What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

34 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

Well, I am officially set for new tape measures now:

IMG_20170104_160143.jpg

As you can see, I like auto-locking tapes.  The 16' and 12' LeverLock were on sale for $4.99 for the pair at Menards.  The yellow 25' LeverLock was a warranty replacement from Stanley and the red was an impulse purchase from Amazon for $6.92.

The red 25' is a fractional scale and magnetic; the yellow is a center-read scale and not magnetic:

IMG_20170104_160543.jpg

I figure I only need one magnetic tape.  I got them in different colors to easily tell the difference.

While I was puttering around Amazon looking at tapes, I saw these 12' Uline ones for a bargain price and had to snap them up:

IMG_20170104_161637.jpg

They appear to be private-branded Komelon Speed Lock tapes, with fractional scale:

Screenshot at 2017-01-04 16-19-24.png

I paid $5 for those.  Not $5 per tape; $5 for the whole box, shipped free as a Prime add-on item.  And they're pretty nice tapes.  My wife works at Lowe's and carries a tape with her all the time, but the store doesn't give them good ones. I'm going to let her give a few of these out to her work friends.  She'll be the popular girl that day.

How do the Uline tapes feel? They go for $7/ea on Uline ($6 if you order 4 or more) so they're pretty cheap. I'm surprised you found a carton for $5. Makes me wish I needed to buy anything from Amazon so I could pick a few up.

1 minute ago, justinkendall said:

How do the Uline tapes feel? They go for $7/ea on Uline ($6 if you order 4 or more) so they're pretty cheap. I'm surprised you found a carton for $5. Makes me wish I needed to buy anything from Amazon so I could pick a few up.

Surprisingly good.  The tape itself has more of a matte nylon finish than the Stanleys do, and the housing is comfortable to hold.  The thumb button is well-placed, not too stiff, not too loose, and when you pull the tape out you don't feel as much resistance as some other auto-lockers I've tried.  

Of course, for 83 cents each, anything above "shitty" would still be worth the money.  I don't know that I'd pay Uline six bucks apiece for them, but they're much better than typical no-name bargain-bucket tapes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NicolasRamos said:

Received my power in motion battery packs for my 2015 m12 hoodie. The reduced size and weight are unreal. I actually want to wear this thing more! Also it's nice not to have people think you stole something! 7cff8fe1a498ce89259349b30a41ff15.jpg

Also ordered some 6" NWS built Irwin's for $18 5dee696fca7557a9c61a5c9b5056737a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unreal is a good way to describe it, but don't forget the run time, THAT is impressive too!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Theultimatehic said:

I bought a 6" caliper from hf yesterday. Surprised with the quality.  The 150 dollar one that was certified is no more accurate then it. Quite similar actually. We'll see how it holds up though. Also bought a dead blow hammer 4lb from hf. Supposedly its supposed to be a good one so once again, we'll see lol. 

Yep, conductor called it....

"..... But if your needs are a little less about NASA level precision and a little more about really damn close, the HF digital calipers are a really great value. You take something measured on a $150+ Starrett with an accuracy rating of +/-.0001, and something measured with a $14.99 HF caliper (also with an accuracy rating of +/-.0001) and I bet you can’t tell the difference."

See: 

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2014/06/10-best-tools-you-can-buy-at-harbor-freight/

• Like 4

3 hours ago, justinkendall said:

If they truly are rebranded Komelon tapes, they feel pretty good and hold up well. I used a Komelon overseas that I bought from Walmart as a cheap one that I wouldn't care if someone stole it. My only issue I had with it is the seam on the rubber at the front of the button. I dropped mine a couple times (maybe from a 4' height) onto a concrete pad and it broke at the tip of that seam. Theres barely any plastic connected to the rubber right there. Having said that, it didn't have any negative effect on the usage. It held up well in sandy conditions and I still have it and works as good as the day I bought it. 

I would gladly take a carton of those for $5. Great deal. 

7 hours ago, NicolasRamos said:

Received my power in motion battery packs for my 2015 m12 hoodie. The reduced size and weight are unreal. I actually want to wear this thing more! Also it's nice not to have people think you stole something! 7cff8fe1a498ce89259349b30a41ff15.jpg

Also ordered some 6" NWS built Irwin's for $18 5dee696fca7557a9c61a5c9b5056737a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those battery packs are interchangable with the m12 battery pack?!

4 hours ago, dwasifar said:

Surprisingly good.  The tape itself has more of a matte nylon finish than the Stanleys do, and the housing is comfortable to hold.  The thumb button is well-placed, not too stiff, not too loose, and when you pull the tape out you don't feel as much resistance as some other auto-lockers I've tried.  

Of course, for 83 cents each, anything above "shitty" would still be worth the money.  I don't know that I'd pay Uline six bucks apiece for them, but they're much better than typical no-name bargain-bucket tapes.

Thanks, I ended up buying a box of them.

I picked this up for $25 from CL, variable speed and works like new. Filter is perfect:

t3YyWRH.jpg

• Like 3