how would this work....

chewie17

no pictures no videos just a question about a guy who likes the compactness of a pneumatic nailer and is having a hard time finding the right compressor for it....

what if a guy was to make a compressor to be fit inside the bed of the truck, run off the gas tank from the truck, have a high PSI tank of around 150-175, and the guy has a truck cap installed? 

has anyone seen this or heard of it? I had the idea because sometimes the air compressor inside the house is noisy, a pain to bring in and out if the truck and most of the time its just in the way...

I was thinking of a 12-16 gallon tank, that has a CFM of around 6+ @125 PSI and have it fully plumbed so the air hose is on a reel, the exhaust goes outside the truck and the tank drain goes straight outside...

The main problem I see is getting it to run off of the tank from the truck itself. It could be done but it wouldn't be very easy. You would have to somehow hook into the factory fuel line and run it to the bed with a fuel pressure regulator set to the pressure needed to the compressor. the fuel that goes to the engine should return to the tank. You would have to hook into the factory return line from the regulator going to the compressor too.

The main problem I see is getting it to run off of the tank from the truck itself. It could be done but it wouldn't be very easy. You would have to somehow hook into the factory fuel line and run it to the bed with a fuel pressure regulator set to the pressure needed to the compressor. the fuel that goes to the engine should return to the tank. You would have to hook into the factory return line from the regulator going to the compressor too.

well than an auxillery tank is easiest ?

You can have a fuel line that goes directly to the tank. We retrofitted a Chevy pick up into a light truck unit. We had it professionally done but when we mounted the generator they ran a fuel line and small pump into the gas tank, they used some sort of euphonium get device in the tank. Sounds expensive but it's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

about the easiest way to do what you want is mount a gas compressor in the back of the truck, port it out the side of the topper or get a 2000W inverter and run an electric

I don't see anything wrong with this. I think that this would be your cheapest and easiest option.

Is this for framing or trim or a combination of both? Did they look at the Rolair or California air tools compressors? Is the gas powered part necessary for the job site?

it would be a combo of frame and trim. the gas part isn't necassry however I figured I would need it to be able to get the CFM I wanted... I have not looked into the rolair or California however I want it a certain size to fit under the toolbox I have on my cap so I figured custom was the easiest way

• 2 weeks later...

Would be over my head but.There are ways to turn your engine into the compressor.At the flip of a switch one or more engine cylinders compress the air.Just like a semi truck compressing air for its brakes.Or a construction sight compressor that uses the engine to compress the air.

Another way would be a compressor that runs off the trucks belt pulley. 

I would try to use an inverter and AC compressor. Throw it in a box with a battery connected via disconnect (dual battery ) to trucks battery. When the truck runs, the compressor gets charged and runs with extra amps. The battery will run the compressor for short periods. Oil filled compressor should draw the least amount of amps. The inverter needs to be a pure sine inverter. Found on boats and RV's. If the load calcs work, you might be able to add a spiderbox.