New ratchets for Jimbo per Bmack

JimboS1ice

You and Comp just got me to spend over $200 today, I've gotta return the favor haha

SNAP ON ONLY! If you're not using Snap On you might as well be using your teeth.

Did you force yourself at gun point to type them words?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Oh ok. I love my Snap-On dual 80 ratchets. Their a bit on the pricy side work great in tight spaces. I'm also a big fan of super lube. Their almost silent since I added some super lube.

I believe Super Lube is what Snap-Ons come with...but I think they only put a dab on the moving parts, none on the engagements. Some recommend not putting some on the teeth but I haven't seen any downside, it doesn't make the ratchets I've lubed slip. I've heard some recommend something less thick (like engine assembly oil) for higher tooth count ratchets.

Also Armstrong's ratchets are highly thought of but they aren't cheap. I think a lot of people would be impressed by Williams Taiwan if they used Super Lube.

Can you tell I was in the market for ratchets last year? haha. I did tons of research.

• Like 1

I believe Super Lube is what Snap-Ons come with...but I think they only put a dab on the moving parts, none on the engagements. Some recommend not putting some on the teeth but I haven't seen any downside, it doesn't make the ratchets I've lubed slip. I've heard some recommend something less thick (like engine assembly oil) for higher tooth count ratchets.

Also Armstrong's ratchets are highly thought of but they aren't cheap. I think a lot of people would be impressed by Williams Taiwan if they used Super Lube.

Can you tell I was in the market for ratchets last year? haha. I did tons of research.

Ha ha Ive been looking at Protos, ill have to check out Armstrongs and Williams

The Williams and Gearwrench will be cheaper than Armstrong and Proto but I still like them. I have a fondness for the Williams handle as it was the style of my first ratchet. Williams would be around $25, Gearwrench 120xp around $30-35, Proto and Armstrong are above $60. (All 3/8" prices)

Conductor562, our resident hand tool expert Admin would put in a vote for Proto and he really knows his stuff.

I think Gearwrench offers the best bang for your buck. You can probably check them out locally if you have an Advance Auto Parts nearby.

I like the ratchets that came in my grey pneumatic duo socket sets. You can buy all three sizes together here.

http://www.amazon.com/Grey-Pneumatic-8912BRQ-Precision-Ratchet/dp/B002YK7D68

They are also available individually. But if you can swing it, just get one of the duo sets. Not sure how much you know about them but they call them duo cause they are impact rated but thin like a normal hand socket set.

Oh ok. I love my Snap-On dual 80 ratchets. Their a bit on the pricy side work great in tight spaces. I'm also a big fan of super lube. Their almost silent since I added some super lube.

. Agree bro the snap ons are very nice I've gotta remember to take a pic of my collection when I'm at shop this week
  • Like 1

The Williams and Gearwrench will be cheaper than Armstrong and Proto but I still like them. I have a fondness for the Williams handle as it was the style of my first ratchet. Williams would be around $25, Gearwrench 120xp around $30-35, Proto and Armstrong are above $60. (All 3/8" prices)

Conductor562, our resident hand tool expert Admin would put in a vote for Proto and he really knows his stuff.

I think Gearwrench offers the best bang for your buck. You can probably check them out locally if you have an Advance Auto Parts nearby.

Your killing me with these ratchets bro!

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on two proto rachtets.  In the 3/8" I went with the chrome quick release, 45 tooth, I also wanted a 1/4" ratchet, ended up with a black 72 tooth that was cheaper than the 45 tooth quick release.  The 1/4" is a round head and the 3/8" is a pear head, hopefully my OCD doesn't kill me for non matching ratchets.

post-51951-0-63111600-1454469688_thumb.p

• Like 2

Your right dude, I found the 1/2" to match the 1/4" for a good price, but I want a 1/2" in quick release... Alkshfblisajbfsailjfvasijfbvaklsfjvklansjfnvlaskjfnvsakljnfv [emoji36][emoji35][emoji857][emoji848][emoji17]

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That would drive me nuts! Looks like you need to pick up two more ratchets already! hahaha

Well dude you got me back from the Canada order, just ordered black round protos in 3/8 and 1/2... No I need more quick release.... Damn it Bmack!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hard to go wrong with Proto,I really love Gearwrench ratchets thou.  The only proto ratchet i have is a 3/4" drive pearhead,ill try and post up some pics later. i have a bunch of Craftsman ratchets,they are all over 20 years old thou,and they still work well,maybe one of these days ill go thru and regrease them and such

There's a ton of good ratchets out there....

Snap On Dual 80s or their Bahco clones

Armstrong MAXX

Wright

I want to give the Proto version of the Facom Palm Control ratchet a try

SK have a following, though I don't really like them

I like my GW XP120

The Pittsburg Pros with the red and black comfort grip are pretty smooth and hellaciously strong... I had to remove an over torqued lug nut and little 340# me was bouncing nearly all my weight on the end of the long handle, probably 450+ ft.lb.

• Like 1

The Pittsburg Pros with the red and black comfort grip are pretty smooth and hellaciously strong... I had to remove an over torqued lug nut and little 340# be was bouncing nearly all my weight on the end of the long handle, probably 450+ ft.lb.

You say those Pittsburg ratchets are strong?

Hey jimbo, how about you stick your new impact wrench on a cheap pittsburg ratchet with a square-square adapter so we can see how strong they really are.

Hey jimbo, how about you stick your new impact wrench on a cheap pittsburg ratchet with a square-square adapter so we can see how strong they really are.

If I recall correctly from prior sciencing you just can slip a 9/16 12 point socket onto a half inch square.

Sounds like a video project to me... Figure out which Rachet model you want to see and I'll see what I can do.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk