What did you do today? A thread dedicated to the general use of tools in your projects.

99_XC600

9 hours ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I do Rutter, but not that one! lol You still got a lot to learn about buying tools. No matter how old you get, nothing will be good enough, you will always upgrade, you will always spend money, and it will just never stop. Cause like a can of pringles potato chips, whats you pop, you can't stop.

I totally know, I am upgrading tools all the time. You buy a tool replace another one and the next year there is something big and better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveJr. said:

I finished sanding my bench top last night and just finished the first coat of varnish. It would be unrealistic for me to get all those scratches and gouges out. It is smooth and thats all that really matters to me.

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3084.JPG

gives it character makes it look rugged very nice! love the look of that great job man.

• Like 2

I was finishing putting some shoe molding in my pantry and I'm pretty sure I killed my brad nailer. I put some 16 gauge nails in it and it shot about 10 before it completely jammed up. 

Turns out that it only accepts 18 gauge nails. Lol

• Like 1

I was finishing putting some shoe molding in my pantry and I'm pretty sure I killed my brad nailer. I put some 16 gauge nails in it and it shot about 10 before it completely jammed up. 

Turns out that it only accepts 18 gauge nails. Lol

Ha ha woops

It was somewhat relaxing. :)

I started with changing the oil in my wife's Jeep. Something I've done about 100 times. For whatever reason, the oil filter would not come off. It just deformed and was then punctured by the strap wrench. So I had no choice but to find a way to get it off.

I grabbed the biggest set of channel locks I had and managed to extract that POS from the engine. What should have taken about 15 min to complete ended taking an hour, 

Most of the time I was just staring and shouting obscenities at it. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 99_XC600 said:

Spent some time in the garage. 

Changed the the oil and trans fluid in the Cruze. I bet you wouldn't think that you would need to use a 4 foot level to check the level for the trans. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The manufacturers really don't want people changing their own transmission fluid anymore. We went to change the trans fluid in a 2012 Dodge Avenger and it doesn't have a dipstick at all. If you look up the special tools required to change the fluid a dipstick is actually one of them. The fill tube just has a plug in it. What did you need the level for?

Same situation as the Avenger. No dipstick.

On the drivers side of the transmission there is a fluid level indicator hole which has an 11MM bolt in it. Once you drain the fluid, you need to remove the bolt and then begin the filling process. While the car is running and in park, you continue filling until fluid begins to weep out of the hole.

The level is too ensure that the car is level and the fluid indicator hole is not sitting at an angle which would throw off the amount of fluid in the tranny.

Yes, in case you're wondering it's a stupid design. Since after you fill it, you then need to drive the car to get the fluid up to operating temp and check the level again.

2 hours ago, 99_XC600 said:

Same situation as the Avenger. No dipstick.

On the drivers side of the transmission there is a fluid level indicator hole which has an 11MM bolt in it. Once you drain the fluid, you need to remove the bolt and then begin the filling process. While the car is running and in park, you continue filling until fluid begins to weep out of the hole.

The level is too ensure that the car is level and the fluid indicator hole is not sitting at an angle which would throw off the amount of fluid in the tranny.

Yes, in case you're wondering it's a stupid design. Since after you fill it, you then need to drive the car to get the fluid up to operating temp and check the level again.

What a pain, i'm glad I lost interest in cars when I did lol!! I think it was going to the same place day after day that did me in

• Like 1

5c5350f73006230634e333c22d5fb065.jpg389b334c134b96f146db4d6444b1f656.jpg

I got my first facia board up today. When I first made my kitchen I used my old fence for the roof. It looked cool but I wanted it waterproof the following year so I laid metal roof over it. I had to cut the fence over hang back with my oscillating tool so I could put the 2x10 up. It's a PITA but it turned out good.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2