higher capacity batteries instead of the ones normally shipped in the kits. 4). The paired tools are not offered in a pairing that includes 2 tools that I actually want (same goes for the multi-tool kits).  As a result I chose to purchase a "Tool Only" option.

Now I have to solve the problem of storing and transporting this (and future) tools without a factory fitted case.  For a brief moment I thought that DeWalt had a solution.....I saw a 2 tool kit, at Home Depot, that was packed in one of the Heavy Duty cases, with custom molded inserts for the tools, but, upon checking with the DeWalt web site, I found that they were only offering molded inserts for that specific combination of tools.....no such luck!

So, what I am wondering is, "what are other people who buy tool only options using for storage and transportation of the tools?"  Is there anyone out there who is making boxes that can be configured to fit DeWalt tools, with large capacity batteries and shared charger.  Boxes that will protect the tools when not in use, and will stack / pack solidly together?

A WARM WELCOME TO YA!!! I'm throwing my vote to the tough system. I was in the same boat. You have to be part engineer to store your tools back in the blow molded cases. I have a tough box and will be getting more. It has solved my storage solution for hand tools as well as my power tools.

I have the Ridgid storage boxes. I was going to use Kaizen foam but stopped when I saw the cost for putting it in all my cases. I ended up just putting them in the cases alone they flop around but nothing too crazy. If it was a delicate measuring tool I wouldn't do that but a drill can take the abuse just fine.

The Ridgid wins out on being a better deal as the big rolling case is also the cart. The others you have to buy a cart if you want it  and they are not cheap. The Tough Box cart is almost 200 dollars. It's cool and has nice features but 200 dollars that's tough to spend on a cart. I would like to spend that on a tool myself.

Thanks.  I had considered the Tough Boxes when I saw them offered at Home Depot with the custom insert to fit the 2 tool kit that was being sold with it.  Since DeWalt wasn't offering any other inserts for other tools, I quit looking at that as a solution. I really don't like the idea of tools loose in a box.  I didn't even think about using custom cut foam inserts. I like that since I can have them cut to fit whatever combination of tools I choose to group in a box. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

Here's an idea for custom insert for a tool box... Go get a Lego set, use 2 or 3 layers of base plate, configure the box the way you like it, PVC glue it all together, sand excess glue, reinforce each divider from the bottom with small flat head screws, get some rubberize coating, coat everything (top & bottom)... DONE.

Toughsystem all the way.....I use the 2 drawer for battery storage. And as far as cost....Zoro Tools can not be beat when they have a 30% off sale ( 4 times a year ). I bought the cart for $125 and I look at it as my outdoor tool box / workbench. The DeWalt Tstak is also priced great at Zoro. Both systems will work good for your issue and the Rigid system is good also.