Putting in some fencing

KnarlyCarl

It's been on the honey do list for awhile now, and I could see thr necessity of it: install a fence along the front of my house to keep my son from running out to the road. And I think it'll really add a nice border between the road and house. My house is so close to the road, and I think this could be one of the best improvements I could do to the place.

Starting off with the tools: Holes!

This tow behind post hole digger worked beautiful, especially since it's been wet and the ground is soft. 6" bit and about 3' deep.

54e55084ffb9d5aecea75d8c9baec17d.jpg

Township didn't care how I ran the fence for the most part, no permits or anything required here for ANYTHING, if you remember me saying that before

Utility was also fine with me putting a fence here, so this is where its going.

17696d5b90e5aea9360a651da9981d19.jpg

I had put a string and spray painted a line last year, then weed killer to make a permanent line in the grass, so I could still see it when the spray paint wore off. I'm glad I did that because I kept putting it off.

The instructions suggested putting a string down by the ground and measuring each post at the same location to get the desired height but I thought that was stupid so I put the string exactly where I wanted the tops of the posts to sit, no measuring required.

4b8cf159076dafb00a71ccdf15a49f81.jpg

Awesome post level, got it from Acme tools for about $6, absolute must with this, not only because it's just one level doing two ways at once, but it straps on with the included rubber band, as the magnets on it are useless, these being aluminum. You couldn't put two magnetic levels on, because again, it's aluminum.

e46d5fcb0b2b8b1441ec5237cd5998d2.jpg

eabb8e1004b880ecbfb64c77367924da.jpg

So I'm working through getting them set in, hopefully will get the rest all set in place today, ready for the rails.

Fencing is made by-

Digger Specialties, no. 0230

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

great job, what are your winters like around your area? we have a very crappy cold winter with frost so setting fence posts with concrete is done with sonotubes and usually lower than the frost line.

great job, what are your winters like around your area? we have a very crappy cold winter with frost so setting fence posts with concrete is done with sonotubes and usually lower than the frost line.

Winters get fairly cold, it can hit 0degF for a couple days here and there but will remain around 20 on average I think. This winter has been very warm, last winter was very cold. Everything around here gets set to 3' and I followed that rule, the frost has never got that far down I've been told. Then fill up the hole halfway with cement mix.

awesome......

18 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Winters get fairly cold, it can hit 0degF for a couple days here and there but will remain around 20 on average I think. This winter has been very warm, last winter was very cold. Everything around here gets set to 3' and I followed that rule, the frost has never got that far down I've been told. Then fill up the hole halfway with cement mix.

awesome, ya littler warmer than our winters as a rule, our city is built on kinda 2 parts a lower and a higher ground area, I happen to live in the higher end but the lower end sees the water table problems more often and you can take a drive in that area and see if people put their fences in properly or not, as new as a couple years and they are wavier that a roller coaster then all of a sudden poker straight and 15 to 20 years old.......

that fence your installing is going to be so nice to have a piece of mind for your little ones.....awesome .........

• Like 1

Out dirt here is too hard to dig with an auger, it's just solid caliche. I dug a trench for a pivot mainline where it got so bad that I broke an excavator tooth and wore the rest down an inch ore more.I've spent so much time digging post holes with a digging bar and a pick. We only go 2' max. Okay, some places an auger is doable, but I was never lucky enough to work in those places, plus my dad would never rent one when he had six kids that he could hand a shovel. For work I'm about to put in several thousand feet of heavy fencing, but we get a skidsteer mounted auger.

• Like 2

Well as the sun went down, I decided to call it a day, at least I got all the posts set. The sections snap into place in the posts on either side. Slide one side in one post, then bring it back into the other post and that's it.

Still have a few sections to put in, and this is already a huge improvement and relief because my wife and son came out to help and we could let him play with us working and knew that he couldn't run straight out to the road.

04d27836099de17fc326ed8bb76bd407.jpg

72a376036ca458c66763c2be33003e40.jpg

There was a few posts I goofed up with, I measured wrong, but I got that figured out before the cement set.

This soil at my house is hard to come by, everything else not in close vicinity to my house is clay, I have nice loamy soil, drains good and grows good.

• Like 2

Great Job on the fence!  And yes I am jealous, when we were looking for our new house, it was down to 2 places.  One was in a beautiful country area like in your pictures, on 95 acres, and one in the tightly packed suburbs, wish I could say I won that battle. 

Thanks guys, it's coming along nicely, and looking back on it, I could have done two things differently. I should have used an 8" bit, because the 6" needs to be that much more precise, and that goes out the window when digging in dirt. Also should have had a hand post hole digger, because some holes were slightly off, and using a spade to open up the hole a little isn't easy.

Wigwag, 95 acres is a lot to have a house on, my property is only on 1 acre, but it's open all around pretty much and it's plenty for us! I've done an absolute metric ton of work to this house and garage, bought it as a repossessed, and started tearing into it.

• Like 1