New ratchets for Jimbo per Bmack

JimboS1ice

You heard it, Bmack vetoed my use of crapsman ratchets that are probably 10 years old that I inherited. So with that being said what should I get?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Protos. About 60 for a 1/2" pear head and 50 for the 3/8. Great ratchets. No regrets. They have options so you can go short arc swing for tight spaces or wider swings between clicks gor torque and durability. If you're looking for a lower end option the performance tool double sided ratchet is really convenient. I have sheared seized manifold bolts with a crescent 3/8 with no problems. Pittsburgh ratchets will hold their own if you are on a budget. And in between option would be a black hawk, sunex, tekton, and Stanley in that order.

I use Mastercraft impact sockets in a kit like this gives me pretty much everything I will ever need with a life time warranty

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-maximum-impact-socket-and-tool-set-119-pc-0581228p.html#.VrATZrIrJqM

and this kit for daily use with ratchets....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stanley-black-chrome-socket-set-164-pc-0589244p.html#.VrAURbIrJqM

Jimbo at the shop I have the 204pc Dewalt mechanics tools and they work great man the only downfall that I can find is that the actual ratchet body is pretty bulky but man we've really out a beating on those guys and none have failed yet seriously if these had came out when I first started at the shop I would've just bought these instead of spending big bucks on other brands don't get me wrong I love my truck box tools but I spent way to much money on those guys. Other than that I really want to add some proto to my box

• Like 2

I like the Pittsburgh ratchets more than Craftsman. Proto is great for USA made but I like Gearwrench 120 XPs, great price and they're smooth.

I suggest getting some Super Lube for anything that you buy, it will make an ok ratchet, much nicer...it will make a nice ratchet, fantastic. Even my low tooth count Williams ratchets are smooth as Pierre McGuire's head but a lot less noisy and weird.

I use a 100 tooth Carlyle roto head ratchet and a long 90 tooth as my go to ratchets. I love them and have never had an issue with them so far. They are available at your local Napa auto parts. The 90 tooth was just a bit over $40. If they were to break warranty would be a breeze too. You just take it to the store and they hand you a new one.

Ill look at proton, Pittsburg aren't much of an upgrade from craftsman.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Jimbo

Yeah I by no means was trying to equate Pittsburgh's to protos. Opposite ends of the spectrum. Protos are really nice. They make beautiful pieces.

0938fa9fc7519e22c2b014a26777b65d.jpgThat and I like the way their catalog is full of pictures like these.

e669753290ea7d0b2bba570d84206bd9.jpgd91cee9f2852d2faac3939a8b03b708d.jpgda3849d16e51b03c14299169befc1ffe.jpg

Those Carlyle ratchets have a pretty good reputation too.

I have owned the roto ratchet for over three years now and it hasn't skipped a beat. I have used the 90 tooth for everything and there have been a few times where I should have used a breaker bar and it still has held up fine. Both are as smooth as day one. I'd highly recommend them.