Got my motorcycle permit.. now time for a motorcycle!!

NERemodeling

Hey all, 

last Saturday I got my motorcycle permit, i'm signed up for the class to get my license at the end of next month (earliest they had available!!!) so now its time to start bike shopping!!   fun :)   

looking for anyone here that might have motorcycle experience and can maybe share any info necessary.. bike recommendations,  necessary accessories, saftey gear etc.. 

this will be my first on road motorcycle but i spent many years riding dirt bikes and still mess around on quads from time to time so i am confident i can control the bike without a problem.  

my wife will be accompanying me for a fair amount of rides as this will be our summer plans.. cruising the back roads and small towns looking for fun stuff to do and see.

as of no i am pretty settled on a naked/street fighter style bike     love the looks of Ducati Monster 796 and 821  maybe a 696, , Aprilia Shiver 750, BMW F800R and really heard a lot of good things and leaning towards a Triumph Street Triple R but these are all on the top of my list.    

wouldnt mind going a few years old but is there anything to watch out for when buying a used bike?  maintenance costs??    want it to have great brakes and suspension.. be comfortable for me and my wife and of course its gotta look badass! 

let me know what you all think of those bikes if nothing else

• Like 2

Triumph and BMW make nice bikes,im a Harley guy myself. Make sure you have good fitting helmets,jackets for cooler weather times,gloves,eye wear.

Honestly if you are looking for comfort for you and your lady a street bike is not the way to go,but thats just my opinion.   If you are looking to do semi longer trips say on weekends or whatever its nice to have bags to put things in.

I like Corbin seats too,they are really comfy.

Have you thought about a dual sport? I think a BMW 1200 GS adventure is the best all around touring bike. I've never been a big fan of baggers. I prefer the Harley Ultra for a bagger but they feel like dogs after riding a BMW.

If you are looking for a smaller bike you should look at a Kawasaki KLR or Versys. They are both great bikes.

For street fighter style bikes my favorite is a KTM 950 Supermoto. The Ducati hyperstrada is a cool bike.

I grew up really close to deals gap we rode 129 every weekend. We also made a lot of road trips.

You are already ahead if you have dirt bike experience. My advice for riding is be alert and pay attention to what cars are doing around you. Some people just don't look for motorcycles when pulling out or merging.

Don't skimp on gear. Your gear can make a HUGE difference in you comfort riding. Your helmet is the most important. Make sure it fits correctly.

This is my go to gear.

Helmet - Arai quantum

Jacket - Aerostitch Darien w/ heated liner

Pant - Aerostitch Darien

Boots - Aerostitch combat touring boots. (They take 20 or 30 k miles to get broke in good but they will last for years)

Gloves - I like motocross gloves for summer riding. Several companies make good road gloves just make sure you get ones that fit correctly and have precurved fingers.

I've had the same bike for 40 years so I think this is what you need.

001_zpsustezhon.jpg

Haha. Slightly different from what I've been looking at.. great looking bike though! 40 years.. wow. That is commitment

roughing it on that hard tail. Does your wife really get on that rear seat?

Triumph and BMW make nice bikes,im a Harley guy myself. Make sure you have good fitting helmets,jackets for cooler weather times,gloves,eye wear.

Honestly if you are looking for comfort for you and your lady a street bike is not the way to go,but thats just my opinion. If you are looking to do semi longer trips say on weekends or whatever its nice to have bags to put things in.

I like Corbin seats too,they are really comfy.

These "naked" bikes have a much more upright seating position than a sport bike which I'm hoping adds to the comfort. They are really designed more around being commuter bikes than track bikes

Do you suggest a jacket year round or just colder months?

I have heard of and looked into corbin, look like nice seats and they make ones that incorporate a much more padded passenger area as well. That would probably be an add on if she starts complaining too much..

Have you thought about a dual sport? I think a BMW 1200 GS adventure is the best all around touring bike. I've never been a big fan of baggers. I prefer the Harley Ultra for a bagger but they feel like dogs after riding a BMW.

If you are looking for a smaller bike you should look at a Kawasaki KLR or Versys. They are both great bikes.

For street fighter style bikes my favorite is a KTM 950 Supermoto. The Ducati hyperstrada is a cool bike.

I grew up really close to deals gap we rode 129 every weekend. We also made a lot of road trips.

You are already ahead if you have dirt bike experience. My advice for riding is be alert and pay attention to what cars are doing around you. Some people just don't look for motorcycles when pulling out or merging.

I have considered a dual sport.. My uncle rides a BMW 700GS  and has nothing but good things to say about it..   Im just not sure if im as in love with that look compared to a naked bike.   Dual sport would be my second choice if street fighters end up being unpractical. 

the Supermoto and Hyperstrada are great looking bikes but i would call those more of a dual sport look than naked/street fighter.. just me though     if i ended up going that way they would definitely be on my list. 

another bike i would consider is the KTM Duke 690..       I have looked into the Versys online, i actually like it. all my dirtbikes were KX so i have soft spot for Kawasaki actually. i should maybe keep that on in the mix  it would sure be a hell of a lot less expensive.    do you think the suspension and brakes compare to the others?

deals gap looks like a sweet ride!  that must have been a blast.   

other drivers are definitely my main concern..  so many distracted driver now a days.. just means i have to be twice as alert i guess..

ill look into  your recommendations for gear... at this point i was only considering helmet, jacket and gloves... do you think pants and boots are necessary?  also do you think a jacket is necessary?

I haven't rode a 690 Duke yet but I used to have a 640 Duke. It was a fun bike up at deals gap but the 45 min ride sucked on the way up there. I know they have improved the vibrations but it's still a single. I don't think you would like it very well for riding two up. I would ride a demo before you get to serious. The 950, 990, 1090, and 1290 duke would be awesome. The 950 supermoto and duke are the same bike with different bodywork.

The 650 Versys is a great riding bike. Suspension and brakes are not a KTM, Ducati, or BMW, but they are good. I feel like the suspension and brakes are also good for riding two up. The motor puts out great power is great for a 650 and its smooth at highway speeds. It's a great bike at a good price point.

I feel like helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots are necessary even when just riding across town. They have saved my dad once. He was only riding about 5 miles across town. A young girl driving a suburban was talking on her phone and pulled out in front of him. He was riding a KTM 950 adventure. He grabbed the brakes the bike stood up on on the front tire. The windshild of the bike hit the tire of the suburban. His face hit the fender and he landed up on the hood. He was only running about 30mph when that happened. He walked away with some bruises and that's all. One of his toe nails turned black from the impact inside of his boot. He was wearing one of my Arai helmets and it ended up with scratches all up the front.

I bought my Aerostitch back in 1998 and I still wear it today. I used to wear out a jacket about every two years before. It's the yellow one in the pictures. Here are some pictures from some of our rides.

Haha. Slightly different from what I've been looking at.. great looking bike though! 40 years.. wow. That is commitment

roughing it on that hard tail. Does your wife really get on that rear seat?

Sometimes on short rides. Now my first wife that passed away rode from Maryland to Sturgis on that seat. We where in our 20's then, When we got to Sturgis she told me that there is no way in hell she was riding home on it. I dropped her off at the Gray hound bus station and saw her 6 days late at home. 

• Like 1

I haven't rode a 690 Duke yet but I used to have a 640 Duke. It was a fun bike up at deals gap but the 45 min ride sucked on the way up there. I know they have improved the vibrations but it's still a single. I don't think you would like it very well for riding two up. I would ride a demo before you get to serious. The 950, 990, 1090, and 1290 duke would be awesome. The 950 supermoto and duke are the same bike with different bodywork.

The 650 Versys is a great riding bike. Suspension and brakes are not a KTM, Ducati, or BMW, but they are good. I feel like the suspension and brakes are also good for riding two up. The motor puts out great power is great for a 650 and its smooth at highway speeds. It's a great bike at a good price point.

I feel like helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots are necessary even when just riding across town. They have saved my dad once. He was only riding about 5 miles across town. A young girl driving a suburban was talking on her phone and pulled out in front of him. He was riding a KTM 950 adventure. He grabbed the brakes the bike stood up on on the front tire. The windshild of the bike hit the tire of the suburban. His face hit the fender and he landed up on the hood. He was only running about 30mph when that happened. He walked away with some bruises and that's all. One of his toe nails turned black from the impact inside of his boot. He was wearing one of my Arai helmets and it ended up with scratches all up the front.

I bought my Aerostitch back in 1998 and I still wear it today. I used to wear out a jacket about every two years before. It's the yellow one in the pictures. Here are some pictures from some of our rides.

I stopped by a friends house the other day and his son bought a Ducati Street fighter 848 and I took it for a spin.I loved it but it also scared the shit out of me. It was like a had a rocket between my legs. Lets just say I stopped looking at my speed after 90

I stopped by a friends house the other day and his son bought a Ducati Street fighter 848 and I took it for a spin.I loved it but it also scared the shit out of me. It was like a had a rocket between my legs. Lets just say I stopped looking at my speed after 90

I love the power delivery on the Ducati and KTM V twins. They pull hard right off the bottom. That is one thing I like so much about the KTM 950 supermoto. It will consistently carry the front tire in 3rd gear accelerating.

Found a pic of the supermoto and a couple of my 1150GS (the black one)

• Like 1

I love the power delivery on the Ducati and KTM V twins. They pull hard right off the bottom. That is one thing I like so much about the KTM 950 supermoto. It will consistently carry the front tire in 3rd gear accelerating.

Found a pic of the supermoto and a couple of my 1150GS (the black one)

If I ever got the gonads to ride a bike I'd go with one of those BMW's! They look awesome and being able to trail ride would beretta cool too.

Of course I counter this by saying that I am the ONLY person I have ever heard of that hit a deer while mountain biking so....;)

• Like 1

Congrats on the permit!

I have a some pieces of advice that I learned the hard way....

1. Where you look = where you go......dont look at oncoming traffic when you are first starting out, or you will naturally lean towards them & wreck.  I almost died in the first 5 miles that I ever rode a motorcycle and sideswiped the PASSENGER side of an oncoming car because I was looking at it instead of the road in front of me....how I lived, I dont know.  Always always always look at the road 100+ yards in front of you where you want to go.....you will naturally lean and not have issues.

2. Dont go faster than you are comfortable.  Here in VA, the newest/inexperienced rider always rides in the front.  Dont follow experienced riders trying to catch up....you will wreck.

3. You see cars....they dont see you.  It doesnt register in people's brains that you are on the road.  People will pull right out in front of you at stop signs/etc after looking you in the eyes.  Also, when stopped, keep it in first gear and watch your mirrors.  The last time I rode a motorcycle I was pulling into my driveway with my left turn signal on.  I see a truck flying up behind me.....he passes my neighbors driveway without slowing down and I take off quickly.....as he locks his brakes up, I am speeding forward & the tire tracks stopped about 10' in front of where I was sitting.  If I had not been in first gear & alert, I would have died or gotten seriously injured.

4. It is easy to speed & hard to outrun a police radio.....dont go more than 10 over the limit or you are asking for lawyer fees.

5. I would NOT suggest getting your "dream bike" at the start.  Get a 750cc or smaller bike.....you most likely are going to lay it down or drop it.....that is a lot easier to deal with if you paid $2k VS $20k.

6. Lastly ...... always wear protective gear.  I refer you to my first 5 miles.....had I not worn a helmet, gloves, boots, pants, and a motorcycle jacket.....I would have been at minimum covered in road rash.

• Like 1

Congrats on the permit!

1. Where you look = where you go......dont look at oncoming traffic when you are first starting out, or you will naturally lean towards them & wreck.  I almost died in the first 5 miles that I ever rode a motorcycle and sideswiped the PASSENGER side of an oncoming car because I was looking at it instead of the road in front of me....how I lived, I dont know.  Always always always look at the road 100+ yards in front of you where you want to go.....you will naturally lean and not have issues.

2. Dont go faster than you are comfortable.  Here in VA, the newest/inexperienced rider always rides in the front.  Dont follow experienced riders trying to catch up....you will wreck.

3. You see cars....they dont see you.  It doesnt register in people's brains that you are on the road.  People will pull right out in front of you at stop signs/etc after looking you in the eyes.  Also, when stopped, keep it in first gear and watch your mirrors.  The last time I rode a motorcycle I was pulling into my driveway with my left turn signal on.  I see a truck flying up behind me.....he passes my neighbors driveway without slowing down and I take off quickly.....as he locks his brakes up, I am speeding forward & the tire tracks stopped about 10' in front of where I was sitting.  If I had not been in first gear & alert, I would have died or gotten seriously injured.

4. It is easy to speed & hard to outrun a police radio.....dont go more than 10 over the limit or you are asking for lawyer fees.

5. I would NOT suggest getting your "dream bike" at the start.  Get a 750cc or smaller bike.....you most likely are going to lay it down or drop it.....that is a lot easier to deal with if you paid $2k VS $20k.

6. Lastly ...... always wear protective gear.  I refer you to my first 5 miles.....had I not worn a helmet, gloves, boots, pants, and a motorcycle jacket.....I would have been at minimum covered in road rash.

That's funny.....one of the top three pieces of advice I got when I was a young cop.....

"Chris......you know, a hot call comes in and you just want to get there yesterday....remember this.....ONLY DRIVE AS FAST AS YOUR WILLING TO HIT SOMETHING!"

• Like 2

Congrats on the permit!

1. Where you look = where you go......dont look at oncoming traffic when you are first starting out, or you will naturally lean towards them & wreck. I almost died in the first 5 miles that I ever rode a motorcycle and sideswiped the PASSENGER side of an oncoming car because I was looking at it instead of the road in front of me....how I lived, I dont know. Always always always look at the road 100+ yards in front of you where you want to go.....you will naturally lean and not have issues.

2. Dont go faster than you are comfortable. Here in VA, the newest/inexperienced rider always rides in the front. Dont follow experienced riders trying to catch up....you will wreck.

3. You see cars....they dont see you. It doesnt register in people's brains that you are on the road. People will pull right out in front of you at stop signs/etc after looking you in the eyes. Also, when stopped, keep it in first gear and watch your mirrors. The last time I rode a motorcycle I was pulling into my driveway with my left turn signal on. I see a truck flying up behind me.....he passes my neighbors driveway without slowing down and I take off quickly.....as he locks his brakes up, I am speeding forward & the tire tracks stopped about 10' in front of where I was sitting. If I had not been in first gear & alert, I would have died or gotten seriously injured.

5. I would NOT suggest getting your "dream bike" at the start. Get a 750cc or smaller bike.....you most likely are going to lay it down or drop it.....that is a lot easier to deal with if you paid $2k VS $20k.

6. Lastly ...... always wear protective gear. I refer you to my first 5 miles.....had I not worn a helmet, gloves, boots, pants, and a motorcycle jacket.....I would have been at minimum covered in road rash.

Good advice. A starter bike is not a bad idea. If you drop it you will not feel as bad, bike parts are pricey. I would not take a passenger until you really feel comfortable, they can affect how the bike handles. Daniel is correct most turns are leaning and looking to the left or right can start steering you that way. After you have been riding awhile you will hold straight without thinking about it. A good seat can save your ass literally on long rides. But I also had friends who could sit on a brick for miles and not complain. Good luck and be careful out there.

Yeah id wear a jacket of somekind every time i ride. Sometimes in the summer when its roasting around 100 deg its still not bad,plus when you just wear a shirt big bugs kinda sting hehe. I also wear a do rag of somekind under my helmet usually. keeps head cooler.

When I got my motorcycle license my first ride was a Yamaha R6. (Actually it was my brother's but he moved to a place that he couldn't store his bike so I couldn't just let it sit there,  ::). That wouldn't be fair to the bike.) Easy to control (Like you, I rode a lot of dirt bikes and quads as a kid), still had enough power to be stupid and was a nice ride. Riding with a passenger wasn't always comfortable. I had the passenger in the back slide forward off her seat and onto mine when ( not if, cause it will happen) I got cut off by a car and had to hit the brakes. 

P.S.This may not be an issue if your into bigger passengers. 

Riding Tips: 

Try to wear brighter colors. Dressing in all black leather doesn't make you any easier to see. 

Assume EVERY car doesn't see you.

At stop lights leave enough room to get around the car infront of you and keep an eye on the car coming up from behind. Car drivers have a habit of looking past the motorcycle and focusing on the car infront of you.

Wearing a helmet cam isn't just to show off your sweet riding skills. It's evidence. I know a couple guys who record their commute. Hit and runs don't end well for riders. I never used one, but its not a bad idea.

Wear gear designed for motorcycle riding. Not just a helmet.

And lastly. relax and have fun. Weekend mornings are great for empty back roads that you can open up on. But, watch out for deer, they can be just as bad as the cars.