TiA 2015 Tool Awards discussion

BMack37

If you haven't seen the post it's here: http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2015/12/tools-in-action-2015-tool-awards-the-best-of-the-best/

It's kind of difficult to have a discussion in the blog section but I figured we'd all have various opinions on the list. So what do you guys think? Did the guys get it all right? Did they miss the mark? Any snubs?

It's quite the list too, I think a big thank you is owed because of the amount of time it took to assemble the list.

Pretty good I think. As usual, its is very American brand centric. Here's my discussion points/questions:

• I think the Makita impact should have gotten the nod against the Milwaukee.
  • The more powerful FUEL SDS probably should probably be favourite over the Dewalt, but the Dewalt is excellent.
  • Why is the Bosch axial glide saw not winning the mitre saw section?
  • How could 20V outdoor gear be getting the nod ahead of 40V, 56V, 80V tools?

Dwain seems to be spot on !!!

Personally i think that Makitas 18v line is better then milwaukees.

Why?

Most extensive 18v lineup by far.

The 18x2 system Rocks. Use your 18v batteries for the bigger 36v tools

Your 18v Makita platform also gives you access to a very wilde selection of garden tools.( in either 18 or 18x2 volt )

Fast charger standard.

But thats very much up for debate so no biggy :)

What I always say is that I think it's great that there are so many solid offerings out there from the various manufacturers that each one of these categories could have gone several different ways and still been good picks. On a list this subjective I have not used as many different tool brands as Dan and Eric so I enjoyed reading their write up. Like Dwain, I was somewhat surprised that Bosch didn't get the nod for the miter saw category. I think DWS 780 is a great saw (it's on my list of future candidates for my shop) I think the axial glide is pretty innovative. As much as Milwaukee is touted for their innovation, I think in miter saws Bosch's axial glide is pretty forward thinking and addresses what has always been my biggest complaint about sliding miter saws and that's the dead space behind the saw.

Either way, good topic man. It's nice to know that with this forum and the crew here it won't become a firestorm but instead actual discussion about tools. Good work Crew!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yea I think it's a pretty good list, dwain talked about how 20v outdoor equipment trumped some higher volatile stuff but if you look from a buyers, specifically a homeowner, if you already have the 20v platform those are some great products at lower costs than the 40v. I'm not knocking the higher voltage equipment because that stuff is awesome but I can see why that stuff made it to the list. For the quality power and price can you really beat that?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On impact drivers I think you could really debate the xdt09 vs 2753. Yes the makita is faster but the Milwaukee has more torque, also the Milwaukee just "seems" like it could really take a beating. As far as the axle glide saw, i think it's downfall is its weight. I went with the 780 simply because I'm unloading it every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you really cannot debate it.

You have to try reaaal hard to find a real life situation where the Milwaukee out does the Makita.

The situations where that 'max torque' comes into play can be counted on 1 hand.

And for 95% of impact driver use the better speed will count.

I own the xdt09 and the speed is an issue when driving into hardwoods with Phillips screws. It will cam out the screw every time. I live the driver but it doesn't not absolutely beat the Milwaukee. They are pretty equal in my opinion

• Like 1

Makita never sent a review sample of the impact to Dan and Eric to test.

are you saying that this is the tool awards of only tools that Dan and Eric have been sent by suppliers? What is there was only one or two tools in the category they reviewed?

I own the xdt09 and the speed is an issue when driving into hardwoods with Phillips screws. It will cam out the screw every time. I live the driver but it doesn't not absolutely beat the Milwaukee. They are pretty equal in my opinion

Aha ! Have you tried changing bits/bitholder? Wiha and Bosch both make bits with a special coating to reduce cam out effect which is inherent in the Philips design.

Combining those bits with a torque controlling bit holder

( ive got mine from Felo)

http://youtu.be/ZpiE2Cqm0-g

That combination will solve alot if not all of impact driver problem of camming out/stripping screw heads :)

I own the xdt09 and the speed is an issue when driving into hardwoods with Phillips screws. It will cam out the screw every time.

Isn't that mostly about just getting your technique down with the variable speed trigger (and also setting the driver down to speed 1 or 2)?

Good bits will help, but its mostly about applying the right amount of pressure and RPMs...

There's definitely not a problem with my technique. I've been in the trades since I was 15. It's mainly when you're over reaching. But it does happen more often with the makita because of the extreme speed. And I use makita gold and wiha bits. The problem is you can't drive screws into hardwoods at that speed but you need the torque on setting 3.

They are both great drivers, I own a Construction company and own both drivers and use them 7 days a week. I'm just tired of hearing that the td148/xdt09 is the end all best driver in the world. They are all still very comparable, even the dewalt.

They are both great drivers, I own a Construction company and own both drivers and use them 7 days a week. I'm just tired of hearing that the td148/xdt09 is the end all best driver in the world. They are all still very comparable, even the dewalt.

I feel the same way just like DeWalt Vs. Milwaukee we all know DeWalt is the better brand ;) 

I hear what you are saying. Everybody can beat their chest and yell I'm the best. When it comes down to it the top brands have very little in their differences. They all make good tools and they also make not so goods tools.. My family has been making a living using tools a long as I can remember and we has always bought the best we could afford. I still use tools that were my dads that would be called junk today but they still do the job and do a very good job as well but they are junk. Buy what you like, use what you like and be happy. The tool does not make the job the man using the tool makes the job.

• Like 2

Phillips screws? I use phillips screws as little as possible these days. I use torx drive  GRK or Spaxs it is rare for them to cam out.

Phillips screws? I use phillips screws as little as possible these days. I use torx drive GRK or Spaxs it is rare for them to cam out.

I know, I really try to stick with Robertson screws but I come across a lot of Phillips

Besides drywall screws even big box stores are really pushing other drive type fasteners now finally. It wasn't like that it the mid 2000's Phillips was the king of shelf space. I'm kinda glad its changing but you can always find a phillips bit easy though others not so much at times.