Cordless SDS drills - brushless vs brushed

AJB

Supposedly, the brushless only adds to run time. Any power increase is negligible. So, if that holds true, ask yourself how many holes you'll be drilling at one time. I can tell you from experience, the brushed version is a battery hog. I've gone through double digit batteries in a single work day.

The DCH273P2 replaced the DCH253M2. Unless you can find some old DCH253's laying around, your only option will be the DCH273P2. The DCH273 is not only brushless, but it comes with 5.0Ah batteries. Larger gas tank and brushless motor means 80% more runtime than the DCH253. There will also be a vac attachment for the DCH273 that is not available for the DCH253. 

• Like 1

Supposedly, the brushless only adds to run time. Any power increase is negligible. So, if that holds true, ask yourself how many holes you'll be drilling at one time. I can tell you from experience, the brushed version is a battery hog. I've gone through double digit batteries in a single work day.

Brushless eliminates losses in the brushes/commutator, increased torque etc. For SDS, the action is delivered through a geared system that provides rotation and hammer action. The force of each blow isn't determined by power output alone, but more of the stroke length and power. Brushless doesn't offer any real benefit here, just some increased runtime. Brushed motors handle harsh environments much better than the brushless too!

Since instant torque and super high speed isn't really a factor either, brushless really doesn't make a huge difference other than sounding super cool!

My Hilti TE4 is not brushless, but you would never know it. I had the Milwaukee fuel 2712-20 and on paper it should have out performed the Hilti. It didn't. Not even close.

The marketing of brushless tools makes it hard to see through the hype and BS.

Certain things are just fine being brushed, like flashlights, radios and SDS hammer drills!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dch253 still listed on their website and I've found no trouble hunting one down. So if they've been discontinued why are they so easily found and listed by dewalt??

It wasn't discontinued that long ago, some distributors may still have some inventory. As for our website, it just hasn't been taken off yet. I did a google search and some of the retailers said "no longer in stock". 

Brushless eliminates losses in the brushes/commutator, increased torque etc. For SDS, the action is delivered through a geared system that provides rotation and hammer action. The force of each blow isn't determined by power output alone, but more of the stroke length and power. Brushless doesn't offer any real benefit here, just some increased runtime. Brushed motors handle harsh environments much better than the brushless too!

Since instant torque and super high speed isn't really a factor either, brushless really doesn't make a huge difference other than sounding super cool!

My Hilti TE4 is not brushless, but you would never know it. I had the Milwaukee fuel 2712-20 and on paper it should have out performed the Hilti. It didn't. Not even close.

The marketing of brushless tools makes it hard to see through the hype and BS.

Certain things are just fine being brushed, like flashlights, radios and SDS hammer drills!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are correct, just because it's brushless doesn't mean that it hits any harder. But don't downplay the increase in run time. The DCH273P2 got 80% more run time compared to the DCH253 in our tests, some of that is because of the larger battery, but a bigger portion of that is because of the brushless motor. 

I am also looking at the Makita brushless sds DHR242 / DHR243 as I use both Dewalt and Makita battery platforms.

My mate has the Makita and its so close to my 36v DC234 in power you wouldn't know it's a 18v but in terms of weight you certainly notice the difference!-

I am also looking at the Makita brushless sds DHR242 / DHR243 as I use both Dewalt and Makita battery platforms.

My mate has the Makita and its so close to my 36v DC234 in power you wouldn't know it's a 18v but in terms of weight you certainly notice the difference!-

I have the Makita. Found it way cheaper than the dewalt on ebay. 479 with 2 batteries 5ah and vacuum