M18 fuel woes

glass

I bought into the fuel line after some bad makita battery years. So here goes, I find the Milwaukee m18 no better than anything else except the sawzall which is awesome. I have killed 1 m18 fuel hammer drill and impact driver. I also find the compact drill brushed to be gutless, and the fuel m18 hammer drill has a chuck wobble. Anybody have anytime on the new makita top of the line 18 volt. Power is not my main concern as all these drills seem to have enough balls. I am looking for reliability, toughness and NO CHUCK WHOBBLE !

If you watched the TIA video the most reliable tools will be brushed. The electronics can't handle moisture the Gen2 fuel has potted electronics but I don't know if it will really make a difference. I also see a lot of people complain about chuck wobble from various brands. It does suck but Milwaukee does have issues with reliability at times :(

If you watch the drill fight the Bosch faired very well, really the o my one without problems, I have the Dewalt 995, it's a great drill and I love it but sometimes I feel like I'm just using. A spinning computer, same with my fuel m12s.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can't really go by a bad experience from one brand to the next, they are all mass produced and like anything mass produced there are bound to be issues somewhere.....I have M18 stuff and haven't had any issues.......

• Like 1

When I received my M18 drill, the first thing I noticed is how straight and true it is, no wobble. I decided to test how good that is by taking the longest metal rod I had(16") and seeing if it wobbled...not even a hint of wobble. Sometimes some people are just unlucky with brands, I haven't experienced it in tools but I have with CCM hockey equipment. Anything I've ever bought that was CCM I destroyed waaay quicker than I should have.

If wobble is going to be a problem, you may have to more clearly define your needs. Most of the tools made by the big manufacturers are not designed for precision work and a fairly large amount of chuck wobble will be tolerable in their specs. You have the option to individually check a few units to find one that performs to your needs or you need to find a drill designed for more precise work which will probably cost more. Remember that most of these tools are for the trades or for homeowners and as such are designed to take a beating - not to drill with tolerances within a thousandths of an inch or even a perfectly round hole. Maybe you need a drill press?

I bought into the fuel line after some bad makita battery years. So here goes, I find the Milwaukee m18 no better than anything else except the sawzall which is awesome. I have killed 1 m18 fuel hammer drill and impact driver. I also find the compact drill brushed to be gutless, and the fuel m18 hammer drill has a chuck wobble. Anybody have anytime on the new makita top of the line 18 volt. Power is not my main concern as all these drills seem to have enough balls. I am looking for reliability, toughness and NO CHUCK WHOBBLE !

Is this a cosmetic wobble or mechanical? I have 3 gen 2 fuels and they all look like they wobble, it's because the etched milling on the chuck is done poorly and does not travel straight. But if you put a 6" long bit in any of them there is no wobble in the bit. It's merly the racheting portion of the chuck that wobbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, I expect too much: got less than year out of my gen 1 fuel m18 hammer drill and less than 6 months out of the impact although I bought it refurbished. Seems like they made some improvements to the gen 2 drill besides more power.

You cant expect perfection out of mass produced power tools man,just like cars there is gonna be a lemon here and there. Tell us a little more,why did it die? Are you abusive to your tools? Im not saying you are just asking since you seem to be on the defensive about others answers. Coming on here and giving a blah reason why you think milwaukee sucks or whatever just makes no sense bud. Any of the top names are gonna be good and they all have their woes that go with them.

• Like 1

well I bought a new m18 gen 1 replacement a while back and its doing fine. The refurbished buy I will classify as live and learn and pass it off as I will never try that again. I will send in the broken drill as its still under warreanty. Like I said the sawzall is outstanding. The impacts are maybe a half step below makita. But its the chucks on the milwaukee drills as it just eems not to run as true as the newer makitas and its eeems harder to get the bits locked in there just right.  I may just go both milwaukee and makita and pick what I like best, that 7 1/4 milwaukee sawsure looks good but I always liked the makita cordless biscuit joiner. Who has the better cordless power planer.  Almost forgot I do loike m18 fuel grinder very much as well. And yes I am criritical but not abusive on tools.