What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

4 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Thats a great price on that sander

I know! I was looking at buying one new but decided the Makita was the better value...then I looked on CL and the decision was reversed for me. I actually had bought the Diablo sanding discs two days ago.

Just now, BMack37 said:

I know! I was looking at buying one new but decided the Makita was the better value...then I looked on CL and the decision was reversed for me. I actually had bought the Diablo sanding discs two days ago.

ha ha, im not the biggest fan of diablo paper, on the lower end Norton is a good brand before you step into the expensive stuff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yep, conductor called it....

"..... But if your needs are a little less about NASA level precision and a little more about really damn close, the HF digital calipers are a really great value. You take something measured on a $150+ Starrett with an accuracy rating of +/-.0001, and something measured with a $14.99 HF caliper (also with an accuracy rating of +/-.0001) and I bet you can’t tell the difference."

See: 

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/06/10-best-tools-you-can-buy-at-harbor-freight/

Hmmm, maybe I used a different model number. The issue I had with them wasn't accuracy, but more useability. Maybe all digital calipers are like that, but I lack the patience for how slow you had to move the jaws to keep it from going haywire. Felt super loose as well. I was using one of the shops pair this summer when I did the 36 hr 8.3 rebuild and it about ended up through the shop wall before I went and got my Chicago analog calipers out of my pickup. I suppose the fact that I was averaging 4 hours of sleep per per day that season and the fact that I had been up for 20 something hours at the time may have skewed my perception a little. Still greatly dislike them. 

I have the 5004N that I got from Summit Racing for $33. I'd take them over two of the HF ones any day. The difference is that the HF ones use a roller and the Chicago one has a rack so you can move a little faster. 

50 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Hmmm, maybe I used a different model number. The issue I had with them wasn't accuracy, but more useability. Maybe all digital calipers are like that, but I lack the patience for how slow you had to move the jaws to keep it from going haywire. Felt super loose as well. I was using one of the shops pair this summer when I did the 36 hr 8.3 rebuild and it about ended up through the shop wall before I went and got my Chicago analog calipers out of my pickup. I suppose the fact that I was averaging 4 hours of sleep per per day that season and the fact that I had been up for 20 something hours at the time may have skewed my perception a little. Still greatly dislike them. 

I have the 5004N that I got from Summit Racing for $33. I'd take them over two of the HF ones any day. The difference is that the HF ones use a roller and the Chicago one has a rack so you can move a little faster. 

I've had my HF caliper for years. It works well for anything I do but it does sometimes re-zero itself about 4.5mm off, so I always measure then close the jaws to see if it's still zero-ed correctly.

• Like 1

What were you using before?

Here's the oxx on the shelf of my van. I'm doing a slightly different shelving configuration on the new van this weekend, so it will be beside my microwave. Works great! I keep my pods inside my weatherguard center console.

https://instagram.com/p/BO47r7KhaPN/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Maybe I've just been lucky. I've had 3 HF Calipers and they've worked flawlessly. As with anything you get from HF, there are undoubtedly going to be QC issues, but mine have been trouble free. No funky resets or anything like that. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2016 at 3:00 PM, dwasifar said:

It may be even sooner than that:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13841052/1/sears-selling-craftsman-for-2-billion-likely-won-t-keep-it-afloat.html

There's no reason to assume whoever buys the brand will honor the previous warranty commitments.  Your lifetime warranty may end when the sale goes through.

It's a shame.  I have a large collection of USA Craftsman hand tools and although I generally don't break tools the warranty was nice to have for peace of mind.

For a while, Home Depot used to offer free warranty replacement for Craftsman; if you brought them your broken Craftsman hand tool they'd replace it with an equivalent Husky at no charge.  It was great for customer goodwill.  Maybe if Sears really goes down, or the Craftsman brand does, they'll see a business opportunity and start that again.

BTW the sale to Stanley Black & Decker mentioned in that article did not go through.  They decided to buy Irwin, Lenox, and Hilmor from Newell Group instead.  So Craftsman is still on the block, and some analysts think Sears will not find a buyer for the brand now that Stanley has opted out.

Well, looks like I was wrong about that.  Stanley Black & Decker bought the Craftsman brand from Sears today for $900m.  No word yet on what that does to existing warranties.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conductor562 said:

Maybe I've just been lucky. I've had 3 HF Calipers and they've worked flawlessly. As with anything you get from HF, there are undoubtedly going to be QC issues, but mine have been trouble free. No funky resets or anything like that. 

Well to be fair to HF a few guys had used those were of the intelligence that I wouldn't be surprised if they were used as c clamps so Idk. Worth the risk for $14, but for me it's worth the lack of risk for $35 dial calipers.

1 hour ago, NicolasRamos said:

Here's the oxx on the shelf of my van. I'm doing a slightly different shelving configuration on the new van this weekend, so it will be beside my microwave. Works great! I keep my pods inside my weatherguard center console.

https://instagram.com/p/BO47r7KhaPN/

Dude, that thing is awesome. I actually won it here a while back when the guys voted me for it but OXX never honored the tool release. I really wish I got it for he shop and even my

cruiser. It'd be great out in the field! Awesome stuff. TIA was awesome though so they gave me an Amazon GC but that is really a cool TOOL to have!

• Like 1

Well, looks like I was wrong about that.  Stanley Black & Decker bought the Craftsman brand from Sears today for $900m.  No word yet on what that does to existing warranties.

Well this is going to get interesting. I will get my popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well this is going to get interesting. I will get my popcorn and watch the drama unfold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Dude, that thing is awesome. I actually won it here a while back when the guys voted me for it but OXX never honored the tool release. I really wish I got it for he shop and even my

cruiser. It'd be great out in the field! Awesome stuff. TIA was awesome though so they gave me an Amazon GC but that is really a cool TOOL to have!

Yeah I was torn on weather or not to spring for the tan model, but I waited a few days and oxx brought back their 20% off Black Friday code for the week leading up to Christmas, so I ended up paying only $15 more for the tan! I wish it was a bit darker in color, as it's depicted darker online. But it's still cool.

10 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I picked up a 5 tool DeWalt 18v combo kit with charger and battery plus a 7.2v cordless screwdriver, battery and charger for $100 on Craigslist.

It's funny that I spend money on old, used tools but won't join the 21st century and buy new stuff.

I would spend money on used hand tools and used corded power tools, but I don't think I'd buy used battery-operated tools.  Batteries are always the weak point and you don't know how good they are or how well they've been treated; and of course the manufacturers price the replacement batteries with an eye towards making you consider a new tool.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Nice, i should really buy  myself a bench grinder, thanks for reminding me...

There are a few decent Metabolism, Delta and sunex ones on clearance at CPO. I'm thinking about picking one up myself and fabricobbleing some lockable covers for the wheels so it can't be used. If IG taught me anything, it's that now that I have access to a tig machine, I have to be a dick about not letting people use my tungsten grinder.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Stercorarius said:

There are a few decent Metabolism, Delta and sunex ones on clearance at CPO. I'm thinking about picking one up myself and fabricobbleing some lockable covers for the wheels so it can't be used. If IG taught me anything, it's that now that I have access to a tig machine, I have to be a dick about not letting people use my tungsten grinder.

LOL i always laugh at that autocorrect....

Yeah, if you have something specialty, can't trust just anyone using it...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

LOL i always laugh at that autocorrect....

Yeah, if you have something specialty, can't trust just anyone using it...

Yeah I think I've figured out how to delete metabolism from my keyboard or at least replace it with Metabo. My old phone keyboard was trained to correct anything to metabo but this new one has yet to learn.

2017-01-05_09-18-23

Used the $10 off coupon got in the mail, plus the 15% off grocery bag thing. 

Also got a few plastic anchors and stainless steel screws, 

as well as a drill bit index because my current one is basically a wasteland... 

didn't grab a pic, but it's this one here:

242-3973-1.jpg

I'm sure they're terrible, but I needed a set and they got the 15% off treatment as well

• Like 4