40 vs 60 tooth Diablo 7 1/4?

JerryNY

i generally like smoother cuts even when doing framing because I'm anal and love the diablo 36 tooth 5 3/8" on my small saw but am picking up a new Fuel 71/4 today because I have a $20 HD coupon burning a hole in my pocket lol. I need to make some cuts in a solid core door and rips in trim and jam work and was wondering if there is much noticeable difference between the 40 and 60? There is only a few $ difference between the two but more teeth means more work for the saw and if there's not a huge gain I don't know. I guess the 60 would be most similar to the 36 on the 5 3/8" I have and I love the cuts that gives me so I'm leaning toward the 60 toother...

I have a 40 on my 6 1/2" fuel and liking it lots.......got 60 on table saw and 80 on miter saw.... depends on what you do most of I suppose....there are a few different types of 60 and up also.....thin kerf ect ect..

Ive used both in framing lumber and the 60 gives a noticably smoother finish but it also cuts noticably slower and thats going to be more pronounced in the milwaukee cordless because Ive heard the motor is a bit underpowered for the blade size compared to the smaller fuel saw. In your situation the 40t will be better unless you plan on having two blades for the saw.

Thanks all. I got the 60 because right now I'm not really doing framing so much and the saw comes with a framing blade, probably a mediocre one but useful, so the 60 is probably better for my current usage and I still have the OEM blade to throw on for rough cut occasions. The Fuel is so nicely made, the magnesium parts and base plate( I think it's mag) and the engraved markings are just impressive.

I haven't found the 7 1/4" Fuel to be underpowered at all.  Quite to the contrary, I've gone through quite a bit of PT lumber without any problems at all.  The framing blade that comes with it is also surprisingly good.  Compared to some framing blades that have torn and massacred plywood, I've gotten very smooth cuts from the stock blade when I've forgotten or just been too lazy to swap it out.

Yeah was ripping some 2x4's with the 60 toother for the heck of it and it felt pretty powerful. The only thing was it beat the crap outta the batteries which got hot fast and kicked into protection mode and shut down, swapping for a cooler fresh battery and the saw went right back to work. The saw itself didn't seem to get hot itself. I threw on the included framing blade and it does actually seem pretty decent. You can't really tell though the quality because in my experience brand new blades are all usually decent, the good ones stay sharp much longer and hence worth the extra money.

One side note and the only disappointment is the slot that retains the Allen key seems to be faulty. It was super hard to get the Allen out the first time, which isn't bad because you don't want it flying out when making a cut but now it doesn't hold the Allen at all. It just drops right out. It seems trivial but spending $200 for a saw I kinda want a perfect one so it's probably going to go back for a replacement.

I use the 40T Diablo on my 7-1/4 Fuel saw and it's been a great all around blade. I use a higher tooth blade on the miter saw, but I'm not making many fine finish cuts with a circ saw anyway. 40T is a nice compromise between sped and finish.