Deck build!!!??

Downshftking

So my friend is wanting to build a deck and I have been helping do research on what to use and what not to use and we'll it is a little confusing. I told him there are books out there and YouTube but is there anyone that has built one before and know what speciality tools he can use to make the build go smooth??!!

Menards stocks a couple spacing tools that will help your secure the deck to the beams as well as space them properly.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

not so much that you need specialty tools but it does come down to where the deck is going to be, on the ground? 10 feet in the air or anywhere in between? where it will be built can change the way it needs to be built.......budget is a big factor, you don't want to go cheap as it turns out to be a cheap deck that does not last. Safety is another factor, you plan on having 75 people jumping around on it or a family of 4.

A lot more info needed....... 

I'll second what comp said. I've built maybe 3 or 4 decks so I am by no means an expert compared to most of the guys here, but I don't recall needing any specialty tools that I didn't already have. The only thing I can think of would maybe be if you are going to fasten it to a block or concrete wall. If it's a really big deck a gas powered post hole digger might be nice but not necessary. I'm curious how big and how high the deck is going to be.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I haven't got to use them yet (been doing multi story decks since I discovered them and I build in hurricane land) but to simplify the build, I'd go with Handi Block's. No need for footers, and are easy to adjust meaning no issues with measurement mistakes that can happen with footings and anchoring systems. 

Believe it or not, tool wise your best friends will be a string line level and a tape measure. Clearly he'd need a saw if he doesn't have one, at least 10" so 4x4 can be cut effortlessly isn't a necessity but certainly makes life easier. Taking the time to fine tune the substructure will make a strong, long lasting deck. Don't rush through this portion of your build.  

first thing you need to do is plain out the location and size/shape. Then design with a free deck design tool (HomeDepot, Lows. Trex...) this will give you a good estimate of price, material, and general construction. Next look up the building codes and edit your design as needed. Submit plans and pull permits as needed.

But most importantly, check to be sure external distractions won't delay progress. Check the weather and plain accordingly. Most contracts will advise for a fee.

You can't get away with the handy blocks in an area that freeze the frost heave would do some damage to an attached deck. They might work if the deck is an independent structure. I know Regiopit knows quite abit about deck building.

This seems much more stable and secure to me. I guess its all relative to the time money and effort you want to put in.

You can't get away with the handy blocks in an area that freeze the frost heave would do some damage to an attached deck. They might work if the deck is an independent structure. I know Regiopit knows quite abit about deck building.

This seems much more stable and secure to me. I guess its all relative to the time money and effort you want to put in.

Ive seen a few decks with handy blocks and they look like something that was just quickly thrown together.  It doesn't seem to give the sound construction of digging your footers and leveling it properly.  Personally I am just not a fan of short cuts like that but if it works for you, go for it.

The First thing is to check your local codes for your footers. Most places now require a 12" footer. Then you have to consider how you house was built does it have a solid rim joist or is it engineered. How to attach it to the house. A lot of places's  require some type of Lateral Load Connection. Decks are not that hard to build but are structures that need to be designed to adequately resist certain stresses.

here are some links that can help you out

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/F-DECKCODE13.pdf