Tips to find a contractor

WigWagWorkshop

Good Day Crew!

Once spring arrives here I want to have my master bathroom remodeled.  The problem is, for better or for worst I see a lot of nightmares on TV shows, so I am looking for ADVICE on finding a contractor.  It won't be for another 7 months, but I figure if I start researching now, and get help with planning I will be ready to rock in spring. I live in Central Ohio, so if anyone has a recommendation please let me know.  I tried to start my research, but it's a bit overwhelming with the amount of folks that offer there services, and need help weeding out the turds.

-Steven

Check that they are insured/liscenced/bonded. Ask for references, and do not afraid to call those references and ask them questions such as:

Was the contractor on time?

Was the contractor on budget?

Are you happy with the work completed?

Did you have to call the contractor back to fix any issues?

And other questions you need to make you feel comfortable and that may be geared toward your specific project.

Ask to see a portfolio with pictures. If they cannot present one, it's probably a sign to move on. I work for a General contractor. I don't sell the work to the client but my pictures from the field are stored and used for future bids/presentations/pre con meetings etc. I even know guys that carry photo albums in their trucks.

NEVER EVER EVER........EVER agree to 100% payment upfront. That may be a no brainier to ya but I just have to put it out there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Check that they are insured/liscenced/bonded. Ask for references, and do not afraid to call those references and ask them questions such as:

Was the contractor on time?

Was the contractor on budget?

Are you happy with the work completed?

Did you have to call the contractor back to fix any issues?

And other questions you need to make you feel comfortable and that may be geared toward your specific project.

Ask to see a portfolio with pictures. If they cannot present one, it's probably a sign to move on. I work for a General contractor. I don't sell the work to the client but my pictures from the field are stored and used for future bids/presentations/pre con meetings etc. I even know guys that carry photo albums in their trucks.

NEVER EVER EVER........EVER agree to 100% payment upfront. That may be a no brainier to ya but I just have to put it out there.

Poisonfang pretty much covered all the bases. Liscense, bonded and insured is a must and be sure to check if it's all current. Some cities may charge a small fee but shouldn't be more than $15. Make sure your contract is legit and solid and that there are no gaps left open. If the contractors estimate if off (which is not uncommon these days) make sure he/she provides you with a change order contract and that it's not written on a napkin! Good luck!

• Like 1

ask as many questions as you can before you pick if they get uncomfortable move on.........research all material costs so you know the approx cost before hand. so many times I hear someone I know tell me ya they charged us XXX and here they have pallets of it sitting in stock....just remember because of the nature of the reno bathrooms can be a licence to steal......30% mark up on material is one thing but tacking on $5000 is another......

• Like 1

All good ideas. If they ask you to pay cash that is another red flag. Many of them do so they don't have to claim the income on taxes. That is not a benefit to you at all and is not a good sign. One guy that was a "roofer" even asked me if I wanted the "licensed" price or the unlicensed price. I asked him what the hell that meant and he stuttered something about saving me money. I just asked him to go.

All good ideas. If they ask you to pay cash that is another red flag. Many of them do so they don't have to claim the income on taxes. That is not a benefit to you at all and is not a good sign. One guy that was a "roofer" even asked me if I wanted the "licensed" price or the unlicensed price. I asked him what the hell that meant and he stuttered something about saving me money. I just asked him to go.

Roofing is one of the shadiest trades for some reason. Not saying scammers are in other trades but I always hear people having problems with roofers. I think its because its the easiest trade to get into all you need is some basic tools and a pickup and your a roofer.