New ratchets for Jimbo per Bmack

JimboS1ice

I don't know if I'm over thinking how exactly would I do, run the impact and see if the gears strip or what?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would expect if it fails it would just slip, essentially re-positioning the selector switch. I don't think it would be a catastrophic failure on any ratchet other than maybe Blue Hawk.

I don't think it will do anything to be honest, I'm worried that if it grabs and holds that it might kick back on you.

Don't knock all Craftsman ratchets.  I have some "Made in USA" Craftsman V series fine tooth ratchets 1/2, 3/8 & 1/4 that I have used for over 40 years and even though I have other ratchets (including Proto) I usually grab these Craftsman V's.   They are old friends that have excelled for years. Easy, smooth movement.  Did I mention they are fine tooth?  When other ratchets have failed due to not enough handle space to engage a new tooth or the bolt is too loose to allow another ratchet to catch.  I get my trusty Craftsman V and nine times out of ten it takes over just fine.  If the Craftsman V fails me (only twice that I can remember) I have a friction ratchet that has saved the day, but it is not as easy to use as other ratchets.  You have to switch the socket from each side of the head to change direction.

s-l64.jpg

• Like 1

Don't knock all Craftsman ratchets. I have some "Made in USA" Craftsman V series fine tooth ratchets 1/2, 3/8 & 1/4 that I have used for over 40 years and even though I have other ratchets (including Proto) I usually grab these Craftsman V's. They are old friends that have excelled for years. Easy, smooth movement. Did I mention they are fine tooth? When other ratchets have failed due to not enough handle space to engage a new tooth or the bolt is too loose to allow another ratchet to catch. I get my trusty Craftsman V and nine times out of ten it takes over just fine. If the Craftsman V fails me (only twice that I can remember) I have a friction ratchet that has saved the day, but it is not as easy to use as other ratchets. You have to switch the socket from each side of the head to change direction.

s-l64.jpg

That's how the black protos are

Jimbo

Here is a little teaser video of my proto video I'm working on, have to figure out how I want to put them to work in the video but here is them ratcheting, the 45 tooth chrome vs the 72 tooth black

https://vimeo.com/154551869

Jimbo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Pittsburgh ratchets more than Craftsman. Proto is great for USA made but I like Gearwrench 120 XPs, great price and they're smooth.

I suggest getting some Super Lube for anything that you buy, it will make an ok ratchet, much nicer...it will make a nice ratchet, fantastic. Even my low tooth count Williams ratchets are smooth as Pierre McGuire's head but a lot less noisy and weird.

Where can a guy find some of this super lube?

Harbor Freight has it, though for the fine tooth rats I would want to use a lighter weight oil. I use Quantum Hot Sauce reel oil in my 60+ tooth ratchets.

Actually, now that I think about it, despite having at least one tube of Superlube around here, I use the Hot Sauce for everything. I found an old Snap On ratchet (I think 30 tooth, but may be 36) that wasn't working. I just squirted some Hot Sauce in whatever cracks and openings I could find, not even bothering to open it up and clean it, and worked it around a little bit, and now it's pretty smooth.

• Like 1

Looks like it's just Teflon lube with maybe some additives. I think my Napa might have it.

I've seen it at a LOT of different stores. You could probably use a number of different lubes to get the job done but there isn't a single other lubricant with as many specific recommendations as Superlube for ratchets, not even close.

It was really impressive what it did for my Williams ratchets. I wish I would have done a baseline so I can show before and after, it's like night and day.

I've seen it at a LOT of different stores. You could probably use a number of different lubes to get the job done but there isn't a single other lubricant with as many specific recommendations as Superlube for ratchets, not even close.

It was really impressive what it did for my Williams ratchets. I wish I would have done a baseline so I can show before and after, it's like night and day.

You use the grease or oil?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You use the grease or oil?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grease. The fine tooth ratchet you may want to try oil. My fine tooth ratchets are Gearwrench which are dual-pawled so I was able to get away with grease, since it's essentially two 60-tooth ratchets offset in one casing.

Jimbo: You made excellent choices on your ratchets. We've already covered the "palm Control" rats, but the premium pearheads (aka XL Series) are very underrated. They're tough as nails. Very hefty, for better or for worse. The 1/2" are great, but the long 3/8" (J5250XL) is probably my favorite of the series. The design was further refined to create the new 90 tooth Mac Axis Series ratchets that are IMO, the nicest ratchets money can buy and superior to the Snap-On Dual 80 in every way.

RedMed: That RHFT Craftsman ratchet you have is without question my favorite Craftsman ratchet. The V Series was the pinnacle of Craftsman tools. That rat was produced by Moore Drop Forge and as a bit of trivia, those ratchets were not sold individually. The were available only as part of the tool sets.

Get yourself a tube of Superlube or a bottle of Permatex engine assembly lube for ratchet lubrication. Use either sparingly (especially the Permatex).

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI

The Superlube is available at Harbor Freight and probaly better overall, but some rats just prefer the Permatex.

Never use grease. Light machine oil will work, but won't last long. It's about like using alcohol in your radiator. It does the job, just not for long and there are better options.

Somewhere here I have a walk through on rebuilding Craftsman ratchets......somewhere.

• Like 3

Jimbo: You made excellent choices on your ratchets. We've already covered the "palm Control" rats, but the premium pearheads (aka XL Series) are very underrated. They're tough as nails. Very hefty, for better or for worse. The 1/2" are great, but the long 3/8" (J5250XL) is probably my favorite of the series. The design was further refined to create the new 90 tooth Mac Axis Series ratchets that are IMO, the nicest ratchets money can buy and superior to the Snap-On Dual 80 in every way.

RedMed: That RHFT Craftsman ratchet you have is without question my favorite Craftsman ratchet. The V Series was the pinnacle of Craftsman tools. That rat was produced by Moore Drop Forge and as a bit of trivia, those ratchets were not sold individually. The were available only as part of the tool sets.

You sound like an expensive guy to know. Mmmmmmmm ratchets...

e784c955ef2b2d4c3d752fb0c317e373.gif

Get yourself a tube of Superlube or a bottle of Permatex engine assembly lube for ratchet lubrication. Use either sparingly (especially the Permatex).

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI

The Superlube is available at Harbor Freight and probaly better overall, but some rats just prefer the Permatex.

Never use grease. Light machine oil will work, but won't last long. It's about like using alcohol in your radiator. It does the job, just not for long and there are better options.

Somewhere here I have a walk through on rebuilding Craftsman ratchets......somewhere.

What about moly lube that you use on cam lobes?