New ratchets for Jimbo per Bmack

JimboS1ice

On February 25, 2016 at 0:54 PM, Stercorarius said:

You sound like an expensive guy to know. Mmmmmmmm ratchets...

e784c955ef2b2d4c3d752fb0c317e373.gif

What about moly lube that you use on cam lobes?

I've never used the Moly Lube personally, so I can't critiq it, but I have heard of people using it with satisfaction. 

Jimbo: The 90 tooth Axis Ratchets from Mac are hands down the nicest on the market. Check them out:

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2015/10/mac-axis-series-ratchets-hands-on-review/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Those look sweet

just got some superlube as well!

You won't be disappointed. It's very versitle. I've never had a ratchet it didn't perform well with and I've torn apart at least a couple hundred ratchets. 

• Like 3

On 2/7/2016 at 7:19 AM, redmed said:

Don't knock all Craftsman ratchets.  I have some "Made in USA" Craftsman V series fine tooth ratchets 1/2, 3/8 & 1/4 that I have used for over 40 years and even though I have other ratchets (including Proto) I usually grab these Craftsman V's.   They are old friends that have excelled for years. Easy, smooth movement.  Did I mention they are fine tooth?  When other ratchets have failed due to not enough handle space to engage a new tooth or the bolt is too loose to allow another ratchet to catch.  I get my trusty Craftsman V and nine times out of ten it takes over just fine.  If the Craftsman V fails me (only twice that I can remember) I have a friction ratchet that has saved the day, but it is not as easy to use as other ratchets.  You have to switch the socket from each side of the head to change direction.

s-l64.jpg

I have these same Craftsman ratchets,all over 20 years old,In fact they were the first ratchets ive ever purchased.I also have a few Gearwrench ratchets I really like After reading yalls posts I think this is amost awesome thread as I really love ratchets.. Went thru all  mine this evening and gave them some lube love haha. Here's what I use : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KUA2FI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

We have some of that SuperLube stuff at the shop,its really good stuff.

I have these same Craftsman ratchets,all over 20 years old,In fact they were the first ratchets ive ever purchased.I also have a few Gearwrench ratchets I really like After reading yalls posts I think this is amost awesome thread as I really love ratchets.. Went thru all  mine this evening and gave them some lube love haha. Here's what I use : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KUA2FI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

We have some of that SuperLube stuff at the shop,its really good stuff.

Yea this thread really exploded into something awesome, helped me get my protos!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Those look sweet

just got some superlube as well!

Don't forget to lube the Craftsman, you'll probably see the most drastic change on that ratchet. It will make it a suitable spare ratchet, the sound of it was the first thing I noticed in your video.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Don't forget to lube the Craftsman, you'll probably see the most drastic change on that ratchet. It will make it a suitable spare ratchet, the sound of it was the first thing I noticed in your video.

Yeah,I went through all of my ratchets today. I have a Proto 3/4" drive. I bought a female Proto on amazon for dirt cheap,and with Conductors help got a male kit. Works awesome.

IMG_20160226_205155_zpstw1qzrlx.jpg

• Like 2

I might either throw them in my trunk box or sell them... Give my an excuse to by more ratchets or something lol I have a stanly case in my car...

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've always said everyone should have at least a dozen rats in each drive size. 

I have certain ratchets I prefer for certain tasks, some I like really well in one drive size or configuration, but not so much in another. There's no science behind it, just personal preference I suppose. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BK13 said:

Gotta up my game in the 1/2 and 3/4" sizes...

I was just thinking that recently. In fact, I bought a Kobalt Williams 1/2" ratchet last week, should be here soon. I don't really have much use for 3/4" but I certainly am under equipped in 1/2"...only have a 1/2" breaker bar, 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and some(but not a complete set of) 1/2" sockets. Need to pick up a 1/2" torque wrench too. I let a shop install my wheels after getting new tires and after having a flat I realized they really over-torqued my wheels.

On 2/27/2016 at 11:09 PM, BMack37 said:

Another thing to lube.  Never thought of lubing my ratchets but it does make sense. 

Reminds me of something my father told me "The more you own .. The more you have to take care of"

• Like 2

On February 29, 2016 at 9:30 PM, redmed said:

Another thing to lube.  Never thought of lubing my ratchets but it does make sense. 

Reminds me of something my father told me "The more you own .. The more you have to take care of"

Isn't that the truth. I take 2 solid days each spring and fall just cleaning and lubing tools on top of regular maintainance. When you have tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools and equipment, it's a lot of work to keep it all in good shape.

As for 3/4" drive stuff. I don't use it a lot. I have up to 1-1/2" in 1/2" drive and for years I thought that was the most I'd ever need. Then I ran into a situation where I needed a 1-7/16" that I didn't have, but I brushed that off as a fluke. Then I had to assemble a weight distribution hitch and needed a 1-7/8" that of course I didn't have. Now there was a need, or at the very least, a good enough excuse.

I watched out for the right deal and after a couple months I ended up scoring a mint Proto set from a dealer who'd used it as a salesman's sample for like $150. I added 3 or 4 sizes up to 2". I should be good to go now. I can't see ever needing anything over 2".

• Like 2

I go thru all my stuff fairly often maintenance wise. I do similar to Conductor where a few times a year I really go through it all well. in the end its totally worth it to have all your stuff work like its supposed too.