New header and expanding closet

MikeyB

Took a week off from work to start a project of opening up a wall to the foyer and living room and making our closet a little bigger.... Hopefully the pics come out.

The electric is a mess, gotta spend a lot of time on the new rough in and got some hardwood flooring to repair as well

Removed the old 2X6 header and increased the opening to 12 ' with 2-2X12"X12' Doug fir headers with 1/2" plywood in the middle.. This is a non load bearing wall..tomorrow will rip out the existing 2x6 headers for the closet doorway and foyer and rework new headers to work within our plan..

My pics are a little blurry, I apologize for that guys, my I-pad screen is cracked.. I'll try to get some better pics tomorrow

Coming along nicely! Would you consider boxing in the area above the closet that looks like it is going to end up being a shelf . just frame 2 little walls that connect from the top if the right side of the closet up to the ceiling. Unless you have a use for that space it might make it look neater and it will be one less place for dust to collect!

Coming along nicely! Would you consider boxing in the area above the closet that looks like it is going to end up being a shelf . just frame 2 little walls that connect from the top if the right side of the closet up to the ceiling. Unless you have a use for that space it might make it look neater and it will be one less place for dust to collect!

Thanks John, the wife and I were kicking that idea around yesterday... Looks like we are going to leave it as is for now, dress up the top with some crown and a nice vase with some flowers ( or something like that) Then down the line if we don't like the look anymore I will frame it up to the ceiling and box it in with maybe an access door to access a storage area on the top

awesome job so far ......why the M/C wiring? is it throughout the whole house?

Thanks Comp, I have a lot of metal boxes, fittings and 12/2 w/a ground bx left over, wanted to use it up. yes the house still,has the original bx throughout the house, trying to replace it as I go along

Thanks John, the wife and I were kicking that idea around yesterday... Looks like we are going to leave it as is for now, dress up the top with some crown and a nice vase with some flowers ( or something like that) Then down the line if we don't like the look anymore I will frame it up to the ceiling and box it in with maybe an access door to access a storage area on the top

Cool . Just thought I would toss it out there in case you haven't thought of it

Looks like its really coming along nicely

• Like 1

In. Last pic showing the entrance, I installed a gfci outlet with a exterior box, rewired the outside light (will install a motion style when I find one I like) and also running new bell wire as well... I gotta treat myself to a new tool after my wife gets another large closet,,,, lol