Husqvarna 450 Rancher (Recon'd Find)

I've always been a Husqvarna fan and have had great luck with the brand over the years. I recently did some pretty extensive clearing on my property and my little 235 damn near worked me to death! It's a fine little saw for pruning and small jobs, but it simply doesn't have enough ass for my needs.

I needed more saw, something big enough to handle bigger trees, but no too big to be an every job type saw. I was set on the 455, but after discovering that the 450 class saws are available with a 20" bar, I decided to go that route.

At up near $400, it was a little more than I really wanted to spend, but after finding a recon'd model for $276, I said what the hell and decided to go that route. When it arrived, I was pretty surprised. Aside from 1 small place on the drive cover, the damn thing looked brand new! I'd seriously band it up that much in 1 use.

The Rancher is the most expensive of the three 450 models. I can't honestly tell you why though. I know the E Series model has the tool-less tensioning system and that the Rancher has the decompression button as opposed to the automatic function of the other two, but beyond that is anybody's guess.

I fired it up and put it though all the paces. Starting, idling, throttling up, throttling down, everything with the saw is perfect. It's not one of their professional level saws, with the metal case, adjustable oil pump, and auto tune, but it's perfect for my needs and I'm stoked for the price!

post-515-0-59004900-1434774468_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-97751300-1434774486_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-28441800-1434774506_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like the 235 has been discontinued, so there isn't any db(a) rating that I can find. The 450 seems a little louder than the 235, but it's marginal. I guess that's to be expected confiding that it's a 3.2 hp, 50.2 cc as opposed to a 1.8 hp, 34 cc. I'll keep the 235 around for little shit, but the 450 will see the bulk of the work.

Damn, now I want a Husky blower, lol. It's always something

I also learned something else I didn't know. The Jonsered line, which is now a Tractor Supply exclusive I believe, is made by Husqvarna and apparently it's pretty much identical stuff in red.

I didn't know that

That is a good looking saw Conductor. Husqvarna is one of the best brands for chainsaws. In my area no one sells them though. Everyone sells Stihl products, plus live within a mile of our Stihl dealer so it made sense to go with them. Make sure to run premium in it and you shouldn't have an issue with if. Ethanol can and will tear it up in no time. I posted a way to check for ethanol in gas on here if you are interested.

That's a great saw for the price. Ive used the rancher before an it's a great all around saw. Nothing full professional but for me I wouldn't mind having one.

I have a stihl ms 441. It's a great saw but bigger then I trually need. Only reason I got it is cause I did some welding repairs on the side for a lawn equitment shop that also sold Stihl. He was tight on making ends meet an I needed some sort of saw. He offered a few different saws combined with cash or all cash. I went with the biggest saw little cash he offered. Deal worked well for both of us. I am very pleased with it when I've used it. It's a pure beast.

I don't really know enough about chainsaws to tell you what brand is better.

A lot of people are missinformed about Husqvarna. See, when Husqvarna first started out, everything they made was made off of the same assembly line as Craftsman, Poulan. The company was known as American Yard Products, or AYP for short. They are still around. However, once Husqvarna got big, they became their own company, they no longer rely on AYP manufacturing. Also, you know the company named Redmax, they are known for making commercial backpack leaf blowers, have you noticed the simularities in my backpack leaf blower? Thats because Husqvarna bought Redmax, and now they own them, so I basically bought myself a Redmax with Husqvarna's name on it. SWEET! Husqvarna is kickass, the only people who truly rival them IMO is Stihl. Echo used to be a top brand company as well, but they let their quality slide, and now there is no more Echo. Same thing happened with Tecumseh engines, when you let your quality slack, your company will fail, simple as that.

There is another quality manufacturer few know about Dolmar.  My Dolmar PS-5100 is a screaming beast.  Started out to get a Stihl or Husqvarna but a tree cutting pro friend told me about Dolmar.  Got my PS-5100 about five years ago and could not be happier.  Back then Dolmar was trying to get in the US market and had great prices, not sure about the pricing today.

Dolmar is the hiddent diamant few people know of in the industry really :)

They were the first with a gasoline powered chainsaw on the market in 1927?

The only thing what Dolmar doesn't know how to do is good marketing for their products.  Stock many dolmar saws outperform Stihl's / Husqvarna's.

Nice find man! I have a Husqvarna 580bts or Redmax 8000 (which ever floats your boat) blower the thing is a beast, but my chainsaws are Makita/Dolmar 6400's 64cc beasts, got them from HD rental for a good price, its large and gets any job done but I want a smaller saw for the smaller jobs and running on my ATV.

The 450 rancher is a very capable saw I ran one for 3 years and never gave me much trouble, only had to replace the oiler that was about it. But I think a 20" bar on that saw seems a tad big it will drive it but would perform better on an 18"  I also own the Husky 235 and till this day its siting in my garage doing nothing it was the only saw that I hate using, very underpowered for what it is. I strongly believe it was the carb placement in the body that caused a lot of trouble, you cut some wood and half the carb filter was smothered in dust and chippings.

@kornomaniac

Yea, they also make a 84cc big bore kit for this saw, unfortunately the 2 saws I have now are running strong, but I want to replace the cylinder on one.....maybe I'll buy another one and rebuild one of my older ones.

But the 6400 is a strong saw @64cc's I can only imaging what the 79cc or 84cc version is like.

Conductor, where did you pick up this recon?

StrippedScrew: I wanted the 20" bar more for the reach when cutting brush than to cut bigger trees. You really get a lot when you step up to the 455 with the adjustable oil pump, autotune, etc.

Don: I got this from a company called VMInnovations, but have since discovered there are several companies that deal in recon'd Husky stuff

Hey conductor I was curious, do you have just the stock husquvarna chain for it or another chain type. If so do you have any recommendations on what to go with? I have sharpened my one chain to death an My other chain is starting to get to its last few sharpenings. The third chain I have I hit some sort of nail in a tree an yeh. I've had other of the same chains but there worn out as well. Ideally I would like to have at least two chains ready.

Currently I have a stihl 25" bar with a 3/8 pitch an .050 gauge with a stihl rs3 chain.

Fletch: I don't have any real hours on this saw yet, but I never had any complaints with the chain on my previous saw. Husqvarna is making the chains in Sweeden and I believe opened a new facility to do so a couple years back.

It's certainly better than China

The 450 is a nice little homeowner quality saw.  I just got a comparable Echo CS-490, which competes with the Husqvarna 450.  The CS-490 is also 50.2 cc but has a magnesium case, auto adjustable oiler, quick-change cylinder. side access chain tensioner, and weighs only 10.6 lbs.  It also only retails for $350.  http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-490

So far I have had no problems with the echo, but it's not near as powerful as my Husqvarna 346xp.